Are there any Aspies with Below Average IQ?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 8:56 am

xemmaliex wrote:
even though i am only self diagnosed, i can say that aspies tend to have average to above average IQ and HFA's average to below average. its not been proved, but it has been used as a tool my many professionals to distinguish between the two conditions.

But this is not largely circular? After all, if we used hair color as a tool to distinguish between the two conditions (blonde - AS; brown - HFA) in the end it will be true that aspies will tend to have blond hair and HFA brown hair.. simply because they are diagnosed in these way.

Another point is that a diagnosis of AS only cane made if a diagnosis of HFA can't be made; then, by definition, ALL the cases when the professionals don't know if they are AS of HFA (and "invent" tools to decide how is the better diagnosis) are HFA.

Quote:
i myself have an IQ on the BBC test the nation quiz (which is official) of 84, which puts me in below average, but i am still debating on whether i have aspergers or high finctioning autism.

I think 84 is low-average (I suppose that below average is <70).

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 9:15 am

84 is still in the normal range though bordeline depending on the test. Sometimes, mental retardation starts at <85.
On this page, 84 seems pretty normal though it is on the lower end.
According to this one, you are a point below the average range. Yet, according to that, my father is a "high genius" and had done nothing to change the world. :lol:

IQ does not evaluate all of one's abilities nor his success in life and can be underestimate in some cases or overestimated in others (people who answer randomly may have a higher score than if they had anwsered honestly).

By the way, dead people's IQ have been "calculated" but not tested, there is no proof that those who changed the world would have done so well in an IQ test, there are various ways to answer to a question.