Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 2:28 pm

Do you think there's a natural proclivity for people with Asperger's to also be gay? Would there be a logical reason why this would be (evolutionary, maybe)?

PS. please also respond to /postt139364.html (in "Social Skills and Making Friends", just noticed that this forum is more active).

Thanks.

Maialideth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2010, 2:54 pm

I do not think so. I know several people with Asperger's who are gay, but I know more who are not. (All my coworkers have asperger's, just to put in perspective that I actually know quite a lot of people with asperger's).

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 3:30 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Do you think there's a natural proclivity for people with Asperger's to also be gay?

This is a recurring topic - I think people with AS are far less likely to conform to expected gender roles, and far less likely to express societal prejudice against gay / bisexual / transgender identities. So although I would not use the word "proclivity", as if there is some innate difference in orientation, I do think people with Asperger's are more likely to be gay or bisexual, or even to regard themselves as not having an orientation.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 4:31 pm

I wonder if gender and sexuality are less "fixed" in Aspies? I have a friend who identifies as bisexual and is currently undergoing assessment for AS and I know someone with AS who was born female but identifies as male.

Btw, Maialideth, I just wonder what it's like for you to work with others with AS? I imagine it must be wonderful working with people who understand you and don't bully/avoid you for being "odd"?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

I think we're generally more tolerant/less into stereotypes. Though it may be possible that people on the spectrum may choose same-sex partners at some point due to not having to familiarize themselves with an obviously foreign body type which may help with anxiety/sensory issues :?.

Maialideth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2010, 4:39 pm

wblastyn wrote:
I wonder if gender and sexuality are less "fixed" in Aspies? I have a friend who identifies as bisexual and is currently undergoing assessment for AS and I know someone with AS who was born female but identifies as male.

Btw, Maialideth, I just wonder what it's like for you to work with others with AS? I imagine it must be wonderful working with people who understand you and don't bully/avoid you for being "odd"?

Yeah, it is great. You can check out the website here if you like. The company only hires people with AS. One of my coworkers is gay (and a lot of my coworkers, I suspect, have never had sex or a relationship before).

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 3:14 am

Maialideth wrote:
wblastyn wrote:

Yeah, it is great. You can check out the website here if you like. The company only hires people with AS. One of my coworkers is gay (and a lot of my coworkers, I suspect, have never had sex or a relationship before).

only hires people with AS? wow! where have you been all my life :)