You must iden. with services chat. Help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aspiegirl101
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Nov 2010, 12:45 pm

I always go in the chat room using Java, but right now it's not working. Every time I try to get in by using Java and clicking no to get in, it says that Wrongplanet cannot get in the channel and I need to identify with services. Does anyone here run into the same problem? Is there anything I need to do to get out of it? I don't know much about computers, so PLEASE respond. I'm desperate!

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2010, 4:44 pm

Hi, I am caramel on the IRC channel.

#wrongplanet is often the target of script kiddies etc who like to go around and join channels going 'lol autism ret*ds n***ers' etc. When this happens or we are otherwise being attacked by spam an effective way to stop them is to temporarily set the channel to +r. This means only registered accounts may only join the channel when +r is set, so it stops the spam but also blocks people who have not registered their nicks.

Alex does not like +r being set because of people connecting through the java client being temporarily blocked during this process, but it is a) quick, b) effective and c) the preferred method of the Freenode network operators (ie people above the #wrongplanet ops) who often assist with these things when no #wrongplanet ops are online.

I can see you are back on now, so this was just an explanation :)

We strongly suggest that you *do* register your nickname and identify to the network though via the following method:
/nick aspiegirl101 (or desired nickname)
/msg nickserv register password email

And then when you connect to the network type (better off typing in the 'status' tab in case you make a typo and tell the whole world your password):
/nick nickname
/msg nickserv identify password

This lets you claim your nickname to be yours :)

aspiegirl101
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Nov 2010, 5:03 pm

Thanks for the explanation and your help! I appreciate it. :D

dignitas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2010, 1:57 pm

I am reg on the NickServ and IDed with the freenode and wrongplanet. I actually made two names to see if this problem reoccurs and it does but I am allowed in other +r channels just fine, am I banned or something?

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 3:20 pm

ive registered and i'm still not being allowed in. It says my password is wrong.

Make it complicated why dont you? Are you so sensitive that you cant just ignore trolls? Not all aspies lap up iirc and know how to use it.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 3:24 pm

i think you'll have to type what you typed above but dumb it down for me. :lol:

dignitas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2010, 4:01 pm

dumb it down how? +r channel says the services does not know me but it does. I've tried three connections and random names and new registered ones still nothing. I try lookin in it invisible and it's not there to be looked at. so what do you think about 50K users only on 29 servers? doesnt that seem like it can be slow