Executive function test & Dyslexia test

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:57 pm

I got 108 (70th percentile) on visual memory... yet I hit the space bar twice accidentally because I thought the words would change in appearance once selected by me in order to make me sure the test was working... :lol:

I got only 33 (3rd percentile) on the second test... but realized my mistake, I mean, I kept hitting the answer I did not want to select, I do not know why... perhaps this is exactly what was evaluated in the test, however I think we tend to be nervous when doing these things and thus we can have a different score.

Well, in both cases, I did not do what I thought I should do... but I admit I needed time to adapt to the second test (whereas the visual memory test was easy, I kind of disappointed because I still remember the words though I am pretty sure one of them as escaped my mind), I was kind of slow sometimes in shifting attention. I think my score would still be pretty low on this one.

What is this linked to ?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 3:19 pm

Interesting.. I took it twice.. the first time on the memory I got above average (around 70 something) and second time I got average (51) and both times I did horribly on the shifting attention (1st percentile 8O) I even thought I did better on the second time because I took more time in trying to get the answers right but I guess I didn't.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

Verbal I scored average (66th) percentile
Executive Functioning: "very low", 1st percentile - wtf? I knew I wasn't good at this sort of thing but geez, how about a curve for sympathy? 8O

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 3:53 am

Celoneth wrote:
Interesting.. I took it twice.. the first time on the memory I got above average (around 70 something) and second time I got average (51) and both times I did horribly on the shifting attention (1st percentile 8O) I even thought I did better on the second time because I took more time in trying to get the answers right but I guess I didn't.

I tried to take the tests a second time too, shortly after the first time. I did not do so well on the visual memory test because I still remembered (and still remember them now) the words of the first list.

I still was on the 3rd percentile for the shifting attention thing though I tried my best not to fail... well... It seems that we are not good at shifting attention :lol: But I think the visual memory thing should not be taken twice as long as you remember the list. :D

According to LD OnLine, executive function is linked to these abilities :
Quote:
1. Inhibition - The ability to stop one's own behavior at the appropriate time, including stopping actions and thoughts. The flip side of inhibition is impulsivity; if you have weak ability to stop yourself from acting on your impulses, then you are "impulsive." (When Aunt Sue called, it would have made sense to tell her, "Let me check the calendar first. It sounds great, but I just need to look at everybody's schedules before I commit the whole family.")
2. Shift - The ability to move freely from one situation to another and to think flexibly in order to respond appropriately to the situation. (When the question emerged regarding who would watch the cats, Robin was stymied. Her husband, on the other hand, began generating possible solutions and was able to solve the problem relatively easily.)
3. Emotional Control - The ability to modulate emotional responses by bringing rational thought to bear on feelings. (The example here is Robin's anger when confronted with her own impulsive behavior in committing the family before checking out the dates: "Why are you all being so negative?")
4. Initiation - The ability to begin a task or activity and to independently generate ideas, responses, or problem-solving strategies. (Robin thought about calling to check on the date of the reunion, but she just didn't get around to it until her husband initiated the process.)
5. Working memory - The capacity to hold information in mind for the purpose of completing a task. (Robin could not keep the dates of the reunion in her head long enough to put them on the calendar after her initial phone call from Aunt Sue.)
6. Planning/Organization - The ability to manage current and future- oriented task demands. (In this case, Robin lacked the ability to systematically think about what the family would need to be ready for the trip and to get to the intended place at the intended time with their needs cared for along the way.)
7. Organization of Materials - The ability to impose order on work, play, and storage spaces. (It was Robin's job to organize the things needed for the trip. However, she just piled things into the car rather than systematically making checklists and organizing things so important items would be easily accessible, so the space would be used efficiently, and so that people and "stuff" would be orderly and comfortable in the car.)
8. Self-Monitoring - The ability to monitor one's own performance and to measure it against some standard of what is needed or expected. (Despite the fact that they're off to Missouri without knowing how to get there, with almost no planning for what will happen along the way, and without a map, Robin does not understand why her husband is so upset.)

The tests only focuses on the 2nd ability, I do not think it show an executive dysfunction, juts a difficulty in this area.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 5:03 am

Verbal Memory....71... 3 percentile....low
Executive funcioning......86.....16 percentile.....low average

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:01 am

bee33 wrote:
I don't know what it says about me that I don't understand the scores... :)

What is the difference between Subject score and Standard score?

I suspect that "subject score" is your raw score, and that "standard score" is your score "normalized" in a way were "100" is the score of the average person.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:47 am

lostD wrote:
I tried to take the tests a second time too, shortly after the first time. I did not do so well on the visual memory test because I still remembered (and still remember them now) the words of the first list.

I still was on the 3rd percentile for the shifting attention thing though I tried my best not to fail... well... It seems that we are not good at shifting attention :lol: But I think the visual memory thing should not be taken twice as long as you remember the list. :D

Yes you're absolutely right - I took them like a week apart too, and still remembered the words from the first list which is why I did worse probably.

lostD wrote:
Quote:
1. Inhibition - The ability to stop one's own behavior at the appropriate time, including stopping actions and thoughts. The flip side of inhibition is impulsivity; if you have weak ability to stop yourself from acting on your impulses, then you are "impulsive." (When Aunt Sue called, it would have made sense to tell her, "Let me check the calendar first. It sounds great, but I just need to look at everybody's schedules before I commit the whole family.")
2. Shift - The ability to move freely from one situation to another and to think flexibly in order to respond appropriately to the situation. (When the question emerged regarding who would watch the cats, Robin was stymied. Her husband, on the other hand, began generating possible solutions and was able to solve the problem relatively easily.)
3. Emotional Control - The ability to modulate emotional responses by bringing rational thought to bear on feelings. (The example here is Robin's anger when confronted with her own impulsive behavior in committing the family before checking out the dates: "Why are you all being so negative?")
4. Initiation - The ability to begin a task or activity and to independently generate ideas, responses, or problem-solving strategies. (Robin thought about calling to check on the date of the reunion, but she just didn't get around to it until her husband initiated the process.)
5. Working memory - The capacity to hold information in mind for the purpose of completing a task. (Robin could not keep the dates of the reunion in her head long enough to put them on the calendar after her initial phone call from Aunt Sue.)
6. Planning/Organization - The ability to manage current and future- oriented task demands. (In this case, Robin lacked the ability to systematically think about what the family would need to be ready for the trip and to get to the intended place at the intended time with their needs cared for along the way.)
7. Organization of Materials - The ability to impose order on work, play, and storage spaces. (It was Robin's job to organize the things needed for the trip. However, she just piled things into the car rather than systematically making checklists and organizing things so important items would be easily accessible, so the space would be used efficiently, and so that people and "stuff" would be orderly and comfortable in the car.)
8. Self-Monitoring - The ability to monitor one's own performance and to measure it against some standard of what is needed or expected. (Despite the fact that they're off to Missouri without knowing how to get there, with almost no planning for what will happen along the way, and without a map, Robin does not understand why her husband is so upset.)

The tests only focuses on the 2nd ability, I do not think it show an executive dysfunction, juts a difficulty in this area.

That's quite helpful and you're right again - alas, I have quite a lot of problems with most of what's on that list.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 9:05 am

lostD wrote:
Quote:

Oh my god, these are all me. both of the therapists I have seen have recommended medication but I've been hesitant about taking it. Maybe I should reconsider...? Reading this list makes me feel sorry for my husband. He really has to deal with my shortcomings on a constant basis. Thanks for posting this.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 10:04 am

I did horrible on the test for both memory (what was I doing again?) and executive functioning here are the results:
Verbal memory ( I have always been bad at this, I kind of have to do this for mental status exams by remembering 3 words and I almost always fail with this) I got a standard score of 42 with a percentile of 1
Executive functioning I also did horrible and I realized it it seems the test was tricking me into putting down the wrong answers because it was confusing me I got a standard score of 63 which is also in only the 1 percentile.
The highest score was during the Shifting Attention Test for correct reaction time and I got a standard score of 83 and the percentile was 13. Wow! 13! At least its in the double digits and not a 1 like the others!! Is this a form of intelligence? Or is this just memory and how you focus your attention? I already know I have problems in this. For the memory aspect, sometimes my memory gets so bad I barely remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Other times I am able to remember something that happened 10 years ago in detail. My long term is much better than my short term memory. Its just my old age (27) that is showing. I already have hot flashes!

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2010, 5:26 pm

i received the opposite pattern of scores as everyone here. i scored in the 1st percentile (very low) for verbal memory and in the 47th percentile (average) for switching attention. i am not surprised about the 1st one. the 2nd one is not very high either. i only made one error, but my response time was slow.

either way, these scores are lower than my intelligence, which is in the near gifted range.

i get really nervous on timed tests and i think i could have scored higher.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

Oops, double post

Last edited by elderwanda on 05 Sep 2010, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 6:44 pm

My verbal memory was in the 95th percentile. I made no errors at all in any of the word memory parts of the test, so I assume my only weakness there was not being quick. Well, I guess I was reasonably quick, but 5% of the people who took the test were quicker than I was.

My shifting attention was in the 81st percentile. I only got one error in my response, so again, it looks like my weakness was in my speed.

That's no surprise at all. It fits with my life experience in general. In whatever job I have, even if I'm reasonably good at it, my bosses always complain that I'm way too slow. "Why don't you pick up the pace?"

I noticed that as I was seeing the words, I visualized a specific example of the object. Even now, I still remember 12 of them. Like for "turkey", I saw a foil-wrapped chocolate turkey from See's Candies. Part of the thing that made this easy for me is that those words were all easy things to visualize. If it had been a to-do list, or if I had to remember a sequence of numbers, that probably would have been a lot harder.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 6:56 pm

Yeah....

So, I bombed "verbal memory" and got an "average" on executive functioning. Oh well. Rote memorization is not one of my strong suits.

--XFG

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 7:45 pm

did it twice.
40th verbal % Average
5th executive % Low

58thh verbal % Average
5th executive % Low

Time on the exec was over 1000 each time

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 11:34 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Yeah....

So, I bombed "verbal memory" and got an "average" on executive functioning. Oh well. Rote memorization is not one of my strong suits.

--XFG

me too! i can't even memorize my own original song lyrics. but i also scored average on executive function.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 12:05 am

hyperlexian wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Yeah....

--XFG

me too! i can't even memorize my own original song lyrics. but i also scored average on executive function.

my husband tried it and he scored average on both. he told me his technique, which i tried, and i improved my verbal memory by 50 percentiles! !! !

he said he created a scene in his head, with visuals of all of the objects. i tried that, and the pictures didn't hold up in my head, but what did last were the little sentences of a story i made up (the church was by the fountain. that sailor looks silly next to the joker... etc.).