Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 4:18 pm

Do you think that it's possible to fall in love with someone's name? Like their name is somehow better then everyone elses?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:22 pm

I fell i love with a birthday. Same as mine.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:26 pm

It's possible that I'm just still in love with the person...but I just really like the name Morgan (I'd post her full name but it is the internet...)

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

jdcnosse wrote:
Do you think that it's possible to fall in love with someone's name? Like their name is somehow better then everyone elses?

i love certain names. i am a writer, and for years i have kept a list of names i like. i collect them to be turned into characters.

so i say sure, like you could fall in love with a word or a color or a leaf or a building or a pen.

but if a name has a strong positive association with a person, to me it's like finding a quirk endearing, the strange way someone pronounces something or their odd writing or something else that reminds you of the person.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

I think it's possible to be in love with the name, but probably wouldn't work without the person. And maybe you wouldn't be in love with that person if they didn't have that name.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:49 pm

Names definitely have more or less appeal. I like names like Amy, Melanie, Stephanie, Jessica, Cassandra, etc. more than I like names like Erica, Paris, Laura, Pauline, etc.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 6:09 pm

It wouldn't be possible for me to fall in love with a name, person, place or thing. I can become fond of things and people though. Right now I have a personal fondness for jet skis and motorcycles, but I don't love them.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 6:31 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
Names definitely have more or less appeal. I like names like Amy, Melanie, Stephanie, Jessica, Cassandra, etc. more than I like names like Erica, Paris, Laura, Pauline, etc.

D: two of my names are in there

i think you associate certain names with negative or positive feelings depending on people you know who've had them. a name that i think is the ugliest in the world could be transformed into one i love if i meet someone fab that goes by it.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 6:42 pm

IDK, I guess it's possible for a name to make you love someone more. I really like the name "Lisa" but I'm yet to fall in love with someone with that name.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 7:27 pm

I randomly gained such a random attachment to certain names that if I had kids, that's what they'll be named. But I have grown attached to other names just b/c I care for people who happen to have that name. I tend to disconnect the person from their name unless they "match up".

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 7:37 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
D: two of my names are in there

i think you associate certain names with negative or positive feelings depending on people you know who've had them. a name that i think is the ugliest in the world could be transformed into one i love if i meet someone fab that goes by it.

Nothing personal, I tried my best to not use any names which I can recall anyone here having.

Me personally, I wasn't. I think the only Melanie I've ever known was a b***h for example.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm

i become semi-obsessed with some names. a girl i work with is named Anastasia, but she is greek, so i replay the sound of her name in my head with a greek accent.

but then, i also replay certain words in my head that have a satisfying sound. right now, it is 'tardive dyskenesia' lol...

i've had a crush on 3 jasons and 4 daves, but it was based primarily on the commonality of the name.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 10:13 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
but then, i also replay certain words in my head that have a satisfying sound. right now, it is 'tardive dyskenesia' lol...

i do that, every time i see someone with it.

it's a beautiful sounding term for a rather disturbing condition (disturbing to me because i don't know of any cause for it besides psych med side-effect)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 10:22 pm

katzefrau wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

it's a beautiful sounding term for a rather disturbing condition (disturbing to me because i don't know of any cause for it besides psych med side-effect)
yes, it IS beautiful-sounding, isn't it? i had no idea someone else in the world would do that! (i'm totally smiling IRL)

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
katzefrau wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

yes, it IS beautiful-sounding, isn't it? i had no idea someone else in the world would do that! (i'm totally smiling IRL)

ta-da! i guess there are two of us. :)

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 12:48 am

Molly. :heart:

I dated three Mollys. (Mollies? :lol: )