Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

melanieeee
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2011, 1:37 pm

I've been reading a fair share of journal articles on autism and memory. The general consenus in literature suggests that people with autism have poor working memory and poor face recognition memory. Do you objectively think this is accurate?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 1:40 pm

I have problems, sometimes still, watching movies and recognizing the characters. If a dark haired guy does something and there's another darked haired character, I will totally confuse them. It's really strange and hard to explain. I've gotten a bit better at figuring it out, though. Must have something to do with facial recognition, although I do alright recognizing people I meet at a later time.

tasbro
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2011, 1:46 pm

I have always been terrible at facial recognition. I have had the same problem of watching a movie with similar looking characters and getting them confused. I have worked with people who would see me years later, and call me by name, as if we were friends, but I would not be able to place their face to a name.

Another thing I do is walk into a room and forget why I went there. Or I'll do something like get up for the sole purpose of getting something to drink, and leave the drink sitting on the counter when I leave the kitchen. Not sure if these are AS traits or simple forgetfulness.

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2011, 2:48 pm

I do have poor working memory. Walking in a room and forgetting why I went there is familiar :D

But I am not bad at face recognition at all, according to online tests. But when I meet people in a different context I might not recognize them. For instance people I know because we walk our dogs together are strangers when I see them without dogs.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2011, 3:14 pm

melanieeee wrote:
I've been reading a fair share of journal articles on autism and memory. The general consenus in literature suggests that people with autism have poor working memory and poor face recognition memory. Do you objectively think this is accurate?

I'll grant the facial recognition problem seems fairly well documented, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'working memory.'

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 3:18 pm

My memory is amazing, for the past of my life, and the past of music and media. I would say "ask me any question about classic rock, rock, metal or pop music pre-1990's" but then I wouldn't be able to prove it over this site, what with Wikipedia and all. :(

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Jan 2011, 3:24 pm

This is working memory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_memory

I have poor working memory, but it's also associated with ADHD. One example is when something comes to mind and you have to say it right away or forget it, or when interruptions cause you to lose track of everything you're doing and it takes too long to get back to work.

I compensate a lot online by having what I was doing visible on the screen, but in real life I've managed to get lost walking from my bedroom to the kitchen or vice versa. Not literally lost as in I don't know where the rooms are, but lost in the sense that something gets my attention and I completely forget what I was doing.

Oh, faces: I occasionally confuse people's faces and may see two or more people as similar in appearance when they are not really, but I seem to be able to recognize most people. I occasionally also have a problem when I see someone of not realizing who they are at all. I usually end up pretending I remember who they are while trying to get them to tell me something that'll trigger my memory. Of course, this has also happened online with no faces involved.

tasbro
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2011, 3:38 pm

[quote="Verdandi"] I occasionally also have a problem when I see someone of not realizing who they are at all. I usually end up pretending I remember who they are while trying to get them to tell me something that'll trigger my memory.quote]

This happens to me alot. I have gone through entire conversations with a person, and walked away without ever knowing who it was I was just talking to. :P

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2011, 3:52 pm

Facial recognition/facial memory is something I have never had. I mix up people with similar hair (you both have long, brown hair? no other characteristic matters, I'm going to confuse you forever!), I don't recognize actors from one movie or television show to another, and I'm never sure when people wave in the corridors whether they mean me or someone else, because I'm never sure whether or not I actually know those people.
Working memory isn't great - I'll walk from one part of the laboratory to another and have to stop and ask myself - literally, sometimes aloud - "what am I doing?" Then I have to walk through the steps of what I've just done to realize what it is I was about to do. I've always been under the impression that it was an executive function sort of thing.
Ordinary memory, though, is fantastic - I never forget numbers, facts, trivia, words, anything like that. I remember bitstrings flawlessly. So while my working and facial memories may have issues, it's more than balanced by the other aspects of memory that are so much above average.
(I think this is similar for a subset of people with Asperger's, but I could be wrong.)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 4:15 pm

melanieeee wrote:

----
Regarding poor short-term/working memory, there is a strong relationship to:
ADHD Inattentive
Central auditory processing disorder (CAPD/APD)
Some kinds of the many epilepsies (petit/absence/TLE/complex partial and so on)
Side-effects brain injuries / sports concussions.

Regarding poor face recognition memory, yes, it does seem like to me like some persons with autism display:
Prosopagnosia/facial perception/recognition/related challenges of some type.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Jan 2011, 4:22 pm

Working memory is part of executive function.

pgd wrote:
Regarding poor short-term/working memory, there is a strong relationship to:
ADHD Inattentive

I believe this is related to inattentive symptoms which 98% of everyone with ADHD have.

kalabalik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2011, 4:41 pm

Bad on recognizing faces, bad working memory. But very god memory on stuff that interest me.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 5:38 pm

melanieeee wrote:

It takes me a while to get use to someone to be comfortable with them so if I do not see them for a month or two I have to get use to them all over again. I have also have had people I know tell me I walked passed them with recognizing them even if I looked at them as they passed.

My memory is rotten as a politician. I forget where I put things minutes after I left the room then return. I constantly forget to take medications and pay bills and must be reminded constantly. I also will forget someone's name minutes after hearing it for the first time.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

Jeyradan wrote:
Facial recognition/facial memory is something I have never had. I mix up people with similar hair (you both have long, brown hair? no other characteristic matters, I'm going to confuse you forever!), I don't recognize actors from one movie or television show to another, and I'm never sure when people wave in the corridors whether they mean me or someone else, because I'm never sure whether or not I actually know those people.
Working memory isn't great - I'll walk from one part of the laboratory to another and have to stop and ask myself - literally, sometimes aloud - "what am I doing?" Then I have to walk through the steps of what I've just done to realize what it is I was about to do. I've always been under the impression that it was an executive function sort of thing.
Ordinary memory, though, is fantastic - I never forget numbers, facts, trivia, words, anything like that. I remember bitstrings flawlessly. So while my working and facial memories may have issues, it's more than balanced by the other aspects of memory that are so much above average.
(I think this is similar for a subset of people with Asperger's, but I could be wrong.)

This is me pretty much. I tend to stomp around the kitchen trying to remember why I even went downstairs, but I can recite a conversation word for word from a year ago, including describing what everyone was wearing. But I also have terrible recognition. I still get my bestfriend confused with other people.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 6:05 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I have problems, sometimes still, watching movies and recognizing the characters. If a dark haired guy does something and there's another darked haired character, I will totally confuse them. It's really strange and hard to explain. I've gotten a bit better at figuring it out, though. Must have something to do with facial recognition, although I do alright recognizing people I meet at a later time.

I do that too! When the characters in movies dont stay on the screen consistently I will mix them up if they look slightly similar,....or ill completely forget who they are at all and their significance. it makes watching movies with many chars kinda challenging

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 6:56 pm

My memory is exceptionally good for sequence of events. I can remember a lengthy conversation I had months ago almost word for word. The same goes for lists of items and historical events. However, I am terrible at remembering the names of people and places.

So, I can tell you every detail of what someone told me about him or herself, but I won't remember the name of the person who said it!

As for faces, I might be in the minority of Aspergians that way. I recognize people when I see them... but again, I may not know what their names are.

I do often have trouble recognizing people out of their usual environment. For example, if I see a coworker in the supermarket, often I will know that I know that person, but I will have no idea who it is, because they are out of the office setting.