Page 1 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2010, 12:09 am

I just got back from a party, well i did nothing there, just sip, little by little, alone, while everyone else chatted away like it was the same as breathing.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 12:12 am

Corp900 wrote:
I just got back from a party, well i did nothing there, just sip, little by little, alone, while everyone else chatted away like it was the same as breathing.

I generally hover around the refreshment table and try not to bump into people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 12:15 am

I sit beside the radio, drinking a Coke.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 12:20 am

At parties involving pools, I usually kill at pool sports.
At parties involving drinking, I just stay back.
At parties involving video games and soda, I'm the one screaming YOU CAN'T KILL ME with an audience.
At parties involving karaoke, I stand back and let a few people embarrass themselves before I kill a few songs.

Long as there is a good activity to own at I'm there being the center of attention.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 12:45 am

Anyone else awkwardly sit in a corner alone?

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2010, 12:49 am

I get drunk and go to omegle.com on somebody's computer

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 1:01 am

LAN party! Counterstrike or Quake, either way it'd be a lot of fun.

Also build our own computer party, comic book convention, SciFi convention. Gosh!

A party-party, as in a social gathering where people go to get drunk and have sex with someone they just met? Don't even bother.

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2010, 1:09 am

Usually the wall flower. Sometimes I retreat into the study and read the hosts books or just sit outside under the stars listening to the night noises. I'm happy with a glass of wine or a good Italian coffee and a comfy chair which I'll stay in and wait for people to approach me for conversation. If they have a pet then I spend a lot of time with it rather than the people.

At a family party like Xmas (the only party I can be bothered attending occassionally anymore) I get stuck in the kitchen preparing food if there's room and it's not noisy or sitting outside listening to conversations, watching people and enjoying the fresh air. When gifts are opened I love watching and analysing recipient's expressions and how the giver reads them. I hate getting presents because I know my face is not reflecting how I feel and I hate surprises.

I made the mistake, at the last grown-ups party I attended with a BF 13yrs ago, of commenting on the hostesses pregnancy while we were talking to her and her partner. As it turned out, she was pregnant but had not told anyone not even her partner and I blew the surprise. ( I have a gift of sensing mammalian pregnancy)

When I was a child all my birthday parties ended in tantrums, I locked myself in a room or hid under the house.

During the teens I found it easier to turn down invitations to parties than torture myself trying to fit in, even avoiding all graduation celebrations. The ones I couldn't avoid ended with someone hurting themselves, usually me, because I was too heavy handed and prone to hyper-activity when high on sugar and food colourings.

I've worked as a bouncer (crowd control) for pubs and clubs and I can no longer go into these environments without feeling like I'm at work, watching everyone, spotting the trouble makers, drug dealers, drink spikers, taking note of everything the security guards and bar tenders do wrong.

I went to a Woodford, alternative arts and entertainment, Festival and totally loved it because I could be me, I could be weird and totally fit in. The vibrancy and variety of the festival, the endless energy surrounding me day and night distracted me from all my own inhibitions. I was annonymous but at the same time I felt the whole festival was my very own party.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 3:18 am

I for one don't go in the first place :P

If I absolutely have to, as has been the case in the past, I usually sit in the corner with a drink waiting for it to be over.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:05 am

Quote:
How do Asperger people party?

I don't.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:44 am

I'll be traveling more than an hour today to attend a family birthday party. They live way out in the country in an old converted one room schoolhouse. It will be nice to see family but there will be a lot of people I don't know and I'll run out of whatever it takes before long. Last year I found myself on the edges of the property videotaping wind in the trees or sitting with the dogs. I haven't been to a regular party in over 12 years. Even if I knew people I would just stand paralyzed by the wall, hoping that alcohol would help (no).

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2010, 5:35 am

Did anyone say party?! ! I'd get drunk, organize drinking games to get even more drunk and then try to hit on everyone (regardless of sex, because I'd be too wasted to tell the difference)...

No seriously, I don't party. :roll:

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:41 am

Science_Guy wrote:
Anyone else awkwardly sit in a corner alone?

Yes, I do that. I don't usually socialize much with other people at parties. I just sit somewhere alone and observe the others and listen, without participating. If someone starts a one on one conversation with me I participate, but never in group conversations.

If I start to get bored, but think it may be too early to leave, I just daydream or redecorate the house in my mind. If it's a party where people are drinking alcohol, I usually leave around the time when they're getting drunk, because I find drunk people really boring and pointless to interact with, since they won't be remembering any of it. If it's a party where people are not drinking, I usually leave around the same time as other people start leaving, unless I'm feeling a meltdown coming up, then I leave earlier.

I often have a meltdown after parties. For some reason that is particularly common after parties involving my family or relatives.

I often skip going to the party in the first place, but sometimes I go. It depends on what kind of a party it is and who will be there.

primaloath
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2010, 6:15 am

As Dilbert said, but with more emphasis:

LAN PARTY!! !

Sadly, I have only gone to a handful of these. Anything else that inovlves activity, whether competitive or cooperative, is fair game.

I also don't see the point of socializing for the sake of socializing. I get the impression that I'm okay at it, but I prefer engaging in things that have a sensible goal.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:42 am

I can't enter a conversation of multiple people at all unless it's an online chatroom (I go to mental illness chats...) because I mess up when I try to enter the convo, by interrupting someone or something.

So I just indeed sit in the corner and watch everyone else. Sometimes someone will come up to me and start talking, that's fine, I'm good at one on one convos.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:16 am

I generally don't go to parties because of several things:
-I don't get invited
-Not very much to do
-Lots of noise and (especially in this town) lots of drinking