Anyone else have days where they feel extremely sensitive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2011, 1:42 am

For example, today I didn't feel myself at all. I feel like my thinking is impaired and I'm extremely spaced out. I went out with a couple friends and when I was trying to tell them a story I couldn't focus long enough to tell it, and had trouble stringing it together. Also, I felt really sensitive to touch today. When I feel my hair rub against my face it irks me. I don't even want to wear my jacket because when the metal zipper touches me I cant stand the sensation.

I kept getting distracted by little noises all day as well. Not only is touch bothering me but sound as well. It's like everything was intensified and uncomfortable.

I don't know if its related to my recently messed up sleeping schedule, and the fact that I've been waking up at odd hours of the day all week or not, but I just know I didn't feel right today.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 2:06 am

Some days I function better than others. I think this is quite normal.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 2:59 am

Yep. Usually, it's when I get on the bus to go to work. Everything seems too loud, I notice smells more acutely (draw your own conclusions on that one...), and--I don't know how else to describe it. It's like being bombarded by everything all at once. It's all I can do not to start screaming like a maniac when this happens.

By the time I get to work I need several minutes to calm myself down so I can get into cashier/greeter mode.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 3:20 am

Yes, some days are easier, others are harder. My sensitivity arose while I was having an extremely tensed period in my life recently. My friend told me I'd explode if someone stroke a match near me. Sensitivities that I had as a kid returned and stayed with me for a while, like being nauseous on the bus or even in the car on wavy road. I also had heightened sensitivity to smells. However, my sensitivity to sounds didn't change, it's always up there. I'm not particularly sensitive to touch, though.

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2011, 4:55 am

eatingcereal wrote:
For example, today I didn't feel myself at all. I feel like my thinking is impaired and I'm extremely spaced out. I went out with a couple friends and when I was trying to tell them a story I couldn't focus long enough to tell it, and had trouble stringing it together. Also, I felt really sensitive to touch today. When I feel my hair rub against my face it irks me. I don't even want to wear my jacket because when the metal zipper touches me I cant stand the sensation.

I kept getting distracted by little noises all day as well. Not only is touch bothering me but sound as well. It's like everything was intensified and uncomfortable.

I don't know if its related to my recently messed up sleeping schedule, and the fact that I've been waking up at odd hours of the day all week or not, but I just know I didn't feel right today.

Could be due to the messed up sleep schedule. At the present time I also feel hypersensitive to everything and as though I can hardly cope with anything or anyone that comes my way. This is because I have been staying up until the early hours of the morning every night for weeks now and then not being able to catch up on sleep the next day, so that I only sleep about 4 hours. It has felt for weeks as though my head is about to detach itself from the rest of my body and that everbody can see how spaced out I am. It feels like an immense challenge appearing normal whenever anyone speaks to me and as though I could just disintegrate into a complete wreck. It's due mainly to sleep deprivation, I think.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2011, 5:02 am

There are these days when I feel so social and neurotypical. :D I can chat with everybody and act so confident. However, there are other days (particularly those after a long period of isolation, for instance, two or three days locked up in my flat with no-one to talk to) when I can tend to act really weird when dealing with social contact. I find it harder than ever to look people in the eye, or to use a normal voice tone. It's as if I've lost practice, as far as being social is concerned, and this exhausts me so much. I tend to go back home and stim for hours when faced with a day like that. :oops:
Am I the only one who suffers from this? I mean, the fact of needing to regenerate alone after being with lots of other people (for instance, uni). And do you stim, too, in order to get rid of all the pressure?

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:24 am

I especially notice this with my daughter. Some mornings she will be a nightmare to get ready. Tooth brushing, hair combing, putting on tights and shoes - everything is driving her crazy. Then she moans all the way to school. If it's windy and her hair is going onto her face, she's almost in tears. But, some days, like today, there seems to be very little bothering her. I don't know what the triggers are, I wish I did. I also have days like that, but her reactions are much more extreme than mine. She is only 6 yrs (next week), so maybe she will grow to conceal her discomfort, like I have.

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2011, 5:48 am

Yup, everything is brighter to me mostly, sounds might be a little louder too and I donno about smells. At the end of the day I'll have a massive headache and trouble sleeping because of it. sometimes the headache can stay for an additional day. I don't like those days.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 9:40 am

I suspect it may be the messed up sleeping schedule.

I function a lot worse when I'm tired than when I'm not. When I'm tired I find it more difficult to do things the way I'm expected to, I'm a lot more sensitive, I have more sensory issues, I'm more clumsy, everything is more difficult and frustrating and I'm a lot more prone to meltdowns.

Today is one of those days. Yesterday was a long and busy day for me and I went to sleep a lot later than I'm used to and didn't sleep well, so I've been tired all day today. Thankfully I can just be home alone minding my own business this time and don't have to go anywhere or get much done, but I've already had a meltdown and have not been feeling good and I know that I'll feel like this until I can get some more sleep.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

whitemissacacia wrote:
Am I the only one who suffers from this? I mean, the fact of needing to regenerate alone after being with lots of other people (for instance, uni). And do you stim, too, in order to get rid of all the pressure?

I ALWAYS have to "regenerate alone" after work. I work at WalMart, as either a people greeter or cashier (depending on what they need me to do that day) and I must be in "social mode" all day.

It's not too difficult to turn that on and stay in it, but when the workday is over I can feel myself "crashing." I just need to go home and not deal with anyone for a while.

I may actually stim WHILE I'm at work. After a while, the lip-chewing urge starts. I try to avert my head so no one will notice, but I'm pretty sure some people have. No one's said anything, yet.

Going in soon, btw--my first Black Friday. 8O

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 10:02 am

I have that every day.

lastnightilie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Me too with the sleeping thing. It's really more that sensory information, I feel, is something I need to "cope" with. So of course, if I am in a good mood, well-fed, well-rested, and motivated, I am better able to cope than when I am not. And if I don't get enough sleep and everything like that, sometimes I feel like I will just fall apart if I leave the house. Like, if someone sits next to me, I freak out because I can't deal with them rubbing against me and things like that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 11:24 am

yeah thats how I felt yesterday.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

25 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Yes. Some days I have a lot of trouble with noises, or showering, stuff like that.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

eatingcereal wrote:

yeah, i get like this sometimes too. i get extremely frustrated and upset by small things when it happens.

OP, i love both your username and your avatar!

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2011, 5:00 pm

My levels of sensitivity to various kinds of sensory imput varies not only from one day to the next, but over the course of any given day.
As for feeling spaced out with impaired thinking, I have that pretty much every day, though some days it's more pronounced than others. Last night, I signed up with this online brain training program, because I decided that I can't continue to live with this level of cognitive impairment. Based on the game training games and activities I've participated in thus far, profile shows my percentage numbers to be very low relative to the rest of that internet community. :oops: My highest score at present is problem solving, and that's at 20%. Everything else is significantly lower, and I'm in the bottom 10% in most areas. My overall percentage score is 4%. I was expecting my scores to be on the low side, but not that low, especially considering that the people who join this particular community generally do so because they are experiencing a degree of impairment in their mental sharpness/ clarity. Apparently my level of impairment is quite severe. 8O I really hope my scores will improve with practice, and this will bring about an improvement in my overall functioning. I suspect there's going to be a lot of fluctuation, though, and my progress will be very slow if there is real progress. Just as my sensory issues fluctuate from day to day, my abilities do as well.