Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 5:10 pm

I'm terribly absent-minded. If something ain't part of my routine, I'll forget about it, until I've adapted to it and then it will be accepted as part of my routine. My mum says that happens to a lot of people, though. Even she gets like it, and so does most of her friends.

It's November now, but I'm still in summer mode. My mind is still in August or early September time. Each evening I have to make sure I put my scarf, gloves and coat right in front of the front door, so that I will remember to put them on before I go out to work in the morning, otherwise I will just walk outside and feel the cold air hit me, then I have to rush back in and get all wrapped up, then I'll be late for my bus. I have calanders all over my room, and I do know that it is November (because I'm not an idiot), but at the same time I keep forgetting that November means it's getting colder again, not getting warmer.

I can get used to the warmer days in spring quicker, because I look forward to the warmer and brighter weather. :D

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Are you sometimes absent-minded?

No. Exactly the opposite - sometimes I am not absent-minded.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2010, 5:36 pm

Oh, no, I'm * never* absent minded. I'm always extremely focused and --- oh, hey, there's a squirrel. And look, there's a shiny object on the ground. Oooh, pretty sparkles. I like sparkles.
Wait - what was I saying? :P
Yeah, I'm pretty much absent minded all the time, especially when I'm trying to multitask. Even when I'm just doing one thing, I can occasionally forget crucial details of a task if my mind is elsewhere (as it often is). A few months ago, I was heating up a noodle dish in the microwave. This was one of those dishes where you put noodles, seasoning and oil in a little disposable bowl together, then "just add water" before heating it up in the microwave. Guess what this genius forgot to add? :roll: I nearly started a fire in my microwave. I have plenty more similar stories, but I'll refrain from sharing so this post doesn't go on forever.

Last edited by OuterBoroughGirl on 13 Nov 2010, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:27 pm

I'm not absent-minded. I simply get focused enough on my thoughts to forget everything about the outside word.

My thoughts, animals and beautiful women, to be honest... :oops:

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2010, 9:30 pm

The more nervous I am, the more absent-minded I am. Unfortunately, this means that when I do something stupid, it's usually in front of people.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:31 pm

I am very absent minded. That is why I have a wife and and iPhone to tell me what to do.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Nov 2010, 10:15 pm

Hardly. and when it does happen, (like for instance if i leave my keys in the door of my house) it bothers me so much like you wouldnt believe! such a angry time, I mean my goodness!

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2010, 12:16 am

I'm quite absent-minded. I identified strongly as being absent-minded well before I had any idea that I might have some autistic tendencies. Ever since I was beginning my undergraduate degree about 10 years ago, I have told people that I hope to ultimately become an absent-minded professor. Every now and again someone tells me, "You know, you don't have to be absent-minded to be a professor", and I tell them that the absent-minded part comes without trying, it's the professor part I have to work on.

I'm "lucky" (convenient word, though I don't believe in luck) that my absentmindedness is rarely an actual problem - it's more likely to be amusing or annoying than actually problematic - though it has been dangerous on occasion when I'm absent-minded about crossing the street and cross when it isn't really safe. My favourite absent-minded incident:

One time I was walking to my office. I got my keys out of my pocket ahead of time. Holding my keys, I walked up to my office door, and reached into my pocket to get my keys. I felt around and couldn't find them in either pocket and wondered what had happened to them - until I realized that I was already holding the keys in the hand I was trying to find them with.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 12:22 am

YESSSS I can be so absent-minded sometimes lol

Among other things, I don't know how many times I was caught being "in the moon" in class, and like the person who mentions he was looking for his cellphone while talking on the cellphone, this kind of thing happens to me quite often.

Shadi

Last edited by Shadi2 on 16 Nov 2010, 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:51 am

Quote:
The more nervous I am, the more absent-minded I am. Unfortunately, this means that when I do something stupid, it's usually in front of people.

Same with me too.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 11:08 am

So, I take it that I'm not the only one here with a perfect understanding of the comment that "you'dwould forget your head if it wasn't attached?" :lmao:

edited to add:
Ya know, I meant to include a story of my own absentmindedness - but I forgot. 8O

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2010, 2:30 pm

another_1 wrote:
So, I take it that I'm not the only one here with a perfect understanding of the comment that "you'dwould forget your head if it wasn't attached?"

Except I'd argue and say it should be the other way round - the head's what's doing the remembering and forgetting, so the rest of my body is what I'd forget if it wasn't attached.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 4:23 pm

Cassia wrote:
another_1 wrote:
So, I take it that I'm not the only one here with a perfect understanding of the comment that "you'dwould forget your head if it wasn't attached?"

Except I'd argue and say it should be the other way round - the head's what's doing the remembering and forgetting, so the rest of my body is what I'd forget if it wasn't attached.

*chuckle* Yeah, I see your point. I think the logic is that the person in question is so ineffective at remembering stuff that it really doesn't matter if they take their head with them or not.

Either way, I'd say there's less chance of getting this one changed than there is of getting people to recognize that "I could care less" does not mean what intended in its normal usage.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:44 pm

Yes, at times I've been absent -minded during scenarios either from an occupational standpoint or social ones as well..

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 9:25 am

I can be so absent-minded sometimes that once I even went out without brushing my hair! Name one adult female who forgets to brush her hair in the morning (other than me)! :oops: :oops:

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 3:43 pm

sometimes? more like all the time it seems-I can walk into a room and notice if someone moved a chair or took a sharpie off the desk but I cant remember why I went into the room in the first place because I can be a scatterbrain.