Zeno wrote:
Will it happen?

No.

ruveyn

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

"Nazi" as in extreme right totalitarian, I'd say it's possible given time but not very likely. "Nazi" as in extreme nordicist with eugenics and swastikas all over the place, nope.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:15 am

There's nazis everywhere in the world. Nein!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:30 am

If by Nazi you mean lockstep statist, which could care less about the theoretical underpinning, we are too close for my comfort.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:41 am

Anything is possible.

I mean, we credit the German race with developing some rather high points in culture, including music, art and philosophy.

Then, they come up with fascism.

In the USA, we've gone through something of an extended "liberal" phase, with rights extended to minorities who had traditionally been disenfranchised, etc.

The Republican party has been deliberately seeking to destabilize the country, to accrue a greater portion of the nation's wealth to an ever smaller proportion of the citizens, etc.

I can't see this as leading anywhere positive.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 11:47 am

^^^

Hmm, and then we have Philadelphia, where a man can butcher newborn children, murdering at least 7*; and mutilate their mothers, murdering at least one...and not be stopped for 20 years, because the city and state governments explicitly did not want to inquire too closely lest they trample on someone's beloved "right". Liberal governments, mind you. Why worry about becoming Nazi when we're turning into the exact opposite?

*(We'll never know how many there actually were. Destroyed records are a thing of beauty.)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 11:49 am

Philologos wrote:
If by Nazi you mean lockstep statist, which could care less about the theoretical underpinning, we are too close for my comfort.

No. The Nazis made race, blood and folk the number one issues.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 12:50 pm

America is still either turning into a fascist-like country (or at least, with some elements of it), or into a no-man's-land, where everyone who supposedly has "rights" will see them trampled underfoot by the rich land owner. Irresponsible people shouldn't have "rights", especially when they deliberately CHOOSE not to be responsible when they are. =.=

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:22 pm

Will America turn Nazi? As long as Hollywood is allowed to make movies, America will not turn Nazi (serious). As long as they continue to put fluoride in the water, America will not turn Nazi (attempted humor/humor).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:24 pm

Are you using the word "Nazi" the way its used in poltical discourse in America today?

Or, are you using the word to mean what it really means?

If the latter: a totalitarian rightwing dictatorship based on the idealogy of racism, nationalism, antisemitism and world conquest- then no - thats not even on the horizon.

But today in the USA the word "nazi" is used to mean "anyone the speaker doesnt like".

If thats how you're using the word then we already are nazi in the eyes of half the population.
We have been that way for a long time. And will likely never escape from it because no matter who is in power about half the population isnt gonna like it.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:25 pm

pgd wrote:
Will America turn Nazi? As long as Hollywood is allowed to make movies, America will not turn Nazi (serious). As long as they continue to put fluoride in the water, America will not turn Nazi (attempted humor/humor).

But movies like Indiana Jones 4 and Cowboys vs. Aliens could mean that the terrorists have won.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:53 pm

How do you mean? Do you mean literal like Aryan supremacy, anti-Semite, nationalistic fascism?

I doubt it.

Nationalism does seem to be happening but I think one thing holding that back is just how diverse this country is that one can't make the same kind of generalities about a pure American race like a pure German race. It is getting pretty close to fascist but I think they also realize that it's most beneficial to not go into a more overt version of it and look more to manipulate via the economy to keep most people in check (millionaire is the new middle class in a sense of influence and sway in the government).

I don't think there'll be any overt Nazism.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:03 pm

If you just mean an analogue to Nazi pervasiveness in German life/society then perhaps it is possible.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 5:48 pm

TechnicalPacifist wrote:
"Nazi" as in extreme right totalitarian, I'd say it's possible given time but not very likely. "Nazi" as in extreme nordicist with eugenics and swastikas all over the place, nope.

I would argue Nazism and the American form of the right, generally do not mix. It tends to break down when you start on the Government controls everything routine.

I am more concerned about tyranny from the left, than from the right.