Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you talk to yourself?
Yes. 72%  72%  [ 87 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Depends. 12%  12%  [ 14 ]
Sorry, I was far too busy conversing with myself to listen to you. 13%  13%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 121

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 10:38 pm

Does anyone else do this? When I am alone (and occasionally when I am not and forget that fact) I will talk to myself. It kind of soothes my anxieties...maybe that is weird. I dunno. But I can have entire conversations as if there are other people around. I try to confine them to my head but occasionally they escape my lips and people look at me like WTF and want to know what the heck I'm muttering about.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 10:41 pm

I do this a lot. My mother has noticed, my ex noticed, and I am sure people passing me in the street notice as I kind of do it all the time now.
I don't really care anymore if it is socially acceptable or not.
It is just a form of thinking out loud to me. Tho sometimes it is an out loud rant at being turned away from a store because I turned up 30 seconds after closing time.

Boomkin
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2009, 11:22 pm

I do this often. I talk about interests that most people aren't interested in hearing about. And if I'm preparing to be in a very public situation I practice answering (possible) questions and talking about topics I know will be brought up.

Sometimes I talk to myself for hours about certain subjects so I'll be prepared for a social situation. I anticipate questions that people may ask me and work out answers so I won't be surprised. It's not like I'm talking to invisible people... I know they arent there. It's just a matter of being prepared for a particular situation.

Yeah, sometimes I do it when other people are around. It just happens. Most of my friends are very cool and just accept that this is the way I am.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:35 am

yes i do this...but alone :P

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2009, 12:47 am

I do it all the time. I don't really see a problem with it, it's a great way to think. I'll even argue with myself sometimes, like if I'm looking for something

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:08 am

Technically, I talk to a hypothetical listener, not myself.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:14 am

All the time, out loud, sometimes even in the third person (addressing myself as a some one separate from myself).

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:32 am

I'm extra weird - I talk to myself in Japanese, but never in English.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2009, 7:23 am

Yes, X Parasite gave it an appropriate description.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 7:29 am

All the time. I do it somewhat silently as I walk down the street; my mouth moves, and a little sound comes out.

I have to admit, now that I have a child in my life, I just talk to him instead of to myself. It looks far more normal. :)

Hayes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2009, 8:12 am

Yes I do...quite a bit as well. Sometimes it merges into the echolalia.

Sometimes I talk to myself by telling myself off for echolalia....and then to tell myself to stop it because its getting too weird.

I do it too loudly though and many times people hear if they are about (but I work at home so its not that bad.)

Sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes not depending on how I feel.

If I didn't 'stop' myself as it were, I'd do it a lot more probably.

I wouldn't mind but I don't always even agree with myself... :)

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2009, 9:47 am

Yes, all the time if i am alone. The only time i talk to myself out loud is if i am 100% alone and only if a am ranting...F* and SH** and all that come out. Actually, that isn't really talking to myself, i don't think. It is the converstions i WISH i could have with someone who p*sses me off, that i haven't been able to say these things to her face. ;)

Boomkin
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2009, 10:21 am

X_Parasite wrote:
Technically, I talk to a hypothetical listener, not myself.

I like this definition.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:12 pm

I like that about the hypothetical listener. It's a more accurate description.lolI talk to them quite a bit. When there's no one around, or within hearing range, I can talk out loud. Otherwise, it must be confined to my head. I can have long discussions with myself on things that interest me.

Mike-09
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2009, 1:36 pm

No I'm silent most of the time whether I'm in company or out of company although i do mutter the odd word under my breath if I'm annoyed or something.

I do most of the talking in my head

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:57 pm

I talk to myself constantly. Often taking two sides of an argument. There's Vyn, then there's Myrryr. One plays Devil's advocate in any given scenario, and the other plays the opposite. Or, one plays the id, the other the super ego. I'm never sure just which I am at any given time and which I'm arguing with. But I do it out loud very often. Apparently it gets on the nerves of people I work with from time to time.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.