Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 2:44 pm

Who's going to be following the World Cup this year?

Between June 9 and July 9, I know I'll have difficulty concentrating on anything else.

Most of you are from countries that will be competing (USA, England, Australia).

Does anyone have World Cups as one of their special interests?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 11:30 am

I have a great interest in World Cup Soccer. I've had 13 different England shirts, at one time. I have a feeling that England will win this year's tournament.

joranxerix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2006, 12:08 pm

Go USA. I'm rooting for my country's team in the soccer world cup even though I don't even like soccer. I root for USA in everything cuz I'm a born and bred patriot.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2006, 2:51 am

Don't watch soccer that much, but I do tend to see the WC on television. I was usually up early in the morning when they had the 2002 cup in Japan and Korea. Live from 17 hours or so away. At least this year it is only 9 hours difference.

I prefer to watch the games in Spanish because they tend to offer more emotion than in English. Besides they were the only ones showing the 2k2 matches live anyways so early inthe morning.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2006, 8:39 pm

I think England have a good chance in this World Cup. Semi finals or final.

But the World Cup this year is lacking one important ingredient.... SCOTLAND.

Geordie
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Apr 2006, 3:46 pm

I love the World Cup. Can't wait until it starts in June. A whole month of football on TV. My Mam will be going crazy! :lol: I am an England supporter and of course I hope David Beckham will be holding that trophy aloft on July 9 in Berlin. I reckon we'll probably go out in the quarters or semis though, probably on penalties AGAIN!

CRB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2006, 9:33 pm

I am one of those few Americans who actually loves follwing soccer. To me the World Cup Soccer final is bigger than the Super Bowl. I will bleed red, white, and blue, both for the United States and the Netherlands (I have Dutch ancestry). All I want is for Germany not to win the World Cup.

ruudvandrago
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2006, 1:34 am

I like italians since 1994, when I was 8 years old. Also Holland is good team for me

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 10:00 am

Oh eck the socceroos are in a group from hell. No one's giving them a chance. I don't follow soccer but I'm glad they qualified at least after thirty odd years. Perhaps we need to form a distraction when we're playing Brazil and Croatia. Perhaps one of the strikers should follow Webb Ellis' lead and pick up the ball and run with it ;)

Someone in FIFA needs to help us out at least and tell the Brazilian and Croatian teams the wrong stadium and game time.

Geordie
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2006, 10:33 am

CRB wrote:
I am one of those few Americans who actually loves follwing soccer. To me the World Cup Soccer final is bigger than the Super Bowl. I will bleed red, white, and blue, both for the United States and the Netherlands (I have Dutch ancestry). All I want is for Germany not to win the World Cup.

Good for you, mate. I'm glad at least one American person realises that soccer, or football we call it over here, is the best sport in the world, and beats the boring stop-start three hour American football any day.

In my opinion the United States won't get out of the group that they are in this time, because Italy and Czech Republic have more quality. Ghana should not be underestimated either. The USA will give them all a competitive game, though.

Oh, and I would also hate it if Germany won. Their squad is the worst they've had for years, but they are playing on home soil which gives them a chance.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 5:13 pm

I'll be following it too. Although usually I watch every match in the first couple of weeks, by the later stages I'm burnt out and it's an effort to bother to watch the semi-s and final.

Unfortunately for us English, I really don't think we have a chance of winning it. Much as I'd love to see us win, after 10 world cups (yeah, I know we missed 3...) I'm too aware of the pattern whereby we build up our hopes and then limp through qualifying before getting knocked out by the first half-decent team we meet. I can't see anything different this time - apart from we're possibly more inconsistent than usual and if we get to the quarter-finals that should be considered a good showing, not a disappointment.

I'm not as obsessed with football as I used to be, so I can't make a prediction based on anything other than guesswork. But Germany will do well, they always do and they do have home advantage so I expect to see them in the last 4. Brazil too should do well - although they sometimes struggle in Europe. Watch out for the Czech Republic - they're very succesful for a smaller nation over the last few decades.

Can't wait for it to start!

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 6:28 pm

I don't care who wins

So long as england lose!

I delight in laughing at england fans

And after this lame media witch hunt weve had over Sven good riddance

Zamzara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2006, 8:49 am

I don't usually follow football but I make an exception for the World Cup or other major tournamnets where England are involved.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I believe England will win, but I think they at least have a good chance.

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 10:51 pm

Geordie wrote:
CRB wrote:

Good for you, mate. I'm glad at least one American person realises that soccer, or football we call it over here, is the best sport in the world, and beats the boring stop-start three hour American football any day.

In my opinion the United States won't get out of the group that they are in this time, because Italy and Czech Republic have more quality. Ghana should not be underestimated either. The USA will give them all a competitive game, though.

Oh, and I would also hate it if Germany won. Their squad is the worst they've had for years, but they are playing on home soil which gives them a chance.

I like watching the game whenever I can, too. :-)

BTW, it is my firm opinion that should the USA survive group play, they would have a very decent chance of winning the whole thing. They are better than the team that made the quarter-finals last time and are now ranked 5th best in the World.

'Football' is a sleeper sport here in the USA and is astonishingly popular among the younger crowd. Literally MILLIONS of Americans have been running around on those youth-league fields over the past couple of decades with more doing it all the time and there is just waaaaaay too much raw talent being developed there for the USA to not be a holy terror on the international scene.

Mike

Baz

06 Jun 2006, 9:03 am

I'm a die-hard England fan, even though their style of play really frustrates me sometimes.

I simply cannot wait for the World Cup! It happens only once every 4 years and this year the groups look mouth-watering.

Argentina, Holland, Ivory Coast and Serbia and Montenegro especially, in the same group..SO EXCITING I CANNOT WAIT!!

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 2:42 am

I don't particuarly like nor follow the soccer but my family and friends do so I get roped into staying up til 2am with mates watching the games... :P Anyway, since I'm not a believer in the fact that the Aussies have a chance I'm going for Poland (which isn't going well so far either :roll: but anyway..). I have got go for someone if I'm to care about who wins what when at all! :P And I guess the Polish family thing kinda rubbed off on me.. I did watch the Germany game and some of the Poland game the other night.. it wasn't as boring as I expected! :wink: