Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

agent000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2011, 8:05 pm

Hey, I figured I might as well be polite and introduce myself, but I'm shaking in my boots... if I were wearing boots. My name is Melissa, I'm 26, I'm not officially diagnosed, but my girlfriend recently started saying that she thought I was autistic. The idea really scares me, but everything I pick up to research it seems to confirm this idea. I've known something was different about me most of my life and have been trying to figure out what it was, and I wasn't scared of being labeled until I ran into this one. Autism/Asperger's really scares me for some reason, and I'm not really sure why.

Needless to say, I'm scared to be here too, but I figured it was about time that I stopped relying on my girlfriend to explain what I'm going through and talk with some people who actually know what it feels like, just in case her theory is right.

Sorry to be a timid little mouse, and I hope I'm not bothering anybody with it since I'm normally not like this, but I hope this site can help me a bit.

Thank you,

Melissa

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2011, 8:26 pm

Welcome Melisa, no reason to be afraid, nobody here but kindred spirits. Almost everybody here has felt "different" for most of their lives.

agent000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2011, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the response and the welcome. I wish I could just snap my fingers and stop being afraid, though I don't know exactly what it is I'm so afraid of. I know I'll warm up before too long since I always do, but it's a new experience to me to enter a new forum and be terrified. I'm usually just fine in forums, even if not in person. I guess I don't know what to expect.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 8:55 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Skepkat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2011, 9:24 pm

Welcome. I've found a lot of useful information and support here.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

Hi there! Welcome to WP Melissa. This is a good place to learn about AS etc. There are a lot of really great friendly people here, so don't be shy about posting.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 9:39 pm

Welcome. No need to be scared.

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2011, 9:41 pm

Remember, we're all bozos on this bus.

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm

Hi Melissa and Welcome to Wrong Planet :)

You can relax now :) No need to be scared. We can relate in some form to what you are going through.

Take a couple of deep breaths and when you feel up to it, post on the forums and even start new topics. We are happy to help you here and answer any questions you may have :)

XLCR wrote:
Remember, we're all bozos on this bus.

That is the truth. You may have to ride the bus, but you can at least enjoy the company on the bus :)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 1:07 pm

Welcome!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2011, 7:17 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Hauge
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2011, 6:11 am

Hi and WELCOME!

Think i can relate on the insecurity you feel! - Is it true what Your girlfriend is saying? Does You really have a "condition"? ect...

Have you taken some of the tests avaible online? If not I'd recommend you to google aspie-quiz and also look at these: http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen.aspx
They'll not give You a diagnosis, but a indicattion if...

So. If You're at the spectrum, What then?
Theres noting like a free lunch. But when thats said, I really feel that getting the tools to understand Yourself, can give You a unique chance to, relook how You relate to others.
And to focus on the things You are good at. And via Your knowledge of why You are as You are. To learn to cope with Your, life and surroundings. Not to forget how to protect yourself.
WP's also a goldmine of information, from some wery dedicated persons, of great knowledge, who are more than eager to give You all the support You need!

Remember. You're among friends here! - Who have most likely been thru the same speculations as You have now...

I hope You get the answers You search for. And confidence in Your personality!! !

Best regards!

FarqyTheIndolent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 9:48 am

Welcome. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 1:21 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

agent000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 11:49 am

Thanks for all the welcomes you've all given me. My insecurity goes up and down depending on the day. Today's one of my better days, thank goodness. Yesterday was NOT a good day. :P

And Hauge, I went and took all those quizzes on the site you provided the link to. I'm a little better at empathy than the average person on the Autistic Spectrum, but everything else landed me flat in it. Heh, most of the quizzes I've taken have placed me either in the spectrum or close to it, so there's a pretty good chance my girlfriend is right. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it before I go and try for a diagnosis.

Anyway, thanks again for all the welcoming and support. It makes me feel a little better about dealing with all of this. Thank you.

Melissa