Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

If anyone is succeptable to emotional manipulation, they should probably stay isolated. No?

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

I say no.

I try to steer clear of drama queens and very reactive people, and *usually* I can tel when I'm being manipulated.

In the past, this wasn't always true.

If you can tell, I think it's fine to acknowledge it with the person who's manipulating you even if this is considered weird. Just outright tell them that you know what they're doing (without sounding too paranoid or they will try to turn it around on you) and that you won't deal with it.

They are the ones in the wrong, they will probably either stop what they're doing or pretend they don't know what you're talking about. If they do, I would definitely isolate myself from that individual if possible.

I've become hyperaware and paranoid in the past because I can be manipulated by others, it can be difficult to prevent this if you are manipulated on a continuous basis, my advice is to give most people the benefit of the doubt until you have real reasons to be suspicious of them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

rmgh wrote:
If anyone is succeptable to emotional manipulation, they should probably stay isolated. No?

I think everyone is more or less succeptable to emotional manipulation, and remaining isolated is not always the best way to deal with it so no.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

I don't think staying isolated is even possible. Circumstances will force you into interactions no matter what you do. A better bet is to aim for interactions you'll enjoy.

In terms of dealing with manipulation, I'd say learning some general rules are your best bet - check out what they say instead of taking people's word for it, don't feel bad about saying no or 'I need to think about it' if the situation makes you uncomfortable even if you don't have a clear reason (and if they give you trouble for doing this it's a big warning sign), and find people you can trust and run it past them as well.