Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Age:25
Posts: 320
Location: I'm in ur kitchenz, eatin ur foodz

02 Jul 2011, 2:59 am

Why couldn't someone with cooler name have discovered AS? Or maybe change the name altogether. Autism is discovered by a guy name Kanner, yet its not very often reffered as Kanner's syndrome. Kanner sounds better than Aspergers. I am really sick of the whole "Ass burgers" joke. I think the new DSM is changing Aspergers to Autism Spectrum Disorder and have it rate it on 1-10 on a scale in terms of severity. That sounds nice. Most people know what autism is. Few know what Aspergers is. Plus, the name is sucky.Sorry for the rant. Now I feel better.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Age:47
Posts: 3,192

02 Jul 2011, 3:02 am

MyWorld wrote:
Why couldn't someone with cooler name have discovered AS? Or maybe change the name altogether. Autism is discovered by a guy name Kanner, yet its not very often reffered as Kanner's syndrome. Kanner sounds better than Aspergers. I am really sick of the whole "Ass burgers" joke. I think the new DSM is changing Aspergers to Autism Spectrum Disorder and have it rate it on 1-10 on a scale in terms of severity. That sounds nice. Most people know what autism is. Few know what Aspergers is. Plus, the name is sucky.Sorry for the rant. Now I feel better.


I'd like to tell people we belong to a nuerodiverse community. I'm happy to call myself autistic.



Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2010
Age:45
Posts: 12,564
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Jul 2011, 3:14 am

Under most circumstances I just say I'm autistic or that I'm on the autistic spectrum.

It doesn't usually cause confusion, although sometimes I have to clarify that my diagnosis is Asperger's Syndrome, although that doesn't really happen often.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Age:47
Posts: 3,192

02 Jul 2011, 4:40 am

Verdandi wrote:
Under most circumstances I just say I'm autistic or that I'm on the autistic spectrum.

It doesn't usually cause confusion, although sometimes I have to clarify that my diagnosis is Asperger's Syndrome, although that doesn't really happen often.


How about Auties? Kinda like that.



Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2011
Age:32
Posts: 348

02 Jul 2011, 5:33 am

Lolz factor.
Whiners Syndrome.
Poor Me Syndrome
Another Schizoid.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Age:20
Posts: 4,201
Location: Reading, England

02 Jul 2011, 6:05 am

I wonder how long it will be before somebody suggests some witty names.



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2006
Age:32
Posts: 11,344
Location: Central USA

02 Jul 2011, 6:28 am

Just call it "autism". That's what it is.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2011
Age:32
Posts: 348

02 Jul 2011, 6:58 am

Hands Ass Burger
Me Speeshul!
Special unique snow flake.

Susan Boyle waited almost 50 years to be discovered.

Susan Boyle with her 'good looks' appears to have Aspergers Syndrome and she has a special talent in singing.



Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 on 02 Jul 2011, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Age:28
Posts: 1,347
Location: Kalahari Desert

02 Jul 2011, 7:40 am

I just tell people that I am autistic. I didn't speak until I was four and had an epic dely in self help skills so I probably fit the cirteria for HFA as opposed to AS anyway. When I was a kid, growing up in the 90's before everyone was so obsessed with autism and it's elusive cure, HFA and AS were basicaly considered the same thing. I grew up believing I had AS.


_________________
"So for all of you with the courage to stand up and say "I am me, screw you, World if you don't like it!" Here's to you!
-Erik Sprague


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Aug 2010
Age:52
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

02 Jul 2011, 8:29 am

Alien human mongrel



Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2011
Age:32
Posts: 348

02 Jul 2011, 8:44 am

Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Excessively Self Conscious
Extreme Anxiety
Anxious
Childlike
Peter Pan Syndrome
Socially Awkward
Extreme Shyness



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Aug 2010
Age:52
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

02 Jul 2011, 4:38 pm

I'm not a narcissist, I often put others first, especially those close to me

I just dont guess their needs, rather than ignore them..........



Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2010
Age:45
Posts: 12,564
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Under most circumstances I just say I'm autistic or that I'm on the autistic spectrum.

It doesn't usually cause confusion, although sometimes I have to clarify that my diagnosis is Asperger's Syndrome, although that doesn't really happen often.


How about Auties? Kinda like that.


I don't favor it, but I don't mind it.



bergie
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age:34
Posts: 290
Location: Phoenix, AZ

02 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

McLovin...