Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jimmister
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2009, 5:45 pm

Are they usually biased toward the disabled.

I kind of get the feeling sometimes that they only fight for the lives of those with disabilities to live, but not other lives.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 6:14 pm

I'd fight for anyone's life. If there is a perceived bias towards the disabled, that's only because the disabled are more at risk of being aborted.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 6:20 pm

mgran wrote:
I'd fight for anyone's life. If there is a perceived bias towards the disabled, that's only because the disabled are more at risk of being aborted.

Count me in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 6:52 pm

I'm Pro-Life for all unborn babies, whether they have a disability, or not.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Sep 2009, 7:59 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm Pro-Life for all unborn babies, whether they have a disability, or not.

Same here. My disorder has nothing to do with me being pro-life. I just personally believe life begins at conception.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2009, 8:34 pm

My wife was born at 24 weeks and is a healthy, vivant, & sometimes kinky person. I am very glad she was not aborted.

I do what I can within the law to protest excessive abortions in the US. Less than 1% of abortions fall into rape, incest, extreme defects, or life treating. The rest are simple birth control. Roe v. Wade was the right to patient / doctor privacy.. not the right to have an abortion. Doctors that perform unnecessary abortions should have their licenses revoked for breaking their oath to preserve life.

Sorry for the short rant..

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 12:29 am

Oregon wrote:

I do what I can within the law to protest excessive abortions in the US. Less than 1% of abortions fall into rape, incest, extreme defects, or life treating. The rest are simple birth control. Roe v. Wade was the right to patient / doctor privacy.. not the right to have an abortion. Doctors that perform unnecessary abortions should have their licenses revoked for breaking their oath to preserve life.

Sorry for the short rant..

I agree. There is no need to apologize.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 5:45 am

May I point out that all this "pro-life", "pro-choice" hoo-ha is only a big deal in the USA.

I think the people in most other countries couldn't give a hoot one way or the other.

Why is this?

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2009, 4:34 pm

Wombat wrote:
May I point out that all this "pro-life", "pro-choice" hoo-ha is only a big deal in the USA.

I think the people in most other countries couldn't give a hoot one way or the other.

Why is this?

See what the Catholics say in South America instead of spouting from your opinions of what you "think" they think outside the US.

BTW I am pro-life no matter who it's for.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 4:57 pm

jimmister wrote:
Are they usually biased toward the disabled.

I kind of get the feeling sometimes that they only fight for the lives of those with disabilities to live, but not other lives.

By AS pro-lifers, who exactly are you referring to?

SPARTAN-113
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2009, 8:32 pm

I see it as murder, one way or another. I mean, think of the potential that's wasted. What if Einsten was aborted? Who knows what that fetus could turn out to be, or do. All life at least deserves a chance.

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2009, 11:47 am

Well iam pro-choice that amy cause iam from europe. But i dont see why a woman shouldnt have the right to decide.
I mean if you have no room in to your live carry out a child that you dont want, why should any body have the right to force you? I think killing a thinking feeling beeing is wrong, destroying a bunch of cells that may develop in to one is not so, i otherwise you could say mensstruation and masturbation are murder too, killing also potential humans.

What if they aborted Hitler? the Einstein argument cuts both ways.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2009, 3:53 pm

Fidget wrote:
I just personally believe life begins at conception.

I think life begins when the brain first starts to turn on.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 4:27 pm

I believe life begins when the infant first sucks air into its lungs. Prior to this phenomenal act on the part of the newborn, there is no consent to be here, no agreement to participate in this thing we call life.

Technically the fetus is alive, but prior to that first breath, the fetus hasn't made any declaration of intent.

(Declaration of Intent is an immigration form my grandfather had to file, before he could become a citizen of the US. The metaphor/analogy is clearly applicable.)

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 4:41 pm

Taking your first breath is an automatic and involuntary act. It's clearly not a statement of intent!

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 12:16 am

By contrast (especially to most people on this thread), eugenic abortions are the only ones that I am really squeamish about when it comes to being pro-choice. Even then, however, I have to weigh the evils, and I'd hate to force a kid into this world if they were only going to be undercared for, abandoned and/or abused. I think efforts would be better spent on making the world such that an autistic or other disabled child coming from any background could have just as good a shot as any other kid at reaching his or her maximum potential, so that there would be no justification other than shallowness for eugenic abortions.

Overall, though, I'm too squicked by the sort of body horror involved in being forced through pregnancy to support anyone regulating another's body like that.