Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 5:16 am

No offence, but it sounds like you were perceived as a nuisance to deal with. I'd be annoyed with someone that turned to buy lunch with a heap of coins too.

Nothing to do with bullying, just inconvenience and frustration I'd say. Perhaps avoid putting yourself into those situations.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:20 am

kahlua wrote:
No offence, but it sounds like you were perceived as a nuisance to deal with. I'd be annoyed with someone that turned to buy lunch with a heap of coins too.

Nothing to do with bullying, just inconvenience and frustration I'd say. Perhaps avoid putting yourself into those situations.

Yeah cashiers usually dislike these two things for good reason:

* Using a large note to buy a cheap item. Because it means losing a lot of small change for later exchanges and the possible inconvenience as a result.
* Using small change to buy a expensive item. Because they have to count it and ensure their till is balanced by the end of the day, and it slows them down. This can frustrate waiting customers too.

mycats
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2012, 9:44 am

I have a photo pertaining to this that I posted online at this link.

http://uncommongenius.org/bully.htm

The photo is on the bottom, you just have to scroll down a little bit to get to it.

Rules like this are not fair to someone like me. They can easily use these rules to harass people who are different. They are not likely to push these rules to anyone who is so called normal and fits in.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:45 am

From someone who has long been involved in Retail (yuck! & Irony!), when I worked at C-stores we had the rule about pennies. It didn't apply to other coinage though. Reason? It holds up the line & makes it easy for a customer to shortchange you. I even look the other way, unless someone brought ina jar of small change.
But later working Customer Service for the Empir...er, Wal-Mart, I know the other side of that. If the cashier was rude, complain to management. Its your right.
I've met bullying on the Job, now that one is a worse problem. Not much you can REALLY do if its your supervisor giving you a hard time. And the reason I no longer work at that Big Name Store.

Sincerely,
Matthew

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

That store sounds awful, the workers are jerks, and if it were me I just wouldn't go there. If they are going to be mean/rude to me they don't deserve my business.

Money is money. If you pay in all change I don't even care if it's pennies. It's money and they need to just take it and stfu.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

It doesn't sound like bullying to me. It sounds like being rude.

There are many rude people in the world. You can deal with them by 1) being ruder to them than they are to you, but this can escelate into an argument or even a physical confrontation so make sure it's worth that first 2) being overly kind to them in return hoping against hope that they will realize they are being rude and feel like crap about it 3) complain about them to someone in authority if the situation allows, although that never changes a persons natural demeanor 4) ignore and/or avoid them.

Everytime a person is rude or mean to you, or even intimidating to you, does not make it bullying.

An example would be that I may be in a hurry and swamped with doing things, lets say I worked in retail. Lets say I was short with a customer and not so very nice. That wouldn't be bullying, even if the person felt bullied. It would be my natural reaction to being under pressure and having more perceived pressure added by the customer standing there counting change. If I thought to myself "Oh, this guy looks annoying and I don't like him, I'm going to make him feel bad" then that is bullying.

We can't afford to minimize actual bullying by labeling every rude encounter we have as such.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com