Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JaneAusten2
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

My husband and I have been reading the ebook entitled "Congratulations! Your Child Is Strange", written by an Aspie young adult. (I think I heard about it here; you may already be familiar with it.)

After reading the author's description of how he thinks in pictures, not words, so communicating requires him to translate pictures into words, much like a native English speaker might think in English, then have to translate into Spanish to communicate with a Spanish speaker. I wondered if this was true of my ds, who has a hard time with expressive language. Also, I've realized that he doesn't seem to have an internal monologue; when I say something like, when you're anxious, tell yourself such and such, he looks at me like I'm from Mars. Tell myself something?

Anyway, I mentioned the different style of thinking (in pictures) to my son, and he said that's exactly how it is for him. That really helps me understand him. I'm sure this book will help me make some new discoveries about my son, and hopefully he will feel good knowing he's not the only one who thinks the way he does.

I highly recommend the book!

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 2:21 am

most of us are familiar with it, yes. mainly because it was written by Tracker who is a member here on wrong planet =) he hasnt been around much lately as he is working on an advanced degree, but i am sure you will see him every so often. he has quite a lot of insights and his book is highly recommended to new parents we see on the forums.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:39 am

Well of course! Have you ever tried talking? Its a complicated procedure. First you have the words. And then you have the sentences. And then the sentence structure changes the definition of the words. And then the context changes the meaning. And then you have to deal with the punctuation too :!:

Its all a big complicated mess.

gingerpig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2010, 3:34 pm

I love the book so far and really appreciate you putting it together and your imput on my "screaming" thread. It's really helped.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 7:03 pm

It has been extremely helpful to us, also - having insight on the way things are from the inside is a good way to gain some clarity, especially considering the staggering amount of jargon involved in an AS diagnosis.

The way I am starting to describe the language problems: communication is my son's second language.