Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lolcatsrule_123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2010, 4:19 pm

The school have been telling me for months to tell my class about my aspergers because it will 'help them understand you better'' and ''stop the bullying'', i have gave in and want to make a plan on how to tell them
the teachers basically wanted to go in and say, ''look, hollie has aspergers'' ect ect, tell them a bit about it then leave and throw me to the dogs the next day
but my plan is to go in, get all the teachers out and tell them myself and be able to answer any questions they have
tell me your experiences and what do you think is the best option out of the two, or suggest your own :)

Amber-Miasma
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2010, 4:28 pm

No experiences as such but I face the same kind of difficulty in a few months time when my college starts :S they said they'd arrange someone to come in and give a presentation to my class on Aspergers (I assume with some involvement with myself) for me but only if I wanted that. I've got to give them an answer when I go for my induction so I'm in a total dilemma :x

Good luck and please tell me how it goes for you, I'd be interested to hear about everyone's reactions to finding out.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:36 pm

lolcatsrule_123 wrote:
The school have been telling me for months to tell my class about my aspergers because it will 'help them understand you better'' and ''stop the bullying'', i have gave in and want to make a plan on how to tell them
the teachers basically wanted to go in and say, ''look, hollie has aspergers'' ect ect, tell them a bit about it then leave and throw me to the dogs the next day...

Gosh, how terrible and anquishing for you! At the Kelberman Center for Autism, a staff member willingly attends each school in its community and explains to every student/client's class what Asperger's Syndrome is, how to better understand it and any "bullying" is immediately put to a stop.

A caring, sensitive ADULT has a much greater ability of getting the "message" across to your student peers without the stress and anquish you, no doubt, be feeling when doing it alone.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:46 pm

We have a good autism support group in our area, and they are going into my son's school to offer training for the staff (following an incident when a staff member who should have known better treated my son like something she'd trodden in rather than a pupil... despite the fact he wasn't at fault, and she knew of his diagnoses.) So, I think making sure the teachers know what the score is can be a good start... also, they are planning on doing a school assembly on aspergers. They will be working with the local group to make sure that this is done sensitively and well. Hopefully this will make life easier for my son, and others at the school.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2010, 12:11 am

There was a specific instance of an AS kid getting singled out in my school. I have no doubt it was, in the end, a negative experience.

I don't know. To me, I want to be treated like everyone else and do not share my diagnosis period. Not even administration knew/knows I have it. However, this is in part because I was diagnosed late, which in of itself was due to my ability to blend in better than usual. So I don't know, I guess it would depend on the situation.

Is your every day experience bad enough that some (small minded) kids will see you as handicapped?

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2010, 4:26 am

The way I did it, and I go to college, was in my Oral Communication class we had to do an informative speech. I did mine on Asperger's Syndrome, which is what I have. I did the basic criteria list of characteristics, and I provided how each affected me. Then of course we had the class ask questions after and everyone had a question. I was very happy with the responses and questions, especially when they all were positive. After that, my whole class gave me a new respect and I had more friends. Also, talk about the talents of Asperger's, as well. That helps big time. Good luck to you.