Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 11:08 pm

Supposedly he kicked the bucket August 2nd. I'd love to find out the details. I'd also like to discover the location of his grave site so we can all go piss on it if we are ever in the area.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 12:33 am

This is all I was able to find:

http://www.mynews4.com/story.php?id=24495&n=122

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 1:23 pm

I'm sorry but... who? XD

TheNewRepublic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2010, 1:53 pm

More info (and a wiki link (w00t!))

http://the-newrepublic.blogspot.com/201 ... m-two.html

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 1:58 pm

Ah OK, so he was another one of those quakes who thought he found the cure for Autism? Like the doctors who thought you can cure problem kids by having the parents smother them with pillows in a strange attempt to revive the birthing process? :P

TheNewRepublic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

That's pretty much the kind of thing we are dealing with.

If you've the patience to read all 33,000 words, Hans Asperger's 1943 paper is here - his approach to educating autistic children seems rather more enlightened than Lovaas'.

http://conversationalhysteria.blogspot. ... ne_15.html

Also if you follow the references cited in Dawson and Gernsbacher's letter, and pick your way through the science - it's not difficult to gauge the level of scientific support for the idea of ABA - it appears to me to be very little.

Also (again) from researchAutism.net (a most respectable institution) - http://www.researchautism.net/intervent ... nfolevel=4

Because there are many different interventions, programmes and techniques which incorporate the principles of applied behavioural analysis it is not possible to provide a ranking for applied behavioural analysis as a whole.

However there is very strong positive evidence for some individual interventions that use applied behavioural analysis, such as early intensive behavioural intervention. There is less strong but still positive evidence for other approaches which use applied behavioural analysis, such as incidental teaching and pivotal response training.

Thus there is still a need for more research in some areas. For example,

Research is needed to evaluate the longer term effects of those interventions and techniques which incorporate the principles of ABA– most studies involve only relatively short follow-up periods
There is a need for more comparative studies of interventions and techniques vs. other high quality, autism specific pre-school programmes.
Although some randomized control trials have been conducted these are small in number and the quality of the alternative intervention has not necessarily been of a high standard. .
Any new research will need more focus on fidelity (of both the ABA-based interventions and the comparison interventions) There is also a need to explore in much greater detail moderators and mediators of treatment effectiveness.
In particular, the characteristics of the children who do, and do not respond to intervention require systematic investigation.

Moreover, several recent reviews (Howlin et al; Rogers and Vismara, Reichow and Wolery) note that although certain types of ABA, notably early intensive home based behavioural interventions, clearly work for some children many children show little change sometimes after years of therapy. Others may even regress during the course of treatment.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=593_9tGB3hs[/youtube]

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:15 pm

and look how he feeding these kids. wtf. :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtRod0V57HU&feature=related[/youtube]

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:32 pm

Who is this guy and what are these videotapes? Why is everyone glad he's dead?

NOT A DOCTOR

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:13 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Who is this guy and what are these videotapes? Why is everyone glad he's dead?

he is a doctor that thought he found the treatment to make kids with autism act normal. but also he treated kids with other developmental disabilities ( ABA) i believe he created.

and the video tape is his collection that was place on YouTube that showed his method
be done on kids with developmental disabilities he treated them like gimme pigs :roll: @ the doc :evil: :!:

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:10 pm

Yay!! !!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:20 pm

This is the best thing that's happened to me in my life, never mind all summer! :DDDDDDDDDD

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:11 am

Looks like yet another sociopath bites the dust. None that requires mourning.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:42 am

Whats so hated about Lovaas?
I'm not really familiar with the man but our son is being taught using principles based on ABA and they work very well so far.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:44 am

my son is being taught using ABA techniques and seems excited about working.....I will say I've been very careful and removed him from two programs I found inappropriate for him. He's making good progress....I will say this Lovaas looked creepy and weird.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:08 pm

nostromo wrote:
Whats so hated about Lovaas?
I'm not really familiar with the man but our son is being taught using principles based on ABA and they work very well so far.

let me explain in a phrase: children are not animals to be trained with food or pain.

in the original form, the treatment involved 'aversives' like physical punishments or electrical shocks. just like researchers are criticized for using on rodents.