Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:31 pm

I wanted to bounce this statement I got in a phone consult off of you and see what you think of it.

As soon as I told the particular doctor that I thought either more severe ADHD than I thought, or mild AS was a possibility, I was told that the fact that I had called him ruled out AS because it made me too social.

This occurred at the start of the conversation, pretty much as soon as I said I was seeking some help.

Thoughts?

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 3:42 pm

What is with the weird doctors etc. lately, if you don't get the courage to ask HOW WILL YOU EVER FIND OUT!

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:48 pm

:lol: Last time I checked, going to a doctor wasn't considered to be a social event of any kind.

Brija
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2010, 3:48 pm

8O *picks jaw up off the floor Sorry. Utterly speechless.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:51 pm

Plus...here's an after thought...

How does she/he know how long you agonised and how long it took for you to muster up enough courage to be able to present to her/his practice?

Edit: :oops: Sorry, of course you did say phone consult. Though I still imagine picking up the phone would have taken quite some courage.

Last edited by luvmyaspie on 05 Jul 2010, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

This wasn't an in-person visit...it was a phone consult.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

I'd say that doctor has nearly NO understanding of AS or Autism. Ask him/her to put you in touch with a real expert.

That statement reveals a PROFOUND lack of knowledge about Autism. He shouldn't even be offering you an informal comment, much less a diagnosis.

So...

What does he think? That social difficulty means you shouldn't even be able to talk to someone on the phone?

I would be looking for another doctor if I were you. That would be enough for me to fire him/her. It's easy to do with doctors. Just quit seeing them! :D

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:59 pm

I have not even made an initial visit at this time.

(I am refraining from other comments at the moment to allow the discussion to evolve without interference.)

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:06 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
This wasn't an in-person visit...it was a phone consult.

Wow...I really botched this one up didn't I :lol:

Sorry SoSayWeAll, I did realise after I read MrXxx's post and edited my second post. :oops:

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:08 pm

Not a problem...I've been guilty of misreading things myself. :)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:11 pm

Yes, I've also been told that over the phone. In fact by the UCSF Medical Center (which is a med school). Anyway, that doctor is a dumb-ass. Or maybe he/she they thinks ASC's are a fad, and that he/she must therefore make up new, arbitrary diagnostic criteria such as "cannot use a telephone." Or that anyone with a PDD is "ret*d."

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that medical people always think logically, and follow criteria. If you're having a heart attack, or get cancer, they tend to, but for other things they go with their gut-feeling/initial-impression no matter how wrong that might be.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:23 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
I wanted to bounce this statement I got in a phone consult off of you and see what you think of it.

As soon as I told the particular doctor that I thought either more severe ADHD than I thought, or mild AS was a possibility, I was told that the fact that I had called him ruled out AS because it made me too social.

This occurred at the start of the conversation, pretty much as soon as I said I was seeking some help.

Thoughts?

:roll: Doctors...

:shrug: They're only practicing...

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:25 pm

Coldkick wrote:
What is with the weird doctors etc. lately, if you don't get the courage to ask HOW WILL YOU EVER FIND OUT!

dont ask me how, but we are supposed to know everything right off the bat. we are supposed to follow rules that we dont know, we know one rule: you are not allowed to ask what the rules are. :shrug:

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2010, 4:35 pm

Calling a doctor is considered social? :? :lol:

luvmyaspie wrote:
Plus...here's an after thought...

How does she/he know how long you agonised and how long it took for you to muster up enough courage to be able to present to her/his practice?

Edit: :oops: Sorry, of course you did say phone consult. Though I still imagine picking up the phone would have taken quite some courage.

That's true for me. Sometimes it takes time for me to work up to being ready to call.
Often the actions/results are seen, but not the thoughts and process, and because of this there are misunderstandings.

Reminds me of this quote: "And sometimes this happens even after you have tried to make attempts at explaining to people that the effort you appear to be putting out, at the surface, is an incredibly minuscule fraction of the effort you are putting out internally, and requires the sacrifice of a lot of other things. But since all of the effort and all of the sacrifice takes place "backstage," nobody has any reason to believe it exists. They see you talking; therefore, talking must be easy. They see you moving around; therefore, motion must be effortless. (Possibly one of the reasons why some autistic people have talked about being treated less strangely, and as more of a person, if they use a wheelchair-- it's a clear advertisement that movement, at least, is not effortless, and the fact of its being there means there's "something wrong" which makes all your other "quirks" understandable, even if they can't fit those quirks to a pattern.) Maybe it's like being a duck-- you appear to be gliding smoothly across the water surface, but underneath the water where people can't see, you're busy paddling like hell. ~ an anonymous autistic student, "And People Still Fail to Get It, Again and Again"

MrXxx wrote:
I'd say that doctor has nearly NO understanding of AS or Autism. Ask him/her to put you in touch with a real expert.

That statement reveals a PROFOUND lack of knowledge about Autism. He shouldn't even be offering you an informal comment, much less a diagnosis.

So...

What does he think? That social difficulty means you shouldn't even be able to talk to someone on the phone?

I would be looking for another doctor if I were you. That would be enough for me to fire him/her. It's easy to do with doctors. Just quit seeing them! :D

I agree.
If that's what it meant, then that means I wouldn't be able to do my job (I'm a secretary and part of my job is to call people).

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:53 pm

Wait! Wait!

I know!

When you're on the phone, the person isn't right there in front of you, so you have to use your imagination more!

That's it! That's why if you have Autism, you couldn't possibly use a telephone!

Come to think of it, you wouldn't be able to post on a forum either!

Lalalalala! None of us are Autistic! We can all stop posting now! :roll:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 5:23 pm

OK...seems like the consensus is pretty clear--that I was right for my BS-O-Meter to ping when I heard that statement--and so QUICKLY, too!

I may or may not have AS. That's fine. But it seems like this guy doesn't have an open mind, and I don't think I could work with him.