Online relationships statistically more likely to work

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:58 am

Quote:
A new study of online dating site members has found that when couples who had built up a significant relationship by e-mailing or chatting online met for the first time, 94 per cent went on to see each other again.

From here.

I know this is an old article, but it remains interesting and surprising to a lot of people. To me it makes perfect sense, considering the internet can be used to find someone who shares properties with you much more specifically than talking to random people IRL.

Also from the article:
Quote:
# 94 per cent of those surveyed saw their 'e-partner' again after first meeting them, and the relationships lasted for an average of at least seven months, with 18 per cent of them lasting over a year.

# men online were significantly more likely to be committed to the relationship than women and were more dependent on their 'e-partner'.

# the more the couple engaged in simultaneous online chat before meeting rather than simply e-mailing one another, the more they were found to depend on one another emotionally and the more they understood one another.

# those who exchanged gifts before meeting had a more committed and deeper relationship.

# the more the couple talked on the telephone before they met, the deeper the relationship.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 5:06 am

This isn't really all that surprising. In an offline first date you may not know the other person all that well, and the other person may not be sure how much they like you. Whereas if the two of you have spent a few weeks or months regularly chatting and besotted with one another's picture, that bridge has already been crossed.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 10:32 am

94%? I must be a bigger twit than I realized.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:22 am

On that note...
Hi. I'm a single male, 34, 5'8 with a fairly trim build.
I like pets, gardening, and have been told I am an excellent chef.
No kids. Four past relationships, lasting 1-3 years each, and medically clean....

Though at times I've been told I have a dirty mind....
8O

Actually this doesn't surprise me. There's no body over the internet, so that medium presents for more intellectual and investigative interactions before the actual term and actions of dating are applicable. My last date was encountered through an online game. Unfortunately, we lived quite far apart and she eventually gave in to physical needs closer to home. But we had met 6 times, had spent inordinate amounts of time together online, and were talking about marriage and relocation before she 'ran wild'.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:24 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

But you're a forum moderator! Don't you guys get all the action? :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:31 am

Asp-Z wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, good point. I'll have to post that on Eharmony as well, nothing else says 'I'm 40 and live in my parents basement' quite so eloquently.

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

I wonder how much of this has something to do with... you're more willing to settle when you do online dating vs. going offline.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

12 Sep 2010, 3:28 pm

OddFiction wrote:
On that note...
Hi. I'm a single male, 34, 5'8 with a fairly trim build.
I like pets, gardening, and have been told I am an excellent chef.
No kids. Four past relationships, lasting 1-3 years each, and medically clean....

I'm not saying it's irrelevant information, but the "medically clean" comment is making me lol. :lol:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:24 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, good point. I'll have to post that on Eharmony as well, nothing else says 'I'm 40 and live in my parents basement' quite so eloquently.
L...O...L... frell that was funny!! ! i didn't see that coming.

what does it say about me that i do kinda find forum moderators sexy? NVM don't answer that!

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:29 pm

Oooh.. Lexi has a thing for authority figures.
Time to post that picture of you in your Avengers costume.
(Or should you go with basic police officer?)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:34 pm

OddFiction wrote:
Oooh.. Lexi has a thing for authority figures.
Time to post that picture of you in your Avengers costume.
(Or should you go with basic police officer?)
heeheehee that's HOT!! ! well, i guess i like people who follow rules and enforce them lol. i like experts of all kinds too - on any subject, i like to listen... and that lends an air of authority.

(but i also like kind and gentle people, so it's not only one type)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 4:43 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
L...O...L... frell that was funny!! ! i didn't see that coming.

what does it say about me that i do kinda find forum moderators sexy? NVM don't answer that!

Lol, don't know. I'm a moderator in green-tag only anymore, lost all administrative priveleges a while ago and I'm still not sure who's shirt-cuff I'd need to pull on if I saw a post-bombing of the likes that I've cleaned up in the past again. Still not sure, after all this time, why I still have that green tag as, if anything, it likely has more effect at intimidating people from real conversation with me than having any actual value.