Handling Stress in the Workplace.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2011, 6:24 pm

I am currently unemployed thanks to a rule i consider unfair- I have poor emotional regulation-which means i cry way too easily for a person in my agegroup (im 20 by the way) and after one too many emotional outbursts at work, they finally decided to let me go...
Am I the only one who thinks this rule is unfair? and are there any tricks i can use to avoid potential breakdowns in the future. I am currently seeking help through VESID and will probably find myself in such a situation again real soon.

jmjelde
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2011, 7:05 pm

I try to set up time-outs when I get that way. I know that there are triggers that let things get out of control and I'll back off WAY before those triggers start to twitch. It's the only thing I've found that helps at all. Well, that and drugs. Drugs help more than anything else. And I do what I can to make sure I've had enough sleep, which seems to make the triggers a bit quicker.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 12:11 am

If you disclosed your AS and they fired you because of your breakdown which is considered a part of your AS and they did not give you time to recuperate or give accomodation, then you have grounds to possibly sue for discrimination.
I had my hours cut at work and am the only one who did not get my hours back while everyone else did........I was recently in a motor vehicle accident and on modified due to such. If I get work in a lawfirm, I will look at suing my employer for discrimination due to my injury. I was not at fault in the accident either since I was rear ended....I am basically being penalized by my employer for getting rear ended and hurt.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:59 am

Are there ways you can give yourself a time-out, I mean literally is there a way in your next job where you can just step outside (or aside) for a minute. If you can figure out what is about to trigger you--that is watch your stress level then you can probably work on this. I have had moments where in the past everything got too much (the activity, the co-workers etc.) and I found a way to control myself by stepping aside for a minute when my stress level was going through the roof.

I am not trying to be a downer, just realistic. The problem is employers see this as behavior and not as disability. If other co-workers or managers think that you are a "pain-in-the-ass" they will find ways to get rid of you. In the US (I don't know what country you are in) AS is a disability that is covered under the ADA but you would have to ask for specific accommodations and disclose your disability to your employer. A specific accommodation could be more frequent breaks. What would not be covered would be out-of control behavior.

Ultimately whatever job you have you are going to have to work on this. Good luck!

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 10:36 am

jackbus01 wrote:
In the US (I don't know what country you are in) AS is a disability that is covered under the ADA but you would have to ask for specific accommodations and disclose your disability to your employer. A specific accommodation could be more frequent breaks. What would not be covered would be out-of control behavior.

Exactly. Disclosure is key. I am on the spectrum myself and if I had an employee who did this, and I did not know why, I would part ways pretty quickly.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 10:38 am

Because i'm female I can get away with breaking down sometimes at work.
They always just shrug it off as 'womens problems.'

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 10:59 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
jackbus01 wrote:
In the US (I don't know what country you are in) AS is a disability that is covered under the ADA but you would have to ask for specific accommodations and disclose your disability to your employer. A specific accommodation could be more frequent breaks. What would not be covered would be out-of control behavior.

Exactly. Disclosure is key. I am on the spectrum myself and if I had an employee who did this, and I did not know why, I would part ways pretty quickly.

Although my personal bias is to not disclose unless you can describe a specific accommodation that you need. Just saying, hey I have AS is not helpful.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 11:00 am

jackbus01 wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
jackbus01 wrote:

Although my personal bias is to not disclose unless you can describe a specific accommodation that you need. Just saying, hey I have AS is not helpful.

Indeed

PDKB_Angels
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2011, 8:13 pm

Hi All, Im Jadeeyes's RL mom. While she had difficulty on the job, It would have been much better for her IF her employer wasnt TWOFACED :x ! !! He claimed he would help her and in return actually allowed his other employees to treat her like garbage. I have seen it with my own eyes as he just stood there while my daughters co workers treated her badly. When I approached him about it, all he could say was, they're just kids! Well he allows those "kids' to treat his customers like garbage too :wall: . The latest thing is, she found out thru the grapevine that her place of employment is closing (she was actually put on medical leave and told to come back when she felt better) and they didnt even see fit to inform her that she no longer had a job. Is that messed up or what???! !!

sorry if thats a tad bit confusing, I tend to ramble on...

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 9:01 pm

PDKB_Angels wrote:
Hi All, Im Jadeeyes's RL mom. While she had difficulty on the job, It would have been much better for her IF her employer wasnt TWOFACED :x ! !! He claimed he would help her and in return actually allowed his other employees to treat her like garbage. I have seen it with my own eyes as he just stood there while my daughters co workers treated her badly. When I approached him about it, all he could say was, they're just kids! Well he allows those "kids' to treat his customers like garbage too :wall: . The latest thing is, she found out thru the grapevine that her place of employment is closing (she was actually put on medical leave and told to come back when she felt better) and they didnt even see fit to inform her that she no longer had a job. Is that messed up or what???! !!

sorry if thats a tad bit confusing, I tend to ramble on...

It sounds like she is not the problem then. It sounds like this workplace is beyond hope, yes that is very messed up. I hope her next job is a lot better. When I wrote that reply I didn't realize that was what was happening, sadly it reminds me of my very first job at a fast-food place. Sometimes you just can't win.

Best of luck to you jadeeyes!

bookworm285
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2011, 9:04 pm

I tend to cry easily when I'm not on anti-depressants. I realize this isn't a cure-all, but just a suggestion.

I hope she has a better work environment next time.