Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:00 pm

I like to think that most of the time I'm alert to what's going on around me.Occasionally however,I find myself looking back with dismay on some absent-minded things I've done.
I once left the house and convinced myself in my mind that I'd forgotten my watch.Blast,I thought,I wonder if I've got time to go back and get it ? So - I looked at my watch,saw that I had 5 minutes to spare and headed back to the house.To look for my watch.It took me a minute to realise the absurdity of what I was doing.
The other day I made a cup of coffee at work.Later,a colleague came out of the kitchen laughing and saying "Who put the coffee jar in the fridge ? "
Also at work I was looking back through an old file about a shipment to Durban in South Africa and was taken aback to see that on an email I'd mistakenly typed "Dublin" instead of "Durban". Luckily my mistake didn't result in the cargo going to Ireland instead !

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:06 pm

I have laser-pointer attention.

Either it's focused on something intensely and to the exclusion of all else, or it's not focused at all.

So, in answer to your question: I am always absent-minded. I have the ADHD (Inattentive) diagnosis to prove it, too.

The nice thing about the laser-pointer is that when it focuses on the right thing, you can do some pretty amazing things--even though you do have to have three house keys in three locations to have a prayer of not locking yourself out more than once a month.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:42 pm

Callista wrote:

Either it's focused on something intensely and to the exclusion of all else, or it's not focused at all.

So, in answer to your question: I am always absent-minded. I have the ADHD (Inattentive) diagnosis to prove it, too.

The nice thing about the laser-pointer is that when it focuses on the right thing, you can do some pretty amazing things--even though you do have to have three house keys in three locations to have a prayer of not locking yourself out more than once a month.

Twice I've locked myself in because the lock was one of those deadbolts you have to use a key to open either way. It's embarrassing to call work and tell them you'll be late because you've locked yourself in your home. But I'm like you, total focus or none at all.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 9:53 pm

I can be very absent minded, at times. One time, I went into a pawn shop, to buy drum sticks. A fellow member from my clubhouse was right next to me, in the shop, and I didn't even know it.:lol:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 10:05 pm

I think... uhh, um... what was the question again?

Oh yeah, pretty much all the time.

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 10:52 pm

I sometimes got mind blocks i guess. Where my brain wont cooperate and tell me when i was going to say. Like forgetting something i know very well for a short time, it can be very annoying.

pyzzazzyZyzzyva
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2010, 10:55 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think... uhh, um... what was the question again?

Oh yeah, pretty much all the time.

Damn. You beat me to it. I was planning on saying "Wait what was the question again?" -- practically the same as yours. As they say, great minds think alike.

I once looked around the house for scissors when they were in my right hand. I've put dry goods in the fridge and refrigerated ones in the cupboard. I've lost a quart of yogurt and a quart and a half of soymilk that way. And made a jar of honey cold unnecessarily. I once nearly burnt myself by sitting too close to the fireplace. The synthetic fuzz on the back of the jacket glued itself to the glass of the fireplace. I've locked myself out of the dorm several times. I'm so dytzzy.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 12:04 am

I lose track of time. Forget what I am saying mid sentance, Constantly lose stuff, forget names, forget faces, forget how to get places I have been before, Forget to take my blood pressure medicine, the only thing I wish to forget like the memories of school stick with me like my abc's and riding a bike.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 9:24 am

When am I not absent minded?
I'm a notorious scatter brain.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 11:58 am

I'm often far far fay away. I'm AUTistic, so I can be aut (out). It helps me to survive during boring situations. When I do sth, I can do AUTomatic Mode On and I do this thing, but my mind goes away. I don't feel tired.
Sometimes I'm among many people, but I sit and stare at one point. I almost don't hear them and don't feel. I call it half-dead. Maybe it's a way to avoid harms of too-many-humans. They're really exhausting. People like to wave their hands before my eyes.
When I'm alone, I can be totally off. Like a meditation.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:12 pm

I'm the absent minded drummer, pretty much like the real Mick Avory. 8)

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:13 pm

Callista wrote:

I don't have a diagnosis but this sounds like me. I had one of my moments yesterday and took too much of my medication. My mom then gave me a weekly pill container with little boxes for different times of the day. Right now I have only one prescription I take!! I went to take my evenng dose and popped 2 instead of one. I guess because I always take 2 of my Motrin or Excedrin I just thoughtlessly took 2. I also hung up on my landlady. She wanted to talk to my mom and I went outside with the phone, then just pushed the button and hung up. duhhhhhhh

Yet on the other hand I have intense concentration when I create mini artworks, customize dolls, sew doll clothes, and work with my computers.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:21 pm

Yeah, absent minded. I just left to do a weekend job and was about a mile down the road when I remembered I had left some supplies at home. I turned around and when I got home I discovered I had also forgotten to turn a pan off on the stove. Narrowly averted a disaster there. That's the second narrowly averted disaster today. Earlier I took someone to the grocery store. She was talking to me as I was preparing to back out of the parking space and I had it in drive rather than reverse. I just can't think in more than one direction.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:42 pm

Haha, yes.
Once I almost set my teacher on fire. Because she told me to put the Bunsen burner out, so I blew on it, and it sent the flame towards her. XD

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:57 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
I'm often far far fay away. I'm AUTistic, so I can be aut (out). It helps me to survive during boring situations. When I do sth, I can do AUTomatic Mode On and I do this thing, but my mind goes away. I don't feel tired.
Sometimes I'm among many people, but I sit and stare at one point. I almost don't hear them and don't feel. I call it half-dead. Maybe it's a way to avoid harms of too-many-humans. They're really exhausting. People like to wave their hands before my eyes.

Hey, I do this, too. The more stressful a situation is the more I do it. I have to eat lunch with my coworkers everyday and they can be very overwhelming to be around because they talk about inane rubbish the whole time and talk over each other, etc. It's like a wall of yakking - my own petite hell. Though I'm sitting in the middle of it I'm usually off in my own world and not very aware of what they're talking about. So a lot of times they'll fuss at me for not having caught the right info or not joining in. I can't believe they haven't realized this is my own method of self preservation.

People waving their hands in front of my eyes can be feel very invasive. What's wrong with checking out?

As far as putting things where they don't go and little absent minded things like that - I do them sometimes, but not always.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 11:46 am

I am absent minded a lot. Sometimes it's caused by my multitasking.