Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2010, 1:48 pm

I'm interested in trying this because my lung capacity and my breathing is really horrible. I've read some stuff about it on the internet but I'm not sure what I should do to increase my lung capacity. What are some of the benefits of doing this and can there be any negative consequences?

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2010, 2:01 pm

Well breath control is one of the first ways to start doing this...Most singers and large wind instrument players have great lung capacity as well as those who do endurance-type exercise regiments. There is really no downside to increasing lung capacity as it helps all of your internal organs receive more air and if it is included with an exercise program you will definitely start feeling better.

I would say that the only way that increasing lung capacity would be a negative is if you were trying some kind of chemical or extreme methods for doing so. You can't force your lungs to be healthier, it takes time, practice, and conditioning (just like getting in shape any other way).

Sphynx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2010, 7:11 pm

My only concern is if you have known to have panic attacks. Some breathing exercises can possibly trigger one although this is really rare. One way musicians work on breathing exercises is by taking in air holding it and exhaling it in a certain number of counts. Another fun way is to take a piece of paper the size of an index card and put it against the wall. Take in a big deep breath (this should be done from the bottom up – you’re tummy will stick out and your shoulders do not rise) then blow the air as if it was going through a straw at the piece of paper. When you do this the paper should stay against the wall without you holding it anymore. As you get better at this move farther and farther away from the wall keeping the paper up there for as long as you can. I think it’s more fun that way and you can even make a game of it with friends. Hope that helps!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm

http://www.wwbw.com/Breath-Builder-Trai ... 33463.wwbw

The breath builder. There's a few different exercises you can do with it and it helps increase control and capacity.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2010, 1:53 pm

I don't really feel like paying for it, I was checking into this. http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Your-Lung-Capacity.
Would that be a good start and which of these should I do?

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2010, 3:36 pm

I know there's a few yoga breathing exercises that help.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 2:59 pm

Aerobic workout is what you want. Combination of either running or cycling, and front crawl swimming. Running and cycling will condition your heart and lungs. Swimming will do the same, and it also teaches you rythmic breathing. Unlike other sports, in swimming you are forced to breathe correctly.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2010, 3:37 pm

At the moment I'm not going to do any kind of workout, I'm only looking for breathing exercises.

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2010, 7:40 pm

just reading with a bit of interest as ive ALWAYS had trouble with breathing and running. i tend to hold my breath. i dont know how to runa nd breathe at the same time :oops:

but i horse ride, and dont get out of breath (except when im jumping, sometimes i hold my breath but it's nerves)

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 7:15 am

I found that cold showers are a good idea for increasing lung capacity (if you can take them) because the cold water shocks you so that you take deep breaths and hold them in for a while, after doing this for a couple of months or so, you should feel that your general lung capacity is better. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with a sensitive sense of thermal touch though. Obviously.

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2011, 9:20 pm

technicaly you cant increase lung capacity, what you got isnt going to increase, but learning to breath properly ie from the belly, as were conditioned to breath fromn the top lobes, therefore not useing full capacity, that becomes the norm then. yoga teaches this and some other things.

And increased oxygen means relaxedbody mind, well helps anyway, but also getting rid of the build up of carbon dioxide waste of burnt fuel/oxygen making the the body less toxic/acidic. .

Find an exercise/sport you like, should teach you to breath more/deeper, well you can but try. stressing the bones keeps them stronger.