Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How good are you in math?
Variables? Numbers? Talk about NIGHTMARE!! !! ! 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
I got difficulty; never got this algebra thing 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
About average; struggled about algebra and Pythagore, but get through it 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Above average; little or no difficulty and getting good scores for tests 24%  24%  [ 21 ]
Gifted in math; Perfect score for algebra and Pythagore? Talk about routine, or too bored by the easiness of school math to care about it 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
I eat integrals for breakfast (Not forgetting to balance my diet with matrix, of course) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm

From what I seen so far it seem that on Wrong Planet most, including a lot of very intelligent and gifted ones, have difficulty in math. There are other who on the other hand are very good at it. I don't heard much about being average though... So I'm posting this poll to getting a better idea of it.

I'm more interested for miidlle/high school level and beyond; in elementary school you don't really do math.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

I couldn't divide without a calculator if my life depended on it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:24 pm

I am no good at maths. I don't hate it, but I am no good at it. Very underaverage!

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

Its kind of funny, but I'm really good at more advanced math but not so hot at alot of basic stuff. For example, I am absolutely terrible at doing math in my head or by hand, and I'm really pretty bad at basic trigonometry as well. That said, I can calculate the heat flux due to microwave irradiation like its nothing! (with a calculator, of course :P)

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm

Math's not my thing. I'm not bad at it, but I'm not good at it either.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

At school I was very good at maths.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

I was good at math, till i've moved in another city. :D

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

I'm pretty bad with math, but I think I tend to apply what I do know a lot more than most people. Application is where it counts anyway. No sense in knowing the steps if you can't apply them! I struggle with math a lot though, so I have to use silly methods to get my answers (answers which people who are gifted with math can't give me since they never seem to understand what I'm looking for).

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:41 pm

Algebra made little sense to me. Especially advanced algebra. The rules seemed strange. No matter how hard I tried, could not get the right answer. Geometry however, aced it!

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
I was good at math, till i've moved in another city. :D

That holds true for me. For every teacher it seemed it was just different. Maybe that is just because since it was said by another person my brain interpreted it as not the same rules since said by someone else? It's all a big shrug.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

I needed something more than integrals and matrices..
Is that all you've got? ;)

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

19 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I am no good at maths. I don't hate it, but I am no good at it. Very underaverage!
I don't hate math either, I just can't do it by-the-textbook. Gotta visualize it and draw some good pictures to accompany those algebra problems!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

It turns out that I am good at maths but the ADHD doesn't go together with basic arithmetics usually.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

19 Dec 2011, 1:16 pm

Sora wrote:
It turns out that I am good at maths but the ADHD doesn't go together with basic arithmetics usually.
Very true! For me, 2+2 always equals 5 unless I use a calculator. Oddly enough, when I was in middle school, in math class we would start with warm-up problems on a sheet that read, "ADD - Arithmetic Done Daily".

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

I picked "average," as I usually fall in the average range overall for math. However, I have NVLD, so my math abilities are really scattered. I'm quite gifted in algebra, and the only perfect math test scores I've ever received have been in algebra courses. But visual-spatial math subsets are really a struggle for me. Geometry (other than the algebra parts) and trigonometry were great struggles for me.

So, despite having a math learning disability. I've always come out as "average" or "above-average" on math aptitude tests, because my algebra skills offset the poor grasp I have of visual-spatial math. The only reason I made it through advanced math courses was because of my photographic memory and algebra skills. I finished beginning integral calculus. That's my limit for advanced math. I'll just keep getting infinitely closer to multi-variate/calc III.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

When I was in elementary school they tested me (I think it might have been an IQ test but I don't remember it well enough, and don't know who to ask to see the results, if they even still have them) and determined I was gifted in Math, and put me in enriched classes all through elementary and high school for Math and Science. Unfortunately, I was extremely bored when it came to Math, so I didn't get very good marks in high school because I simply didn't do the work. They had me do this math competition every year though, and I always scored highest or near highest in the school for it.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman