Which Star Trek Character(s) Has Asperger's

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2009, 9:04 am

I voted in the poll about Vulcan's. Actually I don't think that Vulcans are aspies. They have intense emotions which they suppress though discipline. I don't think that being totally emotionless is Asperger's. I'm on the spectrum, and I have emotion, and I certainly see a lot of emotion on these forums.

Spock I wouldn't say has Asperger's He can keep a cool head during crises but that is because of his discipline. His human half is somehow supposed to be different from pure Vulcans who aren't half human. His struggle between emotion and logic is supposed to be different because of that humaness. But Asperger's is not a struggle between reason and emotion. It is having a lack of proper emotional response in certain situations.

Some aspies on the forum have said that they like Data. I don't think Data is aspie because he simply doesn't have emotion, until he later gets his emotion chip. Though the episode where he gets in a relationship with a girl is interesting. He has to be explained everything. The girl terminates the relationship and Data picks up his cat and pets it and it purrs. This I believe was supposed to indicate that if the girl had been patient maybe Data could have picked up emotion. However I think that Data is incapable of emotion, unless programmed to act like he is emotional -- until he gets the emotion chip.

Seven Of Nine acts aspie when first introduced in Season Four of Voyager. Though I haven't seen beyond that season I see that she is capable of developing into an NT.

The Doctor is the one I think is most aspie. His bed side manner is bad even after he grows. He consciously studies human interaction in order to try to fit in. And he goes off on topics and bores people.

Some people on this forum identify with Odo from Deep Space Nine. I don't think he's aspie, but he is a character who doesn't fit in with the others of his species.

The Cardashian character that hangs around on the station might be. I don't remember his name I've only seen about half a dozen DSN shows.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

Reg Barclay is the closest I have see to my experience with Asperger's in a Star Trek character.

I am reluctant to ascribe Aspie traits to non-humans, except for those who have been raised in a human context. Worf, growing up with human parents, would be expected to demonstrate human cultural orientation, which could be impeded by his neurophysiology. But, for example, a Vulcan raised among Vulcans may demonstrate characteristics that we attempt to label within a human context, whereas the characteristics are, in fact, neurotypical for that cultural context.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 1:30 pm

Ditto on the Barclay.

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2009, 8:02 pm

Who's Barclay. I've got to look him up.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 8:38 pm

Lt. Reginald Endicott Barclay III, known belowdecks as "Broccoli".

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:36 pm

none apply, they are non humans with diferny physioologies

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:18 pm

t'Pol from Enterprise, because she is awesome in dark rooms when in her underwear :heart:

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2009, 7:17 am

Quote:
The "Aliens" on Star Trek are given human characteristics or they wouldn't be assessable to the audience.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 8:10 am

Reginald Barclay is one of the most painfully believable characters on the show and perhaps a representation of who they think much of the audience would be like (awkward, anxious straight men with obsessions). Perhaps some AS characteristics worked their way into the character, if only by how well they would fit such a depiction (AS as a disorder was not widely-known until well after Barclay first appeared). Of course it all works out OK for Barclay in the end; he becomes more useful and less awkward with each episode he appears in.

Spock is a bit of a walking contradiction, which perhaps makes sense in that he is half-human and half-Vulcan. He is torn between cultures, between races. Similarly with Seven of Nine, between humanity and the Borg. Data's cluelessness is somewhat relatable.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 11:20 am

The closest character I see is 7 of 9, but even that isn't AS. She was assimilated into the Borg as a child and once liberated had to learn how to be human.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 11:30 am

Hector wrote:
Spock is a bit of a walking contradiction, which perhaps makes sense in that he is half-human and half-Vulcan. He is torn between cultures, between races. Similarly with Seven of Nine, between humanity and the Borg. Data's cluelessness is somewhat relatable.

Data does not count. He is non organic. Data is a machine.

ruveyn

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 1:10 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
The closest character I see is 7 of 9, but even that isn't AS. She was assimilated into the Borg as a child and once liberated had to learn how to be human.

her struggles would still be quite similar however, she would have to 'learn' human interactions just like some of us aspies have had to, so some of us could definately relate.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 2:40 pm

Robert312 wrote:
Quote:
The "Aliens" on Star Trek are given human characteristics or they wouldn't be assessable to the audience.

Still doesn't apply

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2009, 3:23 pm

I remember the first NG ep with Barclay. I thought it was stupidly unrealistic that he used characters from the crew in his holograph programs. It saved them money paying for extras. He might have had one or two from the crew, but it seems he would have had his own creations.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 10:06 pm

Robert312 wrote:
I remember the first NG ep with Barclay. I thought it was stupidly unrealistic that he used characters from the crew in his holograph programs. It saved them money paying for extras. He might have had one or two from the crew, but it seems he would have had his own creations.

Whast'nt the point...the point was that he did use crew members.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 11:21 pm

Barclay found that the people in his environment weren't at all like the devices he used so expertly. People did irrational things; they dismissed him for being "weird"; they even mocked his last name (calling him "Broccoli", occasionally to his face).

The people in his holodeck program only did what he expected them to. Of course, being human and thus a walking contradiction, he promptly caused them to virtually worship him...