Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 2:07 pm

I just learned that when the Bible says Jesus is returning "soon", the word in the original language actually means His return would be unpredictable and sudden, not soon. So, those who use the fact that Jesus has not returned in nearly 2,000 years to say that undermines the veracity of Scripture have fallen victim to this mistranslation. It is never said or implied in Scripture that the Lord's return would happen soon after His ascension into Heaven.

(I won't be back to check this thread.)

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 3:49 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I won't be back to check this thread.

Really?

It's tough to see the point of posting then unless you thought that someones faith might be wavering due to ignorance of that fact and would be strengthened by it.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 4:43 pm

I noticed that mistranslation too. When He does come back though, it will be too "soon" for some.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 5:00 pm

Soon can be seen as a subjective and relative term. I guess I have never seen this used in any type of arguement against scripture. :?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 5:19 pm

claire333 wrote:
Soon can be seen as a subjective and relative term. I guess I have never seen this used in any type of arguement against scripture. :?

One that literally used "soon"? I haven't seen that. Arguments that consider Christ's coming to be falsified by the fact that it hasn't occurred yet? I've heard of those, I even know that Christian scholars who believe in a translation that Christ coming should have already happened do exist.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:13 pm

When he does come back, I hope he has a healthy sense of entropy. All too many people who don't believe in him or can't embrace organized religion - doesn't have as much to do with wanting to be in grand orgies or lie cheat and steal whenever they want. He gave us intellect, gave us little else, and the farther we go from the source book along the course of time and the sad reality of not having the advent of film back then - we're kind of stuck working it out on our own. Believe it or not, he doesn't interject himself and lead the way every time people ask the bigger questions, more often its a deafening silence. While I consider myself somewhat abstractly Christian - I still have no idea who God really is, who Jesus really is, we may not be able to know that accurately until (if) we see both again (ie. if both even exist) - mainly because even if most of the history actually happened, it only reaches so deep into context, which, when your problems in life are of an areligious origin - its tough to sort that one out, or genetic health issues, world economies, from that stance.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:27 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
When he does come back, I hope he has a healthy sense of entropy. All too many people who don't believe in him or can't embrace organized religion - doesn't have as much to do with wanting to be in grand orgies or lie cheat and steal whenever they want. He gave us intellect, gave us little else, and the farther we go from the source book along the course of time and the sad reality of not having the advent of film back then - we're kind of stuck working it out on our own. Believe it or not, he doesn't interject himself and lead the way every time people ask the bigger questions, more often its a deafening silence. While I consider myself somewhat abstractly Christian - I still have no idea who God really is, who Jesus really is, we may not be able to know that accurately until (if) we see both again (ie. if both even exist) - mainly because even if most of the history actually happened, it only reaches so deep into context, which, when your problems in life are of an areligious origin - its tough to sort that one out, or genetic health issues, world economies, from that stance.

To cross-reference another thread:

pakled wrote:
...against stupidity, the Gods themselves struggle in vain...;)

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:34 pm

How do you know he hasn't been back, saw the results of his efforts and sneaked away again in despair?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:37 pm

skafather84 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

To cross-reference another thread:

pakled wrote:
...against stupidity, the Gods themselves struggle in vain...;)

That's my cognitive dissonance with it all. If there is a God, you can find him just as easily by looking at the mechanics of reality - when that thesis goes against the grain, it seems like there's a problem.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:52 pm

To quote the concrete blonde song "tomorrow, wendy":

Quote:
I told the priest, dont count on any second coming
God got his ass kicked the first time he came down here slumming!
He had the balls to come, the gall to die and then forgive us!
No, I dont wonder why, I wonder what he thought it would get us?

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2009, 2:44 am

Are these all mistranslations?

Matthew 10:23

Quote:
When they persecute you in one town, run away to anonother one. I assure you that you will not finish your work in all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Matthew 24:32-35
Quote:
Let the fig tree teach you a lesson. When its branches become green and tender and it starts putting out leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, you will know that the time is near, ready to begin. Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died. Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Matthew 16:28
Quote:
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 13:28-31
Quote:
Let the fig tree teach you a lesson. When its branches become green and tender and it starts putting out leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, you will know that the time is near, ready to begin. Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died. Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Luke 21:29-33
Quote:
Then Jesus told them this parable: "Think of the fig tree and all the other trees. When you see their leaves beginning to appear, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see these things happening, you will know that the Kingdom of God is about to come. Remember that all these things will take place before the people now living have all died. Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:45 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Has it occurred to you that you might just believe in nonsense?

ruveyn

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 4:23 am

Matthew 10:23

Quote:
When they persecute you in one town, run away to anonother one. I assure you that you will not finish your work in all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

This one was fulfilled in part when Christ rose from the dead... He was speaking to individuals who were alive at the time, not primarily to us. A secondary fulfillment of this would be that when He returns we'll still not have finished.

Matthew 24:32-35
Quote:
This is a highly metaphorical passage, and there are multitudes of potential readings of it. This forum isn't the best place to discuss Hebraic metaphor and poetry, because the trolls will jump in with sneering comments. But if you're interested, this is a very good passage to study.

Matthew 16:28
Quote:
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Most of the disciples saw the resurrection, which was the promise of the Kingdom(Judas obviously didn't, he died.) And John who recorded the Revelation could be seen as having seen the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

Mark 13:28-31
Quote:
As above, with the Matthew figtree parable.

Luke 21:29-33
Quote:
Then Jesus told them this parable: "Think of the fig tree and all the other trees. When you see their leaves beginning to appear, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see these things happening, you will know that the Kingdom of God is about to come. Remember that all these things will take place before the people now living have all died. Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

And again... this is one that won't be answered on this forum.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 5:49 am

ruveyn wrote:
Has it occurred to you that you might just believe in nonsense?

ruveyn

Nah, I guess I'm just not smart like you are.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 8:17 am

The thing with Biblical contradictions or inconsistencies, is that people do everything to explain them somehow. The Bible, after all, says it is flawless and perfect, never mind that being a circular argument. So if they encounter some really obvious contradiction, they figure that explaining how two seemingly contradictory things fit together.

Here's an attempt of clearing up some loose threads surrounding Judas' death by Answers in Genesis:

Quote:
The relevant passages are:

Matthew 27:5
Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Acts 1:18
(Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out.
Some people have wrongly assumed that Matthew and Luke (the author of Acts) are contradictory in their account of Judas’ death. Since the Bible is inerrant Judas cannot have died by hanging and died by falling and bursting open. Rather they are two different viewpoints of the same event. For example, if I saw a car hit a pedestrian, I might simply say that the pedestrian died because they were hit by the car. The coroner who came on the scene later but did not actually see the accident might give a graphic description of the injuries to the pedestrian. Both the coroner and I are describing the same event just different aspects of it.

Matthew tells us that Judas died by hanging (death is inferred from the passage). Luke, being a doctor, gives us a graphic description of what occurred following the hanging. The reason for ordering the events as such is twofold. First, if someone has fallen and their internal organs spilled out they would die and so could not subsequently die from hanging. Secondly, even when people suffer bad falls they do not usually burst open and have their internal organs spill out. The skin is very tough and even when cut in the abdominal area their internals do not usually spill out. Thus, it is unlikely that Judas could die in this manner merely from falling.

Gruesome as it is, Judas’ dead body hung in the hot sun of Jerusalem, and the bacteria inside his body would have been actively breaking down tissues and cells. A byproduct of bacterial metabolism is often gas. The pressure created by the gas forces fluid out of the cells and tissues and into the body cavities. The body becomes bloated as a result. In addition, tissue decomposition occurs compromising the integrity of the skin. Judas’ body was similar to an overinflated balloon, and as he hit the ground (due to the branch he hung on or the rope itself breaking) the skin easily broke and he burst open with his internal organs spilling out.

There is no contradiction surrounding Judas’ death; rather, merely two descriptions given by two different authors of the same event.

Makes sense, doesn't it? The bible is inerrant after all, so nothing in it is wrong. :roll:

Going by this reasoning: A man dies, but the events surrounding his death are unclear. Three witnesses claim they know what caused his death. One witness says the man died by a hitman shooting him. Another says a car ran into him. A third claims a flash of lighting claimed his life. The curious thing is, all of them agree with each other.

1) The witness statement is untrue in one way or another.
2) The witness statement is actually consistent. The man actually died by being shot, being run over by a car and being struck by a flash of lightning at the same time.

Going by Biblical reasoning, we should go with 2), since any ridiculous explanation is more likely than it being not inerrant.