Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 9:31 pm

I kind of have a weird thing with movies and I was wondering if anyone else does this too. After I get out from seeing a movie (particularly in theaters but can happen if I rent one too) I feel all weird and shaky and I will shiver and my teeth chatter and I feel kind of nauseous.

Also, I seem to maybe have a hard time differentiating life with the movie? Its like I get totally absorbed in it and forget that it's not real life.. I expect things from the movie to .. keep happening or affect my life in someway? (Lame example but like if I saw a ninja movie I'd have to suppress my urge to sneak around and act like a ninja... or I'd be checking behind every pillar expecting to see hidden ninjas lol). I really hate watching 'end of the world' destruction movies for that reason lol it makes me feel like everything all messed up and will never be like it was.

I get really spaced out and (extra) socially isolated because I just don't know how to act anymore.. normal? Like.. nothing special happened? It kind of sucks to go to movies with other people because they will just act normal and I can't.

Does anyone else do this????
I just finished watching a movie and I feel insane :lol:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 11:27 pm

Movies do sort of warp my sense of reality for a while after seeing them. After an apocalyptic movie when I walk out to the parking lot and everything looks normal it seems weird, and in the back of my mind I'm seeing rubble and dust and thinking about where could I buy survival supplies and a gun or something. :lol: I usually end up thinking/imagining/zoning-out into the movie's "world" a lot when that happens really strongly, and that can bleed out into what I do in actual reality a little (but not such that anyone would notice, I think -- like walking an odd route back to my car or something)

I don't get out and interact much, but doing so after a horror movie would just be too much. (i can't really deal with horror movies, anyway -- the images & 'atmosphere' gets stuck in my head for too long after)

Really atmospheric movies like Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now really sink in and I can have a certain feeling for weeks afterwards.

Don't know the last time my teeth chattered or I felt nauseous from a film. I can get that from particular intense scenes, but not from a whole movie (not since I was very young, at least).

Nightrain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2009, 7:22 pm

I know I can get this way after playing Kingdom Hearts (my favorite video games) I get all twitchy like I'm holding the keyblade and am ready to smash some Heartless or Nobodies. :lol:
Maybe you got nauseous because you worked yourself up during action sequences like you were getting yourself ready to fight but it didn't happen? (Coming off an adrenaline rush?)

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 3:21 am

I don't get the shaky teeth-chattery thing from movies, but I know what you're talking about. Some things give me that, but I can't remember exactly what, heh. No nausea with it though. But yeah, movies sort of mess with me. Oh man, I just watched this movie, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, and I really felt totally zoned and weird by halfway through. The colors made me feel like I was high or something, and that isn't something that happens to me often. XD; And then at the end I still felt totally upside-down in an awesome way. I guess I don't usually go with my friends to the kind of movie that will most often do that to me, just because they like more actiony type movies instead of dreamy or quirky ones. But yeah, I do sometimes feel less talkative and more spacy after movies of all genres. Kind of like the world has shifted a bit, like new things may have been revealed to me, or like maybe I'm drifting around in a dream-world. I don't know.

Somehow I feel like most people must feel this way, like isn't that what movies are made for? To leave an impression? But they don't really act like it. Right after Ponyo, my friend wanted to watch an action movie, or shark week, or something. Something totally opposite. I don't even remember what we watched because I was still in the other movie.

Bullwinkle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2009, 4:33 am

mitharatowen wrote:
I kind of have a weird thing with movies and I was wondering if anyone else does this too. After I get out from seeing a movie (particularly in theaters but can happen if I rent one too) I feel all weird and shaky and I will shiver and my teeth chatter and I feel kind of nauseous.

Also, I seem to maybe have a hard time differentiating life with the movie? Its like I get totally absorbed in it and forget that it's not real life.. I expect things from the movie to .. keep happening or affect my life in someway? (Lame example but like if I saw a ninja movie I'd have to suppress my urge to sneak around and act like a ninja... or I'd be checking behind every pillar expecting to see hidden ninjas lol). I really hate watching 'end of the world' destruction movies for that reason lol it makes me feel like everything all messed up and will never be like it was.

I get really spaced out and (extra) socially isolated because I just don't know how to act anymore.. normal? Like.. nothing special happened? It kind of sucks to go to movies with other people because they will just act normal and I can't.

Does anyone else do this????
I just finished watching a movie and I feel insane :lol:

This sounds like something serious, but at the same time its not "Bad", its just how you are, or actually how you become. I'd say the best remedy is to try to find a friend(s) who can relate to how the outside world affects you and won't judge you for it. Maybe its someone you already know but just haven't been brave enough to open up to.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 10:39 am

Wow, yes. I do this.
Especially after watching movies in theaters, I will feel completely overwhelmed by and immersed in the experience of the film, and it alters my perception of the world... Like your example of expecting to see ninjas everywhere. I also feel drained and a little depressed after watching a movie in a theater; as if going through everything that happens in the movie churns up and disrupts my emotional center. This is an entirely different process from the usual "feeling sad after a sad movie" or "frightened after a scary movie". I feel like I don't know how to get back into the "real world" after a movie. The film made reality nicely scripted and compartmentalized. I go through a bit of shock when at the end, I am expected to get up and get right back into my life again. I don't know what to do and I feel very weirdly out of place.

I think this happens mainly because of sensory integration, and the social complications of being in public and witnessing fast-paced social content on screen.

Perhaps this is why I never see movies :roll:

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 11:36 am

Nightrain wrote:
Maybe you got nauseous because you worked yourself up during action sequences like you were getting yourself ready to fight but it didn't happen? (Coming off an adrenaline rush?)

A good idea but I don't really think so... I don't necessarily feel worked up during the movie. Its just like I get really disoriented afterwards and I don't know how to go back to real life. The teeth chattering.. I have no clue 8O it just happens. I don't recall if I mentioned this before but I also get wobbly and off-balance. It's really weird...

wigglyspider wrote:
I don't get the shaky teeth-chattery thing from movies, but I know what you're talking about. Some things give me that, but I can't remember exactly what, heh. No nausea with it though.

The 'nausea' is very mild and is more of a .. general wrongness. But then again I tend to have weird stomach issues anyway *shrug*

Acacia wrote:
I go through a bit of shock when at the end, I am expected to get up and get right back into my life again. I don't know what to do and I feel very weirdly out of place.

Yes, exactly. What you said sounds exactly like what I'm talking about, Acacia. You didn't mention any physical symptoms but perhaps my shaking is a result of the shock like you mention. That makes sense I think.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 2:11 pm

For me, a movie is lie a book, if I get really involved with it, it may inspire me to do some things - however I can't really say that I go all crazy and act out things. Maybe just make some noises replicating sounds that I heard. lol

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 4:45 pm

Depending on the movie, I get a sense of dis-location, where things seem less real than the movie.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 6:31 pm

Acacia wrote:
Wow, yes. I do this.
Especially after watching movies in theaters, I will feel completely overwhelmed by and immersed in the experience of the film, and it alters my perception of the world... Like your example of expecting to see ninjas everywhere. I also feel drained and a little depressed after watching a movie in a theater; as if going through everything that happens in the movie churns up and disrupts my emotional center. This is an entirely different process from the usual "feeling sad after a sad movie" or "frightened after a scary movie". I feel like I don't know how to get back into the "real world" after a movie. The film made reality nicely scripted and compartmentalized. I go through a bit of shock when at the end, I am expected to get up and get right back into my life again. I don't know what to do and I feel very weirdly out of place.

I think this happens mainly because of sensory integration, and the social complications of being in public and witnessing fast-paced social content on screen.

Moved by movies topic

I get this after I read books, talk to someone, hear music or listen to the radio. I used to call it "atmosphere". You are on to something, when you talk about sensory integration. :idea: :chin:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 7:44 pm

Quote:

I used to get that too. After going to the cinema I'd get into a really jumpy state for about half an hour, it was really fun :) I never felt nauseous, I usually just wanted to take a leak :lol:

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 9:02 pm

Acacia wrote:
Wow, yes. I do this.

This summed up my experience completely. It also takes me awhile to adapt to the sensory overload at the theatre. I feel high sometimes and then overwhelmed.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 9:51 pm

Often times after a movie I have a mood swing after, I don't know why.

And maybe I'll have a dream the next 2 nights about some scenario in it involving myself.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 10:49 pm

You know what, now that you mention it, I become horribly disoriented after a movie.

Alexithymian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2009, 12:32 pm

Never had any problems described above with most movies, but there are exceptions.
EVERY movie made by Darren Aronovsky for example.

Don't know how he does it, but his movies really get inside your brain and mess it all up.
Seen 'Requiem for a Dream' on the big screen once: I was sick for 2 days and I was depressed for at least a month.

I really loved his debut: 'Pi'. Probably seen it 50 times or so... but Requiem was devastating.
I'm not kidding when I say it took me 8 years before I went to the same cinema again and I've only seen 5 movies on the big screen ever since.

Just prefer to watch movies safely at home.

sourus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2009, 8:34 pm

I love going to the theatre and watching movies. Yeah I feel messed up too after walking out of that room. Movies compress a lot of time and only cover relevant details. When I walk out of the theatre I'm hit in the face with all this irrelevant uninteresting stuff. I'm just too wired up for excitement. Its like going from a sauna to jumping in cold water. All this while processing everything I've seen. I dont find the sensation unenjoyable at all though.