Your most challenging special interest

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 5:46 am

Hi.

I wondered if people like to give themselves challenging special interests? One of mine is to find out as much as I can about quantum physics and the quantum theory. I keep reading and watching what I can whenever this SI takes over me. It is mind bending stuff but I think it is worthwhile because of the fact it is difficult to understand.

What other difficult topics do people delve into?

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:43 am

I want to become a dolphin trainer after I finish my uni degree becoz i love dolphins

but i have poor motor skills (really bad at any sport) and am scared of water (was drown once when i was a kid)

so i think it'll be challenging :D

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:46 am

Quantum Field Theory is a hoot once you get done with the single-particle stuff. It's ironically where particle physics starts even though you learn about particles before then.

Before/during college I read Einstein's original papers on General Relativity, but it was too much of a leap mathematically. So I went and read some simpler books and got some of the ideas and some of the math. It's good if you time such interests to coincide with college! Unfortunately, they don't teach GR at the undergrad level, so that's as far as I got.

My brain can't do that kind of stuff anymore, so I stick to less challenging projects these days.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:50 am

also...my other special interest....dentistry....is quite challenging

considering that it's kinda hard to get into the course i'm at the edge of failing my degree :? *stupid depression and anxiety*

Melbi, stop blaming on depression and anxiety...! !!

But ya, it's quite challenging but I love it :heart:

I love getting rid of people's tartar using ultrasonic scaler :heart:

ok Melbi you're going too far!! !

sorry :oops:

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:56 am

Languages are challenging for me because I tend to get interested in one language as I'm learning another one and as a result end up knowing bits and pieces of a bunch of languages but never a complete one. I wish I could stick with one and learn it well, but it never seems to happen.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:00 am

Drumming is a challenging interest, because the guys that I jam with, on Friday afternoons, throw a whole bunch of different songs at me, and each song has its own beat. It's quite fun. :)

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2010, 7:02 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Hi.

I wondered if people like to give themselves challenging special interests? One of mine is to find out as much as I can about quantum physics and the quantum theory. I keep reading and watching what I can whenever this SI takes over me. It is mind bending stuff but I think it is worthwhile because of the fact it is difficult to understand.

What other difficult topics do people delve into?

Yeah.. quantum physics i find interesting too. One book i really loved which you may like is "The Yoga of Time Travel: How the mind can defeat time." (its all about quantum physics and consciouness) ... by Fred Alan Wolf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Alan_Wolf

A challenging special interest I give myself is playing "House" (like that tv show House). I like to diagnose people who have mystery illnesses :) (and spend a lot of time doing that)

Cockney.. i used to do drumming and loved that too. I was learning African drumming, but then my teacher moved away so I couldnt continue with the classes (its so fun drumming in a group with people taking up different tempos.. lost in the music).

Last edited by violetchild on 17 Jul 2010, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:03 am

Celoneth wrote:
Languages are challenging for me because I tend to get interested in one language as I'm learning another one and as a result end up knowing bits and pieces of a bunch of languages but never a complete one. I wish I could stick with one and learn it well, but it never seems to happen.

that's cool 8O what kind of language did you learn?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:23 am

melbi wrote:
Celoneth wrote:

Over the years - French, Spanish, Italian, Sindarin Elvish, Japanese and Chinese - out of all of those I only know French pretty decently and currently trying to stick with the Chinese.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 8:18 am

Celoneth wrote:
melbi wrote:
Celoneth wrote:

Over the years - French, Spanish, Italian, Sindarin Elvish, Japanese and Chinese - out of all of those I only know French pretty decently and currently trying to stick with the Chinese.

wow that's a lot!! !! !! !

I already know Chinese and English (obviously) and a little bit Japanese...

I want to learn Japanese, French, Italian, Persian (Dari), and and and and, I think that's it for now :P

I'm thinking of sticking with Jap first, and then French...and if I can learn both well, I'll think about the others :?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 8:20 am

Rockets

I always aspire to send something to the moon when I'm interested in such.

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 8:45 am

Celoneth wrote:
melbi wrote:
Celoneth wrote:

Cool, you learnt Sindarin Elvish, that's still on my list, I don't speak a lot of languages (Dutch and English fluently, German almost fluently and a little French, Spanish and Italian), but I can understand them. But I have been thinking of learning Swedish, from what I saw, It's a mixture of English, Dutch and German and it's writing is very phonetically, in my opinion not so hard to master. And off course expand my vocabulary on the languages I know.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 1:43 pm

Wow, I just realized that I have NO special interest right now at all! But I think it's because I just started dating someone, so I guess he's my special interest. I think whenever I start a relationship, THAT replaces any current special interests.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 1:55 pm

Meerkats. A friend of basicaly my best friend wanted to feature me in a documentaty and fly me out to Africa to see them and play with the meerkats at my best friend's meerkat santuary. They couldn't find any sponsors and Animal Planet didn't want to do it because Meerkat Manor was in the works.

Before Meerkat Manor came out, I was the subject of nasty bulling due to my meerkat special intrest but when Meerkat Manor came out, I was instantally considered cool and everyone was "obsessed" with meerkats. Why is it only okay to be obsessed with something if everyone else is too? Nt's are so weird.

The Cincinatti Zoo finnaly got them again (becuase Meerkat Manor) and when I asked how I could go in and interact with them, they made me and my mom wait for hours only to give us a number of the people who make the zoo rules. I suspect they will say no and my mom keeps putting off calling it becuase she knows if they do I will have an epic meltdown and possibly another nervous breakdown. Just let me play with a meerkat already.

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2010, 2:10 pm

Video game design, one of those things that can be easy or hard depending on which route you take. Most people sit there and play them not realizing how much work was put into them - enemy AI, logic, collision detection, ranking algorithms, graphics rendering, etc etc. It baffles me but at the same time I'm intrigued, enough so to try my hand at it (sorta)

An amateur at the most, but with everything else you have to start small and work your way up...Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are my projects. Takes time I don't have anymore....

PunkyKat wrote:
Before Meerkat Manor came out, I was the subject of nasty bulling due to my meerkat special intrest but when Meerkat Manor came out, I was instantally considered cool and everyone was "obsessed" with meerkats. Why is it only okay to be obsessed with something if everyone else is too? Nt's are so weird.

I saw the thread you posted in and checked out that message board. The way those pricks treated you was uncalled for, but then with a forum motto like that it was going to happen anyway. Hold on to what you are interested in, not everyone else, and make something out of it.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 3:11 pm

Icelandic. It isn't an easy language, and I much prefer staring at it or thinking about it to actually obsessively reading about it or learning inflections and vocabulary, but I've obviously made progress since I first started it. It doesn't really matter if I'm slow at it, or if it is practically useless.

Skilurðu þetta? Ég vil að fara til íslands senn. ;__;