Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 6:22 am

It is said that autistic children don't draw attention to themselves is that true for Aspies too?

yagottalaff63
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2010, 6:30 am

When I was a little kid, I would completely freak out if my parents bragged on my reading or spelling ability to their friends or if attention was called to me in any way. I just wanted to curl up and disappear, and I'm sure it showed since I can't hide my feelings very well. To this day, I can't handle compliments very well, and if I'm singled out at work for anything positive, I still want to run and hide.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 7:09 am

Perhaps not knowingly or intentionally draw attention, but the reality is that they probably end up with more attention (positive and negative).

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 7:25 am

I hate attention - I don't really know if people notice me, because usually I'm not paying attention to them - but they typically don't approach me so either I do a good job of being invisible or I'm weird and off-putting. Negative attention isn't that bad because then I get an indignant need to defend myself, but positive attention sucks - I get horribly embarrassed and don't know what to say.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 7:56 am

What about artists like Andy Warhol who drew attention with his wigs and his art?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:21 am

I remember wanting to lecture people about my special intrests but that's all I found other people good for. If they wanted to talk about how pretty my eyes or clothes were or how good my grades were or whatever, I just turned right back around to my special intrests.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:33 am

yeah I often draw attention to myself but i do not think this is due to my autism

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2010, 10:48 am

I draw attention to myself because I often end of taking the spot of smartest or one of the smartest person/people in the class. I often try to melt into the woodwork, and get a kick out of using my invisibility to sneak up on people.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:55 am

When I was in school 1st grade to 10th grade I did my best to be quiet so know one would notice me. It seemed like I had a big sign over my head that said pick on this kid the teacher do not mind if he gets abused. The teachers never paid attention to me untill I started fighting back then I was seen as the demon seed or something. People just f**k with me out the blue for no reason when I was a kid. I am thankful I am bigger than most people now so I hardly get tormented now.