Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2011, 7:34 am

Namely me! Math and algebra are mystifying subjects, but I'm dying to grasp and understand them. I can picture these concepts in my head as long as they're described in specific detail, not just looking at an equation. Dyscalculia at work, but I've found a way to circumvent it, as long as it's described in detail and in paragraph form.

I don't hate math, not at all. In fact, I'd love to be able to understand it better because it would open up a whole new way of understanding the world.

Ditto on the above for computer programming.

Any advice at all?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 8:10 am

if small videos about specific subjects are helpfull you could try
Khan Academy

it allows you to watch videos explaining and walking through the excorcise, it then allows you to do exorcises and when you can do 5 correct in a row it ticks off so you can keep track of what you have learned.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2011, 8:29 am

That sounds awesome. Thanks!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 5:34 am

Oodain wrote:
Khan Academy

it allows you to watch videos explaining and walking through the excorcise, it then allows you to do exorcises and when you can do 5 correct in a row it ticks off so you can keep track of what you have learned.

Is that how ghosts stay fit?

Excorcise?

Or did you mean "excorcisms"?

A priest on the video conducts a series of "excorcisms" of the dyscalculate demons who possesses you?

You end up soaked in your own sweat and vomit and exhuasted from the catharsis, but for the first time in your life you find that you can do simultaneous equations!

Lol!

I know... I misspell tons of stuff in all my posts. But that just struck me as funny for some reason.

Happy Halloween.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:21 am

Hey, well I would advise just relax and play with it. Go for a walk to a faraway library and spend a lovely day with various concepts and patterns. Read a book about problem solving. I think there is no use from doing excorcisms if one wants to clearly understand fundamentals of the soul. And this understanding will stay for a long time. What I mean is that, in my experience, students usually tend to cram various classes of problems without thinking how they naturally flow from the general theory. One could also think what excorcisms tend to arise from which bodies. It is all very logical and intertwined. I know this sounds kinda useless and, well, prolly is :D But I always encourage people to connect with math more, to engage their imagination and stay away from all the distractions.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Oodain wrote:
Khan Academy

Excorcise?

A priest on the video conducts a series of "excorcisms" of the dyscalculate demons who possesses you?

You end up soaked in your own sweat and vomit and exhuasted from the catharsis, but for the first time in your life you find that you can do simultaneous equations!

Lol!

I know... I misspell tons of stuff in all my posts. But that just struck me as funny for some reason.

Happy Halloween.

:lol:

i swear i kknow trhe words untill i try to write them :oops:

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Samarda
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

Are there any mathematicians with dyscalculia , is it even possible. I did hear that they can comprehend higher areas of mathematics but not simple arithmetic or Boolean algebra.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:37 pm

Samarda wrote:
Are there any mathematicians with dyscalculia , is it even possible. I did hear that they can comprehend higher areas of mathematics but not simple arithmetic or Boolean algebra.

Interesting thought...

I have often said that I'm a mathematician, but I don't do sums.

In a sense, I can't do 2x2=4, but I'm happy with 11x11x11x11=14641 and visualising more than three or four dimensions.

Drakryttare
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

Samarda wrote:

I used to have a teacher who has dyscalculia. She taught chemistry, including stoichiometry. Often she brought copied solutions, just in case, but she never messed up the theory and most calculation errors where just the numbers being scrambled.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 5:19 am

-Skeksis- wrote:
Namely me! Math and algebra are mystifying subjects, but I'm dying to grasp and understand them. I can picture these concepts in my head as long as they're described in specific detail, not just looking at an equation. Dyscalculia at work, but I've found a way to circumvent it, as long as it's described in detail and in paragraph form.

I don't hate math, not at all. In fact, I'd love to be able to understand it better because it would open up a whole new way of understanding the world.

Ditto on the above for computer programming.

Any advice at all?

Math is sooo beautiful. I wish I could help but I struggle with it also. I just usually practice a lot. I love how they created it soo long ago and that we use it today. Makes my body feel really good.

barnabear
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Samarda wrote:

As the joke goes, there are 3 sorts of Mathematicians - those that can count and those that can't.

It is quite possible for someone to get a degree in Mathematics, but to struggle with arithmetic. Arithmetic is just one small area of Mathematics.

Temple Grandin gave an excellent talk at TED. She said that if an aspie child is a visual thinker, then they should skip algebra and go straight to geometry.

One of my supervisors at University was an algebraic topologist, married to another algebraic topologist. I remarked that they must have amazing conversations over the breakfast table, but he said not really as they work on different branches of algebraic topology.

So you can become very specialized as a mathematician. Let computers crunch the numbers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 7:37 pm

Samarda wrote:

It is one thing to prove theorems. It is another to do sums.

ruveyn

lau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 8:38 am

ruveyn wrote:
Samarda wrote:

It is one thing to prove theorems. It is another to do sums.

My usual quip(sic) is: "I'm a mathematician - I don't do sums."

theemor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

Drakryttare wrote:
Samarda wrote:

I used to have a teacher who has dyscalculia. She taught chemistry, including stoichiometry. Often she brought copied solutions, just in case, but she never messed up the theory and most calculation errors where just the numbers being scrambled.

Perhaps it's not as relevant as I think it is, but I find it interesting and at least coincidental that in my Chemistry class the further mathematicians(those who not only take maths[which is optional], but further maths[meaning 2 and a half hours of maths a day]) seem to be the ones who struggle the most with stociochemistry and relatively simple arithmetic calculations despite being able to do higher level maths a lot easier.

It seems some people find the more abstract aspect of maths a lot easier than the practical aspects, while others are the opposite of this.

DHaze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

I have similar problems with math. Something that helps me is to look up similar equations (with the answers) to what you're learning in school and instead of trying to use a preset calculation to solve the problem, try and work through the problem in your own way to get the same answers.

jackmt
Raven
Raven

24 Dec 2011, 2:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Oodain wrote:
Khan Academy

Excorcise?

Lol!

Happy Halloween.

You know what happens when you don't pay your exorcist, don't you? You get repossessed.