Are there real physical differences with Aspergers?

Page 1 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

I was born without tonsils, I have no soft pallet in my mouth, rather I have something like a Jacobson's organ there, (usually found in cats) my sternum is like an armor plate twice, as wide as most, I am double jointed and my bones are very strong. I grew back part of a finger that was lost below the first knuckle, fingernail and all grew back and it looks normal. Wounds heal quickly, and when I get blood drawn, it never bleeds when they pull out the needle.

Does anyone else have any characteristics like this?

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

I wish I was born without tonsils.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

shrox wrote:
... I am double jointed ...

Double-jointedness (and painful hyper-mobility) are the only one on your list that I have seen published as physical traits of ASD.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

I have really strong bones. I seem to bounce, I just recently had a really bad crash with an on coming vehicle whilst on my peddle bike and even though my bikes in a right mess I've just got 2 bruises. I also heel very quickly if I get a cut and I don't really scar. I've been beaten up really badly in my life and it's always a disappointment to me when I've got nothing to show for what I've been through (I know that must sound strange), I also can't express myself when I'm in pain very well.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

babybird wrote:
I have really strong bones. I seem to bounce, I just recently had a really bad crash with an on coming vehicle whilst on my peddle bike and even though my bikes in a right mess I've just got 2 bruises. I also heel very quickly if I get a cut and I don't really scar. I've been beaten up really badly in my life and it's always a disappointment to me when I've got nothing to show for what I've been through (I know that must sound strange), I also can't express myself when I'm in pain very well.

Me too about the scars, my Indiana Jones Chin Scar is almost gone...

Last edited by shrox on 13 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

I had tonsils but after they were taken out they grew back partially. I also heal very quickly. I have no lower wisdom teeth.

Halla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

I read somewhere that low muscle tone is common in people who have AS.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

Shizuoka, are you saying that not only that aspies have superhuman brains but they also have super human bodies? If we weren't so impaired socially and in a few other ways, depending on the individual, it would seem natural that we would just take over the world.

I have a degree of double jointedness/hypermobility. I bring my arms, while locked together, all the way around my body without hurting myself or feeling any pain.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Shizuoka, are you saying that not only that aspies have superhuman brains but they also have super human bodies? If we weren't so impaired socially and in a few other ways, depending on the individual, it would seem natural that we would just take over the world...

Pretty much. I am Shrox Khan.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

I remember seeing a list that at least claimed to scientific. I can only remember 3 items, though. One was "attached earlobes" (as opposed to dangling), and the other was an unusual shape of the head. I think a larger head is also known to be associated.

Anyway, I have those three. Also, more skin than usual between fingers & toes (but not enough to look weird at a glance).

I read that the skin thing can be due to cells that are genetically programmed to "suicide," not suiciding as intended. I wonder if that relates the the hypothesis about brain connections in autism not being pruned enough (is that process another programmed-cell-death phenomenon?)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:21 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I remember seeing a list that at least claimed to scientific. I can only remember 3 items, though. One was "attached earlobes" (as opposed to dangling), and the other was an unusual shape of the head. I think a larger head is also known to be associated.

Anyway, I have those three. Also, more skin than usual between fingers & toes (but not enough to look weird at a glance).

I read that the skin thing can be due to cells that are genetically programmed to "suicide," not suiciding as intended. I wonder if that relates the the hypothesis about brain connections in autism not being pruned enough (is that process another programmed-cell-death phenomenon?)

I don't think I have any of those traits.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

Any other aspies have joint problems?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Well I know I always used to hate P.E class because I could not do most of the activities as easily as other kids....like I am pretty inflexable so I even sucked at the stretches and stuff. So yeah it seems like I have some minor physical issues, but I have no idea if it has anything to do to the AS......It could also have a lot to do with the lack of energy associated with depression and maybe the anxiety has something to do with me always feeling tense and thus having trouble with activities involving flexible body movements.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

I am not even going to reply to threads like these any more.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

"Brain cells do not replicate. Once they die, they're gone for good."

Whoah! I almost started my answer with that. Boy am I glad I looked it up, because you never know what discoveries have been made. Turns out they can, and DO replace themselves when they die, but it seems the replication may not restore the brain to its original state.

Wow! That got me thinking about that new study suggesting the Autistic brain has more neurons than the non-Autistic brain. Holy cow. I can just imagine the nutty theories about Autistic superiority that may come out of all this! 8O

Duck and run for cover! :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

I found some interesting links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20473590

Quote:
J Autism Dev Disord. 2011 Jan;41(1):23-31.
Morphological features in children with autism spectrum disorders: a matched case-control study.

Abstract

This study was designed to examine morphological features in a large group of children with autism spectrum disorder versus normal controls. Amongst 421 patients and 1,007 controls, 224 matched pairs were created. Prevalence rates and odds ratios were analyzed by conditional regression analysis, McNemar test or paired t-test matched pairs. Morphological abnormalities were significantly more prevalent in patients with autism than in the normal control group and 48 morphological features distinguished patients from controls. Our findings show that morphological features are associated with autism. Exploring potential underlying genetic mechanisms of this association might lead to a better understanding of autism.

And this blog post summarizes the above article:

http://daisymayfattypants.blogspot.com/ ... es-of.html
Quote:
Are there really physical features of autism?
A study that came out in May compared 224 autistic children with intelligence in the normal range and 224 age-matched non-autistic children. According to their findings, several features occurred among the group of autistic children but were absent among the neurotypical group, including:

* Brachycephaly (flat, wide head; TH had this from back sleeping, but his fontanelles didn't close until very late, rather than too early)
* Mouth asymmetry
* Ear lobe crease
* Asymmetry of the eyes
* A large mouth
* Limited facial expression (only in new social situations)
* An abnormal whorl (TH has a piebald hair color distribution; he has a neurotypical cousin with double whorls)
* A prominent lower jaw

Further, certain features occurred in the ASD group with relatively high frequency, including:

* Sandal gap toes
* An abnormal frontal hair whorl
* Attached earlobes
* A high, narrow palate
* Hypermobile joints

According to one report on the study, these features were more common among boys with ASD compared to girls, and the authors draw a potential link to copy number variations, or CNVs, a focus that has moved to the fore in responsible autism research. In brief, carrying different numbers of copies of the same DNA sequence might produce different outcomes or combinations of outcomes.

I've boldfaced the features that TH shares with these children. How do you or your child stack up?
Posted by Emily at 5:37 PM

I definitely don't have a large jaw or mouth, and I don't think I'm hypermobile, but I think I fit most of the rest of that list.

I guess these "hey, I got a funny bump on my head, is that related to ASD?" threads aren't always ridiculous. :)