Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jpr11011
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2012, 6:46 pm

I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong sub-forum, but I don't know where else to put this.

I have trouble reading people and analyzing. I can manage the whole social aspect of it; I've found work-arounds. However, English class is exceptionally difficult as a result of this problem.

I used to do really well in English- I'm a quick, diligent reader and I remember what I read. However, I cannot analyze characters and their motivations very well. Like today, I got a paper back in English that was an analysis on a character. I spent literally hours figuring this dude out. Still, my teacher commented that my analysis was "shallow". This is not a one-off. I cannot analyze fictional characters. I don't know what makes them tick.

Due to worries about stigmatization, my parents opted not to tell my high school that I currently attend about my HBI. It is too late to tell them now, nor do I wish to tell them. So, accommodations on this front are not feasible.

Does anyone know a good work-around for analyzing characters?

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm

jpr11011 wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong sub-forum, but I don't know where else to put this.

I have trouble reading people and analyzing. I can manage the whole social aspect of it; I've found work-arounds. However, English class is exceptionally difficult as a result of this problem.

I used to do really well in English- I'm a quick, diligent reader and I remember what I read. However, I cannot analyze characters and their motivations very well. Like today, I got a paper back in English that was an analysis on a character. I spent literally hours figuring this dude out. Still, my teacher commented that my analysis was "shallow". This is not a one-off. I cannot analyze fictional characters. I don't know what makes them tick.

Due to worries about stigmatization, my parents opted not to tell my high school that I currently attend about my HBI. It is too late to tell them now, nor do I wish to tell them. So, accommodations on this front are not feasible.

Does anyone know a good work-around for analyzing characters?

Yes, your school or local library should have all kinds of criticism of major works of literature. There are also Cliff's notes.

BTW, you're not alone. I had the same problems in English, including being told that my writing style is incomprehensible.

jpr11011
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2012, 8:39 pm

Thanks :) I will read up on analysis's (is that how you put that in the plural?) for homework assignments :)

Idk what to do about the SATs though....it's keeping my English composite scores in the 600s.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2012, 8:57 pm

jpr11011 wrote:
Thanks :) I will read up on analysis's (is that how you put that in the plural?) for homework assignments :)

Idk what to do about the SATs though....it's keeping my English composite scores in the 600s.

JPR, first, the plural of analysis is analyses. In fact, you can probably find plenty right on the Internet. Just google the title and author's name along with criticism.

When I was in school, 600 wasn't bad; it wasn't the best, but it was far better than average. Is 600 now a bad score?

Also, I hope you bear in mind that AS isn't high intelligence as much as it is an uneven profile of abilities.

Good luck!

jpr11011
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
jpr11011 wrote:

JPR, first, the plural of analysis is analyses. In fact, you can probably find plenty right on the Internet. Just google the title and author's name along with criticism.

When I was in school, 600 wasn't bad; it wasn't the best, but it was far better than average. Is 600 now a bad score?

Also, I hope you bear in mind that AS isn't high intelligence as much as it is an uneven profile of abilities.

Good luck!

Thanks! :) I don't fall into the AS category, but rather I have an HBI that causes me to struggle with many of the same issues people with AS face. In my case, my intelligence is completely normal, but it is under-stimulated because my brain just cannot process certain types of information. I do think that having to compensate for this and do well in school is increasing my practical intelligence, but I am not sure.

manBrain
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2012, 4:38 am

Hi jpr11011

I am a very analytical person who nevertheless managed to excel at an English/humanities degree.

I did this by using my strengths in analysis to counteract my deficiencies in intuitive understanding.

At the time I did not know that I was ASD, so this technique developed without me realising what I was doing, which I find interesting.

What I did was *understand the question* that the assignment was requiring me to answer.
The question required a *particular structure* to be made in the answer: usually an introduction, middle section with supporting evidence, and a conclusion.
In other words, I did not have to understand the motivations of the characters, or their inner worlds, only the structure of the essay that I was required to write.

This is basically a "call and answer" mechanism: they say this, you reply that.

So when the teacher refers to your homework assignment as a "shallow" interpretation, I do not think that this reflects on how genuine your soul is (!) or even how good you are at "reading people".
What it means is that you did not put enough structure and detail in your essay.

Try drawing a picture or diagram of the characters and their interactions, or a timeline of their story.
This may give you clues to what you are supposed to say in your English assignments.

Good luck

zette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 6:12 am

What is HBI?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Jan 2012, 9:46 am

I've found it easier to analyze a character based on their actions rather than their described personalities. A good way to practice this is reading books like Of Mice and Men and The Great Gatsby. Both of them use colors and symbols to sort of tell you what's going on, and the associations between characters and the objects/symbols can really tell you about the characters.

I wish you luck. :salut: