Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 6:51 am

The definition of God is a hard one, but going by the definitions most dictionaries give me online:

Quote:
1. God
a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.

I think most would agree that God being omnipotent and omniscient is central to the Christian faith.

The thing is, even ignoring that attributes like omniscience and omnipotence are null in the first place, an entity having both attributes is logically contradictory.

I read this in a thread in another forum:

Quote:
The Christian God is completely false. Why? Every Christian on the planet believes God is omniscient (all-knowing) and omnipotent (all-powerful). And yet he cannot be omniscient and omnipotent because ...

1. Omniscience entails foreknowledge
A creature who is omniscient surely knows the future. The Bible confirms: “See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you.” Isaiah 42: 9

2. Foreknowledge entails a predetermined future
God's foreknowledge is supposed to be complete and perfect: “him who is perfect in knowledge” Job 37:16. What does this mean? It means that every event of the future is known to God. Let's make this concrete. If we pick a location, say the Statue of Liberty, and a proposition such as “it will rain today”, then God already knows (and always has known) the truth value of that proposition for every single day into the future, with perfect accuracy. He is never wrong; his knowledge is perfect; if he predicts rain, it WILL rain (wish I could say the same for my local weatherman). As the Bible says “All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalms 139:16.

This complete and perfect knowledge of the future by God amounts to the future being predetermined. Why? It is NOT that God's knowledge CAUSES this predetermination, just as my knowing that Paris is the capital of France in no way causes it to be so … but rather, Paris MUST ALREADY BE the capital of France in order for me to be able to know it. In the same way, every moment of the future MUST ALREADY BE determined for God to be able to know it. [ This is Epistemology 101 - to have knowledge of something, that thing must be true - so for example even God cannot 'know' the capital of France is London. ]

3. A predetermined future precludes free will
If the future is predetermined, God lacks the freedom to change it. Given that God knows the future, for any day God that knows it will rain, can he decide to prevent the rain when that days comes? At risk of proving his prior knowledge to be wrong, he cannot. Thus, God's perfect foreknowledge limits his “ability to do otherwise” and God lacks free will. In the Bible God proclaims “ My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.” [Isaiah 46: 10] Yet he can't even choose between A and B? Hmm.

4. A lack of free will precludes omnipotence
It goes without saying that a being who lacks free will, cannot be omnipotent.

5. Hence, (from 1-4 above) omniscience precludes omnipotence.
God cannot be both of these things, as one of them precludes the other.

Game over.

There's also a video about it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hZka_-elP4[/youtube]

Well, that was easy. I'm getting hungry now, will there be lunch? :D

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 6:56 am

Do you have any confidence at all that the Pope will now declare Christianity a misperception?

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2009, 7:16 am

Henriksson wrote:
I think most would agree that God being omnipotent and omniscient is central to the Christian faith.
I would not agree because the terms omnipotent and omniscient are unclear.

Some more reasonable and realistic definitions of terms:

(a) god is someone or something which is more powerful then me. The personalisation of power for those who are powerlessness. Mother is the name of god for children. An addiction can be a god. The sun can be considered a god for those who depend on her for warmth, light and food. A judge or king can be considered a god to those who are subjected to him.

God is the god who has no god. The one true atheist. The person who is so powerful that no-one is more powerful.

To be all-mighty or all-powerful is to be able to do whatever one chooses to do.

To be all-knowing is to know all that is knowable at the time.

When someone who is all-mighty and all-knowing is fortelling the future he is in reality only communication his plans. It does not follow that the future is predetermined anymore then when we humans where to communicate our plans and the execution here of is within our power. Even all-mighty and all-knowing might change their minds when they discover new evidence (knowledge that was not knowable before).

Last edited by Meta on 13 Jul 2009, 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:27 am

Meta wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
I would not agree because the terms omnipotent and omniscient are unclear.

Omnipotent - All-powerful
Omniscient - All-knowing

Hardly unclear.

And we were arguing what most Christians believe about God, indeed what Christianity is about. You seem more like a Deist than anything else.
Quote:
Some more reasonable and realistic definitions of terms:

(a) god is someone or something which is more powerful then me. The personalisation of power for those who are powerlessness. Mother is the name of god for children. An addiction can be a god. The sun can be considered a god for those who depend on her for warmth, light and food. A judge or king can be considered a god to those who are subjected to him.

'God' seems like a meaningless word in that case. Would I be your god if I am more powerful than you?

This isn't the definition most use when they use the word 'god', BTW.

Quote:
God is the god who has no god. The one true atheist. The person who is so powerful that no-one is more powerful.

OK. And who would that be?

Quote:
To be all-mighty or all-powerful is to be able to do whatever one chooses to do.

[/quote]
No, all that is knowable in all times.

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2009, 7:37 am

Henriksson wrote:
Meta wrote:

When God sent Jonah to Nineveh to tell them that God will destroy them God clearly did not know how they would react, Seeing their reaction God was happily surprised and changed his plan accordingly, negating in the process what he had said that would happen and when it would happen.

Fortelling is only fortelling if it really happens, otherwise it's just a plan or a warning.

You definition of all-knowing is clearly not compatible with the way the bible is using the term.

Last edited by Meta on 13 Jul 2009, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:43 am

Meta wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Meta wrote:

When God sent Jona to Ninive to tell them that he will destroy them he clearly did not know how they would react, Seeing their reaction God was happily surprised and changed his plan accordingly, negating in the process what he had said that would happen.

Fortelling is only fortelling if it really happens, otherwise it's just a plan or a warning.

You definition of all-knowing is clearly not compatible with the way the bible is using the term.

The Bible often contradicts itself. (And there are a lot of contradictions) Your point is?

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2009, 7:45 am

Henriksson wrote:
The Bible often contradicts itself. (And there are a lot of contradictions) Your point is?
Well, if you can define god anyway you want then you can "prove" anything, which makes this topic pointless.

btw. Not ONE contradiction named in that link is really a contradiction. Most are just translation/interpretation difficulties or misunderstandings; Some are based on wrong assumptions.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:57 am

Meta wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Well, if you can define god anyway you want then you can "prove" anything, which makes this topic pointless.

btw. Not ONE contradiction named in that link is really a contradiction. Most are just translation/interpretation difficulties or misunderstandings; Some are based on wrong assumptions.

wrong assumaptions? care to tell us what those are? The bible is clear, in one section Judas, an orthdox jew, hangs himself, which he wouldn't do because its the unforgiveable sin, yet in another part, he explodes and his intestines burst into flames, pretty clear on that count. I have a better question, what gives the bible authority that it is the true word of god? I can make the same arguemnt for the qur'ran, and the Tora.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:58 am

Meta wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Look, I'm just going by the most accepted definition of the Christian God, and in that definition god is omniscient, and knows EVERYTHING in ALL POSSIBLE TIMES. If you asked all the world's Christians, this definition of omniscience would be used by the majority, I bet.

Quote:

Oh right, just shrug that off and stand by your opinion that the bible is flawless. I hope it makes you feel better.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 8:02 am

Henriksson wrote:
Foreknowledge entails a predetermined future

Having knowledge and using said knowledge are two seperate things.

Henriksson wrote:
If the future is predetermined, God lacks the freedom to change it.

Choosing not to alter things does not equate into not having the freedom or being able to change things.

Henriksson wrote:

Apart from the false, overly literal interpretion of gods abilities, there is nothing else in the arguement that suggests god lacks free will or all-emcompassing power.

Henriksson wrote:

Omniscience directly correlates with omnipotence. If you are all-knowing, you are automatically all-powerful.

This "proof" that god does not exist is a poorly thought through joke. I'm not 100% sure how it could be seriously posted into a philsophy forum.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 8:09 am

Quote:
Michjo wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Foreknowledge entails a predetermined future

Having knowledge and using said knowledge are two seperate things.

Really? If you're in 3000 BC and you 'know' that the capital of France will be Paris, you cannot change that so it will be, say, London, because that means you didn't 'know' it in the first place. Kind of simple.

Quote:
Henriksson wrote:
If the future is predetermined, God lacks the freedom to change it.

Choosing not to alter things does not equate into not having the freedom or being able to change things.

But that's the point. God cannot choose to not alter things, since God lacks free will on account of being omniscient.

Quote:
Henriksson wrote:

Apart from the false, overly literal interpretion of gods abilities,

Oh? Elaborate.

Quote:
Henriksson wrote:

Omniscience directly correlates with omnipotence. If you are all-knowing, you are automatically all-powerful.

Why is that?

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2009, 8:11 am

Henriksson wrote:
Look, I'm just going by the most accepted definition of the Christian God, and in that definition god is omniscient, and knows EVERYTHING in ALL POSSIBLE TIMES. If you asked all the world's Christians, this definition of omniscience would be used by the majority, I bet.
:D By your own reasoning THAT definition would disprove God, hence my conclusion: THAT definition is wrong.

And if that makes the majority of those who claim to be christians also wrong then so be it.
Most christians believe is a lot of things which are provable wrong by their own bibles.

Didn't Jezus say that only few (a minority) would find the narrow road? :D His true followers would be hated, hunted, etc. Like him, they would not take any political office. Etc.

You would need a very bright lantern to find one true christian on a very bright day in most cities...

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 8:14 am

if god is all powerful could he make stone so heavy that even he could not lift it? if he can't make it, then he is not all powerful, if he can, it means he isn't all powerful for he can not lift it.

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2009, 8:16 am

cognito wrote:
if god is all powerful could he make stone so heavy that even he could not lift it? if he can't make it, then he is not all powerful, if he can, it means he isn't all powerful for he can not lift it.
You clearly don't understand the law of gravity. :D

Cicero wrote:
... But if all the parts of the universe are so constituted that nothing could be better for use or beauty, let us consider whether this is the effect of chance, or whether, in such a state they could possibly cohere, but by the direction of wisdom and divine providence. Nature, therefore, cannot be void of reason, if art can bring nothing to perfection without it, and if the works of nature exceed those of art. How is it consistent with common-sense that when you view an image or a picture, you imagine it is wrought by art; when you behold afar off a ship under sail, you judge it is steered by reason and art; when you see a dial or water-clock, you believe the hours are shown by art, and not by chance; and yet that you should imagine that the universe, which contains all arts and the artificers, can be void of reason and understanding?

But if that sphere which was lately made by our friend Posidonius, the regular revolutions of which show the course of the sun, moon, and five wandering stars, as it is every day and night performed, were carried into Scythia or Britain, who, in those barbarous countries, would doubt that that sphere had been made so perfect by the exertion of reason?

Yet these people doubt whether the universe, from whence all things arise and are made, is not the effect of chance, or some necessity, rather than the work of reason and a divine mind. According to them, Archimedes shows more knowledge in representing the motions of the celestial globe than nature does in causing them, though the copy is so infinitely beneath the original. ..
Intelligent design arguments win since before 43 BCE

Last edited by Meta on 13 Jul 2009, 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 8:19 am

Meta wrote:
You would need a very bright lantern to find one true christian on a very bright day in most cities...

I forgot, 'True Christian' means 'Meta and everyone who agrees with him'.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 8:19 am

Your reasoning reaches an epic fail at point 3.