Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:31 pm

I have to say it. I never experienced this stuff on myspace.

I got deleted by two people a while back. They were people I never even interacted with. One I really respected and it hurt my feelings.

Once girl deleted me because I didn't respond to her farmville stuff.

Apparently yesterday this girl *blocked* me. Out of the blue, just bam, I"m blocked. She is xtian and once posted a really stupid response to something I posted about a meteorite impact. I mean, it was so stupid it made me really mad, and I was sitting there trying to answer her remark in an intelligent way to educate her, then I said screw it and just gave a simple answer. Then she started posting stupid stuff on her page to refute scientific stuff I was posting, I think she saw my feed (I mean really obvious, I posted about the Hadron collider, she posted about how they can't use it to 'find god' etc). So I hid her feed, which she couldn't have known. Then she posted another religious comment on my page, so I deleted it. It irked me most of all because she hit on me obliquely at a party and she was just using this stuff to incite a dialog. She wasn't even aware of her own motives probably. I don't argue science/religion anymore because it's boring...I don't know, but now I am defriended and blocked and we never even interacted. WhatEVER, as someone 1/3 my age would say.

What sucks is the last two people I talked about, I will see again in real life, there is just no way around it. The first one is a really young girl, daughter of a friend of mine, so I don't care about that. The second one is ridiculous. I use my facebook more like a myspace, it's my 'space' online and if people post stupid or disrespectful stuff on my wall I delete it (doesn't happen often but still....) I'm not devastated about either one but I know it will be uncomfortable when I see them in real life. People act like it's real life, it's just a website, for crying out loud. I don't see how people can treat people this way, honestly, it's so silly and trifling.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:48 pm

Getting blocked/deleted/rejected/etc stinks, yes. Facebook sucks because Facebook = the essence of drama. I do have a Facebook account and part of the reason I have so many random friends there is so that if a real friend deletes me that it will be nearly impossible for me to notice.

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2010, 6:58 pm

It sucks and sometimes it comes out of the blue. I was deleted as a friend by people who I use to talk to all the time for no apparent reason.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:11 pm

I made a decision that I don't really care who is or is not on my Facebook list. It is an option for people if they want to keep in touch that way, but there could be a million non-personal reasons someone wouldn't, so why give much thought to it?

I do confess to being a little concerned at times that more people don't respond to things I post (ie, is anyone reading me at all, or am I just boring?), but I can't control that, either, and so try to let go of it.

I have posted a few times why I don't respond to farmville or other requests, to make it clear it is never personal; I don't want to do that stuff largely because I don't like all the obvious cookies involved and the other data mining aspects. You can't even accept a "gift" without having to say "yes" to all sorts of other crap, and I don't want to.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:35 pm

Some people can be so petty. Let them have their little tissy fits. It's too bad they are so narrow minded that they cannot accept the fact that not everyone has the same beliefs and opinions and that's what makes life so damn interesting. You're most likely better off without them Alana, really.

Taupey

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 10:51 pm

I think that you're better off without having that person, as a friend, on FaceBook.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2010, 11:07 pm

alana wrote:
I don't see how people can treat people this way, honestly, it's so silly and trifling.

Because they are silly and trifling.

Facebook is ridiculous, in my opinion. I got an account for 2 reasons only. One, my kids are on there and I like to keep up with what they are doing, particularly online. Two, because a handful of my LD friends from MySpace, unfortunately no longer use MySpace.

I personally can't stand Facebook. I have 28 friends and 8 of those are family members. Two are good friends and the rest know me from years ago, and *shock* 8O I never talk to them.

What I loved about MySpace was all the bands I got to know about and the friends I made that I actually had something in common with and they were cool. Most, not all, but most, of the people who are really into facebook. are the kind of douche's I had no time for back in High School. Facebook seems conducive to the most annoying drama queens and Narcissists as well, with the constant status updates. pffft really. Plus, I hate all the idiotic applications it has on there. Could I be any more negative? LOL Well yeah.....but I think that about does it

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 12:02 am

i have a facebook but i don't take it too seriously. it's nice to be connected to people from my past even it's just on facebook.
even my status updates are completely random and inconsistent.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Last edited by tinky on 30 Apr 2010, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 12:18 am

I recall having a few FB friends delete me from their friends list--but they were all teachers at my school, and they were probably just apprehensive about being friends with one of their former students on FB, so I can't really be upset with them. They're just trying to stay out of trouble.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 12:33 am

face book is like digital highschool

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 2:13 am

I have Face Book with a very limited number of "friends". Mostly family who live away and closest mates...all three of them.

I suggest you do some culling of "friends" and put the strictest security on your profile, wall etc. I do that and haven't had any dramas thus far.

I have no qualms about ignoring friend requests and I never respond to any farmville, mafia wars stuff... or any other games.

Deleting people who I've accepted but then never interact with is very necessary to me because there would be no point in having them on my list.

Two of my teenage sons have hundreds of "friends" between them!! ! What the??! ! I don't get that.

I've read many a drama on my nieces' walls, which I never comment on, and it makes me cringe. There are other means of airing out the laundry!

However, I must say, I do find it kind of entertaining...teehee :P

alana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 3:57 am

crocus wrote:
alana wrote:
I don't see how people can treat people this way, honestly, it's so silly and trifling.

Facebook is ridiculous, in my opinion. I got an account for 2 reasons only. One, my kids are on there and I like to keep up with what they are doing, particularly online. Two, because a handful of my LD friends from MySpace, unfortunately no longer use MySpace.

I personally can't stand Facebook. I have 28 friends and 8 of those are family members. Two are good friends and the rest know me from years ago, and *shock* 8O I never talk to them.

What I loved about MySpace was all the bands I got to know about and the friends I made that I actually had something in common with and they were cool. Most, not all, but most, of the people who are really into facebook. are the kind of douche's I had no time for back in High School. Facebook seems conducive to the most annoying drama queens and Narcissists as well, with the constant status updates. pffft really. Plus, I hate all the idiotic applications it has on there. Could I be any more negative? LOL Well yeah.....but I think that about does it

this is exactly how I feel about it. And it is getting beyond creepy, I was just on there and went to a link on abc news and on the side column it listed all these articles my facebook friends had shared or read. I never enabled abc news to know who my facebook friends are, but because I was logged in it was showing me this crap. i immediately logged out of facebook before reading the article. that kind of crap is garbage, it is a real turn off.

I love the music on myspace. I want a myspace really bad, what I love is the musicians themselves list their friends and other really good musicians as friends so you get to know so many other bands. Facebook is not about art, it literaly an online "Main Street" (Sinclair Lewis). It's weird too because people who seem to get a lot of comments on their page seem to post mainly about themselves. I want to read news and stuff, not about someone eating a poptart. Sometimes it seems like a 'we are all so bored with our lives let's be bored together so we don't kill ourselves' convention.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 4:01 am

luvmyaspie wrote:
I suggest you do some culling of "friends" and put the strictest security on your profile, wall etc. I do that and haven't had any dramas thus far.

I dont' know what strictest security is, I have everthing on 'friends only'

except, a little known fact, one that really pissed me off, is whenever you post on someone's wall you are subject to *their* security settings. So while yours may be friends only, if theirs are 'everyone' you will be seen by everyone. I had no idea about this. it's nuts.

also, this 'drama' came from someone I met in real life and then added. she seemed normal. in fact, all of the weird sh*t has been from 'realies', I have some musicians, etc on there that I don't know personally but it's the realies that are going outer limits on me.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 8:04 am

A high school teacher of mine deleted me. Another high school teacher never added me.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2010, 9:52 am

alana wrote:
crocus wrote:
alana wrote:

this is exactly how I feel about it. And it is getting beyond creepy, I was just on there and went to a link on abc news and on the side column it listed all these articles my facebook friends had shared or read. I never enabled abc news to know who my facebook friends are, but because I was logged in it was showing me this crap. i immediately logged out of facebook before reading the article. that kind of crap is garbage, it is a real turn off.

I love the music on myspace. I want a myspace really bad, what I love is the musicians themselves list their friends and other really good musicians as friends so you get to know so many other bands. Facebook is not about art, it literaly an online "Main Street" (Sinclair Lewis). It's weird too because people who seem to get a lot of comments on their page seem to post mainly about themselves. I want to read news and stuff, not about someone eating a poptart. Sometimes it seems like a 'we are all so bored with our lives let's be bored together so we don't kill ourselves' convention.

A law professor and some of his students started a class action suit against Facebook last year and their privacy policy. They won it, and Facebook had to change it's policy to go along with Canadian privacy laws. Unfortunately, other internet things like keyword trackers (or what-ever-they're-called) when the web site sells ad space to companies and they advertise based on recognized keywords you've used. Facebook is not alone in doing this btw. I don't like it, but it's hard to get away from now. In fact this site does it. If you log on and you notice that all or most of the ads somehow change relating to the subject of your posts, then they are tracking what you write. Facebook does this even with the content of your PRIVATE MESSAGES.

The whole access to your account and details with every app. is BS. I won't allow any of that crap from a couple of the friends I have on Facebook, who like to use the apps. Thankfully, I don't have any that are idiotic enough to get upset about it. It really is very much like a Sinclair Lewis "Main Street." Good analogy.

I've often made parody jokes about some of the inane status updates people will make. Seriously, it's at the level where I wouldn't be surprised to get someone's toilet rundown.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 11:59 am

I never have drama on facebook.