Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:11 am

My Mom, when teaching WGST, used a similar site (ISNT) to introduce the concept of autistic rights to her students. One of them apparently stopped halfway through to loudly exclaim 'oh my god I think I have this condition!'

Artfuljin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

:D this made my day

I was cracking the hell up on when they said this

Once a person with NT has made up his or her mind, a process typically involving very little ratiocination, cogitation, or deliberation, he or she likely refuses to acknowledge even the slightest possibility of being mistaken, no matter how much solid, logical evidence is presented. In contrast, they are for some reason quickly and easily convinced when exposed to emotional manipulation, the standard method of argumentation between NTs.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

Giving credit where credit is due. Droopy was the one who came up with Neurotypical Disorder criteria. It was hosted on Isnt.autistics.org for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3bLQjapxI

Melinda7879
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

This part really got me :lol:

"They have an abnormal sensory sensitivity to tone of voice, leading to attention deficits that render them unable to comprehend the literal meaning of words. Neurotypicals are frequently unable to understand that a person asking a question is not communicating anything other than the desire to get the answer to the question. They frequently attempt to answer questions before the speaker has even finished asking the question due to a delusional belief that they can read other people’s minds. As a result, answers to questions posed to neurotypicals are frequently non sequitur. Neurotypicals ask questions that they don’t want answered, and frequently say "I know" when told something that they could not possibly know. It is believed that neurotypical syndrom is a Tourette spectrum disorder, and neurotypical syndrome is sometimes referred to as high-functioning Tourette’s."

Spam-I-Am
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2012, 11:00 am

oceandrop wrote:
There's a lot of truth in this. Before I was diagnosed I was 100% convinced that there was something wrong with everybody else. Why did they enjoy going out at night and dancing around in dark clubs getting drunk, then spending the rest of the week talking about it before repeating it again at the weekend.

I think I understand why many people are obsessed with drinking and/or getting drunk. It is all part of this dreaded disease called Neurotypical Syndrome as mentioned in the DSM IV. The main difference between Neurotypicals and Aspies is that Neurotypicals are obsessed with the Social Pecking Order. Neurotypicals believe that if they are popular, everyone will like them and that they can have anything or do anything they want. Aspies on the other hand don't care about the pecking order and are also largely unaware that one even exists in the minds of others. Just stick an Aspie with his hobby or his obsession, and he will be happy.

Those who get drunk and/or smashed do so because it gives them a false feeling of omnipotence. It lowers their inhibitions and also causes them to forget about their problems for a short period of time. They feel like if they can dominate or control any social situation, they will be a god or master of their own universe. I have never really understood the point of this though because waking up in the morning hugging the toilet isn't my idea of fun. Also most people won't remember what happened during a drunken party anyway, nor will they remember the people they met that night. To give an example of this drunken pointlessness, Isaac Newton while he was studying at Cambridge, never saw the point in going to drunken parties like his peers were. It was during this time that Newton made his discoveries in Physics, including the Three Laws of Motion. But to this day, who do we remember, Isaac Newton or his drunken peers?

"You are never completely worthless; you can always go down as a really bad example."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

Spam-I-Am wrote:
oceandrop wrote:
There's a lot of truth in this. Before I was diagnosed I was 100% convinced that there was something wrong with everybody else. Why did they enjoy going out at night and dancing around in dark clubs getting drunk, then spending the rest of the week talking about it before repeating it again at the weekend.

I think I understand why many people are obsessed with drinking and/or getting drunk. It is all part of this dreaded disease called Neurotypical Syndrome as mentioned in the DSM IV. The main difference between Neurotypicals and Aspies is that Neurotypicals are obsessed with the Social Pecking Order. Neurotypicals believe that if they are popular, everyone will like them and that they can have anything or do anything they want. Aspies on the other hand don't care about the pecking order and are also largely unaware that one even exists in the minds of others. Just stick an Aspie with his hobby or his obsession, and he will be happy.

Those who get drunk and/or smashed do so because it gives them a false feeling of omnipotence. It lowers their inhibitions and also causes them to forget about their problems for a short period of time. They feel like if they can dominate or control any social situation, they will be a god or master of their own universe. I have never really understood the point of this though because waking up in the morning hugging the toilet isn't my idea of fun. Also most people won't remember what happened during a drunken party anyway, nor will they remember the people they met that night. To give an example of this drunken pointlessness, Isaac Newton while he was studying at Cambridge, never saw the point in going to drunken parties like his peers were. It was during this time that Newton made his discoveries in Physics, including the Three Laws of Motion. But to this day, who do we remember, Isaac Newton or his drunken peers?

"You are never completely worthless; you can always go down as a really bad example."

Does this apply to all drinkers? if so I have to disagree.....I drink because I like how it feels, it can shut my brain up for a while, and it makes me a bit more comfortable in social situations, but honestly it makes me a bit more comfortable in general social situation or not. But I'm more of a laid back drinker, I would not want to go to a party with a bunch of preppy college kids for instance I have before, and spent most of the time going outside to smoke cigarettes and drinking too fast because I was uncomfortable and wanted to hurry up and get drunk....so yeah no big parties for me, but there are better places to drink anyways like concerts, with a few people, or maybe even just alone listening to music. And I guess I would make an exception if it's a large party in the middle of the forest with no cops about and everyones free to run about and scream all they want, if get sick of it theres a whole forest so I could go somewhere quiet and enjoy my beer when I am done running about and screaming like a forest troll that is. I myself am not neurotypical, but for some reason I get the feeling there might be neurotypicals that prefer my style of drinking after all there are introverted neurotypicals. So yeah what you say is true of some people, but just like neurotypicals make a lot of inaccurate generalizations about us, inaccurate generalizations can be made about them as well...and well inaccurate assumptions can also be made about people who drink based on those described in your post.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

:lmao:

Brilliant! Especially the Karl Rove bit, I think that was my favourite.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

Spam-I-Am wrote:
oceandrop wrote:

Umm, stupid question: when people say pecking order, what exactly is meant by that...ie what is the neurotypical pecking order?

I spend most of my time fiddling around with my hobbies on my own and have lived an isolated life, thus I have no idea what the hell is going on half the time out there in the social world.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

I will add I went through the drinking thing because I thought that is what I had to do to try and fit in as a teen and in my early 20's. It did not work out well as I usually ended up getting thumped in the face by some drunken bird who was screaming at me because I was chatting to her boyfriend!

1 I did not realise it was her boyfriend

2 I was not making a pass at him...I was merely conducting an experiment. As I cannot tell when men find me attractive I thought I would wonder around the pub and ask random males if they found me attractive whilst looking at their body language to see what it was doing at the time (I did ask my mother (who was a social butterfly) when I was 16 how one knows if a man finds them attractive and her reply of "well you just sense it" was not of much help to be honest. As there was no point in asking my father because he was completely socially oblivious and incapable of reading this stuff himself, research was needed at the time!)

3 There was no need to scream at me or hit me, she could have just said 'excuse me but can you not ask my boyfriend that question please' and I would have apologised and left.

People are so irrational....why the need to stand there screaming and yelling at someone? If there is problem why not just calmly say?

I stopped bothering with the drinking shortly after that, and have not consumed alcohol in 12 years now.

PN at 36 I still cannot tell if men find me attractive or if they are flirting with me. I gave up trying to figure it out and usually wait for them to either say something directly or wait for someone who is with me at the time to say "they are flirting with you".

I do not like being hit in the face....really there was absolutely no need for it!

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 1:11 pm

I enjoyed reading it. If only NTs would read it and seriously consider what it is saying. Someone should send it around the workplace email.

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

I've always preferred Uncyclopedia for its tendency to stick closer to truth compared to Encyclopedia Dramatica. Kind of reminds me of The Onion versus Weekly World News. Funny and interesting article overall, and I loved the image of Phineas Gage's remodeled brain scan as an example, in addition to famous NTs throughout history. Really cracked me up :D

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm

sometimes I think a person being neruotypical is a disorder because a lot of times my older NT sister asks me for advice and I feel like the shrink listening to her problems while she lays on the couch with a glass of wine as I listen to her talk about her problems. gah time for me to take nots on the the problems on my clip board. lol

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

opal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 4:54 am

It's all so true.

raylit20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

Though this was quite funny. Had to stop reading for a second to correct an error though. :lol:

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2012, 7:54 am

Yep. That article really made my day. :D

Quote:
(regarding alchol)... It lowers their inhibitions and also causes them to forget about their problems for a short period of time.

Damn, I must be an NT then.