Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 May 2011, 9:20 am

What if it turns out that I find out that I'm not really autistic and I'm really just one of those NTs with an abrasive personality and ret*d social, language and/or thinking skills and abilities? WHAT WILL BECOME OF ME??? Will you guys drag my body to the fire, and then tear me limb by limb, and then throw my limbs into the fire as an offering to the Autism gods? Would I not be welcome here any more?

I'm just thinking about what's going to happen if I find out I'm not autistic from my autism assessment, and I think finding out I'm really NT might be worse than finding out I'm autistic, as there seems to be something that's not quite there when it comes to relating to "normal people" and the only other possible explanation could be... mental illness. 8O Maybe my teenage coworkers who thought I had mental problems were right all along and it really just wasn't a case of cognitively disadvantaged 17-year old females (Read: normal teenagers) interacting with an alleged gifted adult?

DAMN THEM! I hate it when others are right and I'm wrong.

Last edited by swbluto on 26 May 2011, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:26 am

Um, relax! There are tons of NTs on here. For all I know, I really am an NT or I just have ADD, but given the specific problems I have AS seems more likely. For reasons I won't get into here, I'm not looking for a "real" diagnosis, and at this point in my life it wouldn't really make a difference anyway.

So stop worrying already!

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:37 am

Who the hell cares? Those of us with AS certainly don't. You are so far removed from me (personally) wrt your symptoms that you might as well be NT anyway.

Remember it is a spectrum and being DX'd means nothing one way or the other. You will still be who you are and if you are right against the spectrum but cannot get a DX it still means you are right against the spectrum.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:43 am

Quote:
What if it turns out I'm NT?

then it "turns out" that you are not AS.
it is a simple thing to conclude.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:45 am

swbluto wrote:
What if it turns out that I find out that I'm not really autistic and I'm really just one of those NTs with an abrasive personality and ret*d social, language and/or thinking skills and abilities? WHAT WILL BECOME OF ME??? Will you guys drag my body to the fire, and then tear me limb by limb, and then throw my limbs into the fire as an offering to the Autism gods? Would I not be welcome here any more?

I'm just thinking about what's going to happen if I find out I'm not autistic from my autism assessment, and I think finding out I'm really NT might be worse than finding out I'm autistic, as there seems to be something that's not quite there when it comes to relating to "normal people" and the only other possible explanation could be... mental illness. 8O Maybe my coworkers who thought I had mental problems were right all along?

DAMN THEM! I hate it when others are right and I'm wrong.

Quote:
Would I not be welcome here any more?

Naaa.

It's been a disillusioning few years here for myself, as there were many moments to where I seemed to fit the criteria (and anecdotaly) and other instances to where it didn't seem to fit exactly at all. Halfway there. Someone( family) even once commented that I fit the autism criteria.

I think the main thing is to find the devil, and then you can have something to work out of then. This particular aspect of the medical field is too subjective without imaging techniques, and the usual for me was anti- depressants. I'm attention deficit.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2011, 9:48 am

You are welcome anyway at least IMO; I think anyone who has troubles fitting in and is more comfortable here must be accepted, instead of looking for who is "a Real Aspie" which is kind of snob. Then even if you are not diagnosable you have very likely autistic traits (BAP) anyway, so you can relate to others as far as those are concerned.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 May 2011, 9:50 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:

What if it turns out President Obama was born in Indonesia?

Then he wasn't born in Hawaii.

And then he's deposed as president and then Joe Biden succeeds him as president. Then after a series of disastrous political decisions combined with the turmoil of the economy, government finances dry up causing a significant reduction in public services, and then crime rises, and then volunteer police groups start up in response, and then it devolves into a series of gang warfare with a further declining economy and civil war ensues.

But, yes, it's true... him not being born in Hawaii would be a simple thing to conclude.

Last edited by swbluto on 26 May 2011, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:54 am

swbluto wrote:
Will you guys drag my body to the fire, and then tear me limb by limb, and then throw my limbs into the fire as an offering to the Autism gods?

Naaa. Slow roasting results in a much more tender product

Quote:
Would I not be welcome here any more?

Heck no. We wouldn't boot you. You could translate NT speak for us.

Or maybe just hang out and be friends.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:02 am

Damn it! Was this "friendly teasing" all along that I missed?

(Banging head here)

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:09 am

kfisherx wrote:
Damn it! Was this "friendly teasing" all along that I missed?

(Banging head here)

What...?

*gives bandaid for your head injury*

No, the main meaning of the original post was serious (Not gravely so), but it did have some dramatic theatrics and embellishments added here and there for effect. So no 'friendly teasing' was intended, just some friendly exaggeration (Unless that itself is considered teasing). :wink:

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2011, 10:14 am

The question whether you're autistic or not, isn't really that much of a black and white question in my opinion.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:21 am

Zexion wrote:
The question whether you're autistic or not, isn't really that much of a black and white question in my opinion.

But the dichotomous nature of the person's thinking that can be inferred from that question indicates the person probably has autism, right??? (Hey now, we can't have any of this partially-autistic mantra. That's far too realistic and inconvenient for diagnostic purposes. :P)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:40 am

swbluto wrote:

swbluto wrote:

i am sorry? i did not realize i was in a discussion about american politics. why do you ask me that question?

swbluto wrote:
who cares where he was born? i could not care less. but i am in the southern hemisphere, and i feel rather distant from the wranglings going on north of the equator.

swbluto wrote:
And then he's deposed as president and then Joe Biden succeeds him as president. Then after a series of disastrous political decisions combined with the turmoil of the economy, government finances dry us causing a significant reduction in public services, and then crime rises, and then volunteer police groups start up in response, and then it devolves into a series of gang warfare with a further declining economy and civil war ensues.

i think your reply is the product of unstable and accelerated thinking. you asked what would happen if you were N.T, and i made an innocuous comment, and you went what i would call "psychologically beserk".
what a flurry of nonsense did you write that was sprung from my innocuous post?

swbluto wrote:
But, yes, it's true... him not being born in Hawaii would be a simple thing to conclude.

i can not fathom how that relates to what i was originally responding to. how did the discussion get to american politics?

fanatical zealots with blaring eyes are often avoided by serene people.

Last edited by b9 on 26 May 2011, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:42 am

b9 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

swbluto wrote:

i am sorry? i did not realize i was in a discussion about american politics. why do you ask me that question?

swbluto wrote:
who cares where he was born? i could not care less. but i am in the southern hemisphere, and i feel rather distant from the wranglings going on north of the equator.

swbluto wrote:
And then he's deposed as president and then Joe Biden succeeds him as president. Then after a series of disastrous political decisions combined with the turmoil of the economy, government finances dry us causing a significant reduction in public services, and then crime rises, and then volunteer police groups start up in response, and then it devolves into a series of gang warfare with a further declining economy and civil war ensues.

i think your reply is the product of unstable and accelerated thinking. you asked what would happen if you were N.T, and i made an innocuous comment, and you went what i would call "psychologically beserk".

swbluto wrote:

i can not fathom how that relates to what i was originally responding to. how did the discussion get to american politics?

Clearly you have a diminished capacity for recognizing facetiousness.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:43 am

b9 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

swbluto wrote:

swbluto wrote:

swbluto wrote:

swbluto wrote:

I was mocking your post by analogy. [And then went on to demonstrate that "simple conclusions" don't always have "simple repercussions"/"simple effects".]

SERIOUS QUESTION:
Is it a common thing for aspies and auties to be unaware of when others are mocking them? Is it uncommon for aspies and auties to mock others?

If so, man, maybe I am NT. >.>

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:52 am

swbluto wrote:
Is it a common thing for aspies and auties to be unaware of when others are mocking them?

Yes.

Quote:
Is it uncommon for aspies and auties to mock others?

No

Quote:
If so, man, maybe I am NT. >.>

Does not apply.

When I was young, I had almost zero grasp of sarcasm and facetiousness. Now, through many years of honing that particular skill, I am fluent at it and I regularly post things here in full sarcasm mode only to see it misconstrued. So, here at WP least, I always assume that my sarcasm will possibly be misunderstood and take it in stride when it happens.