Funniest questions people have asked you about AS

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

18 Dec 2009, 10:12 pm

Or outrageous ones or offensive ones.

Online, someone found out I have AS because he asked me if I do. We were on a topic about something and it made him ask me that. I say yes. So he looks it up and then asks me these questions "I don't mean to be rude but what is your mental age?" and "Are you pt?" (Potty trained) and "Is that why you wear?" (diapers)

I wasn't offended by these questions, I was amused because I was amazed how he could think of these things after he claimed he looked it up but there was one problem, he skimmed the wiki article. I still get amazed by peoples thoughts about AS when they first hear of it but don't even know what it is and they are already making assumptions or wondering the worst stuff of it.

When I first heard of it, I pictured hamburgers and thought no wonder I was stupid (No offense). I just thought it meant no wonder I have difficulty with school work. That was because my mom told me I had it while she was helping me with my homework and I was struggling with it. Then she said "You know what that's called? Asperger's." She could have been referring to my fit I was having or how I was processing the information.
But I never thought of it as mental retardation or other handicaps or psychotic conditions.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 18 Dec 2009, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2009, 10:33 pm

Well, I knew some people at school who thought that people with AS couldn't have sex. :S

And the biology teacher at the same school thought it was a fungal infection similar to leprosy - she may have been thinking of aspergillosis or something.

And some people in my health class were once talking about a documentary they'd seen about autistic savants on TV the previous night, and one of them said 'wouldn't it be cool to be autistic and be that smart', and another said 'well Aietra's smart, and she's not autistic!'

Little did they know... :p. None of them knew about me, actually.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 10:42 pm

Lets not forget the infamous Asperger's translation to "Ass Burgers"

18 Dec 2009, 11:10 pm

When my husband first heard of it through me, he wanted to know what it is and to make sure I won't be chasing him with a knife. :lol: Then he said he was kidding and the point was he didn't know what it was. :?

Oh and this gets better. At Yahoo Answers someone had slept with an aspie after meeting him in a bar and then she was asking if he was mentally challenged or something and he didn't seem like it and if she should be ashamed.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 25 Dec 2009, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:45 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
When my husband first heard of it through me, he wanted to know what it is and to make sure I won't be chasing him with a knife. :lol: Then he said he was kidding and the point was he didn't know what it was. :?

Oh and this gets better. At Yahoo Answers someone had slept with an aspie after meeting him in a bar and then she was asking if he was mentally challenged or something and he did' seem like it and if she should be ashamed.

ive seen that question on yahoo answers!! !!

......oh wait your on my contacts (im LDawnZ) on yahoo answers so no wonder weve seen the same question lol

19 Dec 2009, 12:02 am

I thought you knew who I was on there.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 12:28 am

"Are you sure you are autistic? Why do you look so normal?"

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Dec 2009, 1:46 am

I've had people not ask me questions, but make assumptions out loud, such as, "Oh, so you must be really smart!" Or, "I'm going to ask you a question, and I know you will tell me the truth, because you are autistic." :roll:

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 3:28 am

does that mean u have behaviour problems? :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

Does that mean you have a split personality? Is your split personality Austin Powers?

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2009, 2:35 pm

"Isn't that when you can't tell when people are joking?"

Me: I have Aspergers.
Other:What's that?
Me: A mild form of Autism.
Other: Isn't that like Rain Man?

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2009, 2:58 pm

'Ooh! Have you ever read a book called 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time'?'

19 Dec 2009, 3:34 pm

I once saw at Yahoo Answers someone asking if people with Asperger's know they have it.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:16 pm

Not relating to me, but the guy from Scotland facing charges for hacking into US security computers.

"If he's got Asperger's, then how on earth could he manage to hack into the computers?"

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:31 pm

"So... can you tell me what day I was born on?"

Silly people.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:47 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I once saw at Yahoo Answers someone asking if people with Asperger's know they have it.

Why is that weird? I didn't know. >_<;;
I was like "lol why did they test me? I'm normal."