God I love this article about religious hypocrisy

Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 4:45 am

Short, sweet, and to the point. And heck, I'm even an Agnostic, and these are my sentiments. Someone can make it clickable if they want.

http://www.evilbible.com/christians_are_hypocrites.htm

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 4:57 am

don't bother reading the first paragraph, i'll surmise it for you "christians are hypocrites" there I saved you lots of reading.
second paragraph: if you're divorced or married to somebody who is divorced you're a hypocrite.
third paragraph: you can't pray out loud or with a hat on
fourth paragraph.... more rantings that show he doesn't know what he's talking about, mixing christian and jewish laws etc.

Last edited by Knifey on 30 Aug 2011, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:03 am

I think it has a lot of great points. I've felt this way, but I like how this author articulated it. ESPECIALLY parts about selective believing, and ferociously ignoring the inconvenient or even barbaric parts of scripture.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 5:10 am

but it says "this is christians" and then goes and quotes stuff from leviticus which is supposed to only apply to levites lol. it's just the most stupid nonsensical rant i have ever seen. she put about as much thought into that article as willy wonka put into his dogs balls falvoured lolly pop.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:24 am

This is the first I've heard of that. I've heard it quoted in Sunday mass, and I've heard Christians quote it when talking about not getting tattoos.

In fact, what you just said was probably garbage.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:50 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I think it has a lot of great points.

You're wrong.

It says this:
Quote:
All of these rules are part of the Old Covenant and of equal import.

If you can say this with a straight face, you don't understand Christianity. I looked at bits and pieces of the rant, but after I saw that, I just stopped. There's no point taking something that far off seriously.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 7:04 am

Ancalagon wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I think it has a lot of great points.

You're wrong.

You're in denial.

And the parts about how religious people are selective in what they want to follow is valid. If you can't see that, I can understand why you can't appreciate this work.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 7:19 am

yes i'm sure there are hypocritical people who call themselves christian. lots of them. but there are also lots who aren't, so what does the article prove? That just because you call yourself a christian doesn't make you less of a hypocrite? correct.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 8:06 am

@CaptainTrips222: The article asserts that Christians are still under the Old Covenant, when it has quite clearly been superseded. Superseding the Old Covenant was most of the point of the New Covenant, not some obscure issue. It's like saying that because we had an amendment to the U.S. constitution prohibiting alcohol, alcohol is still illegal, completely ignoring the other amendment that revoked the first. The article not understanding this means that they are unlikely to be able to make any other decent points.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
This is the first I've heard of that. I've heard it quoted in Sunday mass, and I've heard Christians quote it when talking about not getting tattoos.

In fact, what you just said was probably garbage.

oh christians pull all sorts out of the old testament that they not longer have to live by if it supports their own personal sense of right and wrong. :roll: i'm not sure what the name for that is, but it's not hypocrite. Maybe doofis? christians are still people don't forget. most people go around thinking they know more than they do and convincing everybody of the fact.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 8:50 am

The divorce issue has nothing to do with the old testament. It's spelled out in the NT as the blog notes. The Catholics appear to be right on this one, yet southern christian states have the highest divorce rates.

The prayer in school one is also based on the words of Jesus. The longer list includes some OT but also NT passages from the apostles and Corinthians. Funny, if old, stuff.

Of course most christian mumblers will just say something like, "we are all sinners". You can't really shame them with hypocricy when they will just claim that Jesus redeems them anyway. It's magical thinking from top to bottom.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 8:51 am

Christianity means whatever any individual "Christian" wants it to mean at the moment. This is called "Situational Doctrine". It means that if the "Christian" can find a Bible verse that speaks against something that he or she doesn't like, then he or she will swear that it is foundational doctrine.

But if the same Bible verse is quoted against the "Christian", then he or she will find some excuse (possibly another Bible verse) that mitigates the application of the first verse against him or her.

Or they just say something like "That's different", and with a smirk and a smile, they go on their merry way.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

simon_says wrote:
Of course most christian mumblers will just say something like, "we are all sinners".

Putting words in your opponent's mouth is not an effective argument.

If you think any of the arguments in the article are any good, by all means quote them or restate them. But after a massive blunder like they made, I'm not going to bother with the article itself.

Fnord wrote:
But if the same Bible verse is quoted against the "Christian", then he or she will find some excuse (possibly another Bible verse) that mitigates the application of the first verse against him or her.

You're making the fundamental mistake of ignoring context, and assuming that quoting a single sentence by itself is a good way to understand things.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

Ancalagon wrote:
@CaptainTrips222: The article asserts that Christians are still under the Old Covenant, when it has quite clearly been superseded. Superseding the Old Covenant was most of the point of the New Covenant, not some obscure issue. It's like saying that because we had an amendment to the U.S. constitution prohibiting alcohol, alcohol is still illegal, completely ignoring the other amendment that revoked the first. The article not understanding this means that they are unlikely to be able to make any other decent points.

Don't believe in the old testament anymore? Great! Drop this garden of eden bull s**t and start living in reality.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

A lot of what people did in the Old Testament they did because they lived in a world where the neighboring nations all wanted to kill them.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
A lot of what people did in the Old Testament they did because they lived in a world where the neighboring nations all wanted to kill them.

I'm not blaming them at all. There's certainly a historical context. But is it divinely inspired? And if so, why aren't Christians following it?