Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fremen
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 May 2010, 11:25 pm

Hi all. I currently work as a host and busser at a local Olive Garden. My social actvities consist of Karate on tuesdays and thursdays, and playing Dungeons and Dragons at a local gaming store on Wednesdays and Saturdays. My question is how do I get a conversation going to a potential date after introducing myself? Also, I have the worst luck in getting a first date (i.e. never sucessfully went on one). 99% of women I meet already are either married, have a boyfriend, or work all the time. (I am going to introduce myself to a girl at the gaming store next Saturday over a round of Pokemon cards. (I have an old deck from 1998, and have been teaching my younger cousins how to play.))

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:39 pm

First off, how old are ya? Relative age tends to shift the landscape around, somewhat.

Also, have you lurked around this sub-forum a bit? There's certainly quite a lot that's already been said, curious if you've read some of it.

Rock on with the D&D btw. :thumleft:

Fremen
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 May 2010, 11:59 pm

I'm 23. I've read some of the posts on here, but my question is how to word questions about music, art, or books. Interest questions. Thanks for the D&D compliment. I had played when I was 7, then the Sega Genesis came out. I rediscovered D&D while at college.

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

19 May 2010, 1:33 pm

So it sounds like this girl has the same interest in games as you do. Is that right? If so, at least you know you have something in common. I would start by asking her about that. I would say something like "I've seen you in here a few times before. How long have you been playing ___________". Then go on from there. Ask her how she got in to playing that game and what other games she's interested in. Just start it off with something like that. If she seems to be friendly and responding to you positively (smiling, asking you questions back), just move on from there. Like maybe, "Aside from hanging out around here, what else do you like to do with your free time". And just keep going on from there to talk about music or whatever else. Just be friendly and try not to sound like you're badgering her for information. When you do talk to her, let us know how it goes. I'm curious now :D Good luck, but if it doesn't go that great, that's fine, too. I think you'll be fine, though.

By the way, my boyfriend is 23 and a big a computer geek. He has recently started getting back in to tabletops like Warhammer 40k and old school board games like Risk and Diplomacy, but he has never played Dungeons and Dragons. I'm not so much into "geek culture" (although I do have some Warhammer Orc figures that i've assembled and need to paint), but I tell him he's not a true geek until he's played D & D :wink:

Fremen
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2010, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the confidence boost. Now I'm looking forward to Saturday. Btw, Risk is Awesome!

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 1:56 pm

Just ask her out! Simple. Logical. Not dangerous in any way. Possible answers: 1) Yes. 2) No. - Continue playing! Smile!

Fremen
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2010, 11:44 pm

Didn't get the chance to talk to her this week. My car battery was dead this morning, and it didn't get fully charged until about 8:00 PM. I did get a good session of D&D in, though.
Do any of you get frustrated when other things in life screw up potential opportunities? Dating seems, for me, like having to conquer a country. You can only prepare for some of it, but surprise attacks can mess up the whole attempt. I don't know... I seem to be "Lucky at cards, unlucky in love." At least I get to watch the season finale of Lost tomorrow.