Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

was the killing of native americans genocide?
yes 84%  84%  [ 32 ]
no 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 38

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 1:02 pm

Yes. The christians certainly DID commit genocide towards the natve americans. Just look at how few of them there are these days. I've met many white people claiming to have native american ancestry but i don't think i've ever met an actual native american person.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2009, 3:50 pm

Yes there has been ethnic cleansing. Take for instance the Sand Creek massacre. I've only met very few amerindians. One of which was my friend in third grade, though he was technicly only half. I myself am 5% Crow, and strongly suspect that I am a product of the attempt at assimilation, at Carlisle Indian Industrial School, which could be described as cultural genocide.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 6:02 pm

I find it interesting that the Americans who still hold a grudge against Turkey for the Armenian genocide, demanding that Turkey be brought to justice for their deeds, would not do the same for America. I do not see a big difference - everybody involved in the Armenian genocide are dead, after all.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 7:50 pm

No accident topic

There was genocidal intent to wipe out the American First nations culture. The technology was not complex enough to murder all of the humans--that did not happen until World War II. disease and starvation did most of the damage.

In Newfoundland, now a Canadian province, a whole First Nations group called Beothuk was wiped out due to starvation and disease--the last Beothuk died circa 1920, as far as I know. :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 1:23 am

I don't think there's many nations that can go unrecognized when it comes to 'rubbing out' another culture over the centuries; Spain, England, France, and Brazil were also responsible to an extent (no word on what the Russians did in Alaska, but I bet it wasn't milk and honey).

Just finished a book on the Trail of Tears. The problem was not only that the Cherokees had good land, they had the misfortune to have gold under it.

The problem with idealist politics is it requires ideal people; no one's been able to scare enough up...;)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 8:35 am

pakled wrote:

Just finished a book on the Trail of Tears. The problem was not only that the Cherokees had good land, they had the misfortune to have gold under it.

As did the Lakhota. There's Gold in them thar Black Hills!

ruveyn

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 1:40 pm

yes it was, of course im kinda biased with the fact im 1/8th cherokee, and the rest being a combo of german and scandinavian. Too bad the last person on my mothers side who knew the native american legends and rituals died before i was born.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 1:07 am

Hey hey, to clean France's name a bit, we were kinda the lesser evil. <.< (if you can find compelling evidence that says otherwise, i'll back down ._. ) That doesn't mean there isn't any dirt on the french, as i am aware of the human "zoos" where Africans where displayed as animals. =/

Bobby1933
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2009, 1:31 am

I guess I should have said "yes," but I didn't respond to the poll because I felt a yes or no answer would not be quite true. There were, in this hemishpere several thousand groups of people that had their own language and culture, After colonization these all got lumped together as "American Indians" Many of these groups were totally wiped out, either deliberately or accidentally. Technically, if a group of people with a unique language and culture are threatened with extinction simply because they exist, or they threaten someone's greed or political ambition, that is genocide. Genocide must have occurred many times in America, including the United States. But was it ever the policy of an American government to wipe out an Indian nation by violence. I don't think so. True there were many policies that would have had, as one consequence, the destruction of peoples and cultures. And these consequences could have been foreseen. Is that genocide? I'm not sure.