Do you care about what other people think about you?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:18 pm

I am always concerned about what other people think of me.

Is this normal of aspergers?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:31 pm

I think that's normal for everyone to a degree. It depends. I don't care if people look down on me because I drive an old beat up car but many people would. I do care that people see me as a good mother. It depends on what's important to you.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

If you worry about what people think of you on a regular basis, and it makes you uncomfortable around a lot of people as a result, it might be a sign of social anxiety disorder or of something of that ilk. If it's not so bad, then it's standard social anxiety which is normal for most people.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:50 pm

i am too, although it's morphing into something else. i dunno.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:50 pm

Do I care that people think I'm a nice person? Yes.

Do I care that not many people in Langley like The Kinks and that I'm looked down upon, by the younger generations, as an ageing hipster? Never in a million years.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 6:54 pm

When I was younger I cared a lot more about trivial matters. Now, thankfully, I couldn't care less.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:17 pm

I think it's typical for a majority of people to worry about what people think of them. I kind of do, but I don't think I do as much as most NTs do... nor do I obsess about what people think about me. I know an Aspie who does.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 7:54 pm

I care that I am seen as dependable and competent at my job(s) in order to increase the likelihood of promotions, good recommendations for better positions, etc.

I care that those I am closest to know that I care about them.

I care that I generally come off as polite to most people simply because that makes day-to-day living easier.

Otherwise--not really.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:15 pm

I didn't think I'd care, but as it turns out I do care when people make a lot of assumptions about my beliefs based on the few things I've said. :?

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:23 pm

conundrum wrote:
I care that I am seen as dependable and competent at my job(s) in order to increase the likelihood of promotions, good recommendations for better positions, etc.

I care that those I am closest to know that I care about them.

I care that I generally come off as polite to most people simply because that makes day-to-day living easier.

Otherwise--not really.

Me too.

As a prior poster stated "It depends on what's important to you"

Getting that middle class job is really my ultimate goal...

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:35 pm

Nope.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:42 pm

I do care what most people think about me because I want to be respected and thought of as a good human being, where ever I go... and I am.

Once in a while, I run into someone who is just miserable and so hateful they try to bring everyone around them down too. They can go XXXX themselves as far as I'm concerned. :)

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:50 pm

Yes, and I can get obsessed with it to the degree where it's all I think about.
If someone has a problem with me, has issues with me, or criticises me, I am very likely to become visibly distressed.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 9:01 pm

The people that are close to me, that I see often, now know I have AS, and things are quite good between me and my friends.

I like good relations to a point, but really care little unless the relationship becomes problematic for me, due to what they think of me(and express).

I generally pick up on what some people/creatures feel and think (great for connecting with friendly kids and animals, not so good for avoiding peers aggression)so that in itself can be a problem for me, and is the cause of much withdrawal from society.

I can scrub up nicely, and find dressing well in good clothes can do wonders for my self esteem and self image, especially if its taken some recent knocks from bullies expressing group thinking of that ugly kind.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 9:07 pm

I don't care very much at all. I have to admit it pleases me if someone thinks well of me, but it's not something I worry about.

Perhaps it's because of my age, but I don't remember ever being too concerned about it. I think what matters to me is the outcome. It would be nice if someone wanted to be friend, therefore they would have to think I had something good to offer, so I suppose I care, but in a removed kind of way.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 9:36 pm

Surfman wrote:
I can scrub up nicely, and find dressing well in good clothes can do wonders for my self esteem and self image, especially if its taken some recent knocks from bullies expressing group thinking of that ugly kind.

It does make you feel better about yourself and you are treated with more respect when you dress well.