Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

re18
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2011, 4:14 am

I walk super fast and people always ask me why I am in such a hurry. I think it has to do with my social anxiety.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:22 am

hiya Re18 :)
welcome to this thing of ours 8)
when i was young i also was a very fast walker, and was often told to slow down by people i was walking with. only age slowed me down.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:36 am

I've never heard of it being a characteristic of AS, but both I and my dad have always been abnormally fast walkers. Just Sunday I was walking with several people in my family and was going much faster than them. :lol: People often comment on how quickly I walk.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 5:18 am

I walk very fast all the time. I often get told to slow down because other people can't keep up. Even when I go for a walk I usually walk faster than others. I just never thought it could be related to AS but now that you suggested that social anxiety could be influencing this I think it's quite possible.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2011, 6:00 am

I walk fast too.
But my brother, that is normal walks faster than me.
Don't know if it is related to AS, but many times, my way of stimming consist exactly in walking (usually around the table in my bedroom)

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:03 am

I don't know whether all, but I am. Totally. Slow/normal walking is just boring. :lol:

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:53 am

Yes, same with me. Most of the time when I am walking, I am either distracted because of something that is heavily on my mind, and I don't pay attention on my pace (and therefore, walk very fast), or I feel uncomfortable because there's too much going on around me (too many people, loud noises, ect.), that I subconciously start walking even faster to reach my destination in a more timely fashion.

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2011, 7:32 am

My pace always has been very fast, I still can hear my mother calling out constantly: " Don't run like a "deer" all the time! "

Walking into things is a big issue with me, I am constantly covered in bruises. I favour table corners :roll: .
Funnily enough my spatial awareness is not that bad when I am "aware" that is, :lol:. Give me something to ponder about and it decreases immensely.

Also, when I found my rather fast pace and trot along and somebody asks me eventually to slow down, because it is hard to keep up, I get this tingly uncomfortable feeling all over, but mostly in my arms and hands. It vanishes once I speed up again ( which happens all the time ). Anybody out there, who experiences the same phenomenon?

Actually, I just considered, when i set out consciously on a "stroll", I do not feel the need to walk fast.
It's like I need to program myself ahead of the walk which purpose it is going to serve, either getting from A to B, or to take in the scenery.

OT, but same goes for food: most of the time food for me means fuel, I have to tell myself to enjoy and savour a meal, although even as a fuel consumer i do take in the aroma, taste, texture and so forth - just a lot quicker, :D.
Still OT, :lol: , whilst cooking I am much more likely to think about the nutritional value of the ingredient, its provenance etc. than the taste contribution it will make to the dish - detail thinking again, suppose.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 8:56 am

If I'm on my own, I don't walk too fast, but I still walk fairly fast. If I'm with others, I try to keep to their speed.

I used to walk very fast. I guess this was my feet desiring to go at the same speed as my mind ;)

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:05 am

Fast walking might just be more of an anxiety thing than something specific to AS. For me it really depends on my mood and where I am. If I'm walking my dog on a nice afternoon in the woods, then I can meander and take as long as I want. If I'm at school or anywhere else in the city, I do tend to walk fast. I go to a big public university in the west loop, so of course it's noisy and crowded, then you ad that to the fact that I have a rigid schedule to maintain.

Zayle79
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2011, 12:01 pm

Me, too. I sometimes feel like other people don't understand that if they walk slowly, they get there later.

LadyGray
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2011, 8:20 am

I also walk quickly.
I prefer to run, actually, but I get tired quickly.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 8:33 am

i also walk rapidly. when i am wearing hard soled shoes, it is soothing for me to hear the clack of each of my shoes hitting the floor every 1/2 second or so.

sometimes i want to run but i can not be bothered so i walk in a very fast way by angling my body forward and walking rapidly in that direction to stop myself falling over forward.

if i want to go any more than 300 steps away from my abode, i will drive. i dislike going out and i try to make the experience as brief as possible.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 9:08 am

i'm also a fast walker; if i walk in a group i have to remember to old back, although i cannot run farther then a 100 meter dash...

the actual speed i walk at depends on the music i got on at the moment, as i have the tendency to move my legs in the exact rythm of the music i hear (which, coupled with long legs, makes for high speed).

spac
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2011, 9:29 am

I usually walk slow. My mother often comments about how slow I walk. Sometimes when I'm walking by myself somewhere, I think I usually walk fast. I wonder what that means.

LeHunte
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2011, 10:55 am

I aways walk fast to and from school and end up overtaking people, just today I was geting anoyed waiting behind people who were walking in a group eventhough they were walking normally.