Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 11:57 pm

8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

Syd Barret and Jim Morrison, kinda hard to choose a favorite out of those two.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:02 am

Cool. I'll need to think of mine, so many talents have passed away, when you think of it... Luckily, none of my idols had passed away while I was into them.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:15 am

Off the top of my head, I think Layne Staley and Cliff Burton are the ones who stand out the most.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:17 am

Ludwig von Beethoven

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:21 am

If we're going for classical, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:24 am

Gustav Mahler by far, although technically he was more composer than musician. In terms of more recent musicians, I'd probably say either Stevie Ray Vaughan or Albert King.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:40 am

It's between Joe Strummer and Phil Ochs.
They were not just musicians they were the voice of social Justice.
When Strummer died I cried for an entire week. The Clash was the first band that caused me to form a joyous addiction to music.
When you loose your hero the joy of life temporarily dies until you find another hero.
Luckily I have but that doesn't make me miss him any less.

Also Ian Curtis and Elliot Smith were pretty inspirational for me.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 1:30 am

Richard Wagner.

He was revolutionary in his day, and instrumental in the evolution of music in to the music I like.

You will reap what you've sown.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2012, 1:33 am

That's a tough one because there are quite a few. I will say Jimi Hendrix. I've researched him and he seemed very interesting, not to mention that he was a phenomenal guitarist. Love purple haze!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 1:35 am

Klaus Nomi. I love his voice; I've never heard anything like it before. He probably would've been really famous if he hadn't died such a sad death just as his career was starting to take off.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYpepxGkyY[/youtube]

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:27 am

Too numerous to name. I happened to be listening to this song and it stayed in my mind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmAPYkPeYU[/youtube]

TheSunAlsoRises

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:33 am

'tis a tie between fats waller and chick webb- each was the master of his respective domain, with fats the king of all keyboards [pipe organ, hammond and piano] and chick the dominator on the drumkit. if the incomparable pete fountain were in the heavenly band, then it would be a three-way tie, as he is the lord of the licorice stick, and the greatest clarinetist that ever lived.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
'tis a tie between fats waller and chick webb- each was the master of his respective domain, with fats the king of all keyboards [pipe organ, hammond and piano] and chick the dominator on the drumkit. if the incomparable pete fountain were in the heavenly band, then it would be a three-way tie, as he is the lord of the licorice stick, and the greatest clarinetist that ever lived.

Chick Webb is highly under rated I find, people tend to focus on Buddy Rich or Max Roach.

You will reap what you've sown.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:56 am

Perry Como. I think he's vastly underrated, simply because his career was sorta so steady, and he had a long happy healthy life and died in an old age. But, just listen to Como's "Fly Me to the Moon" and the Sinatra version and decide for yourself. Como and Sinatra. It could be a matter of my taste, though.

But, for a more modern dead artist. Melanie Thornton. Very popular singer in eurodance, sang for La Bouche in the 90s, among other eurodance artists. Anyway, at around the same time as the R&B artist Aliyah, she died in a plane crash like her. I personally like Melanie much better than Aliyah, and think she's one of the most talented vocalists ever to grace the genre of eurodance.

And lastly, as corny and obvious as this sounds, Michael Jackson. Musically, he really did sorta revolutionize pop music, even if the influence isn't quite as apparent in US, I think worldwide he had a LOT of influence. His first few albums were just flawless wonderful albums, and pretty much all his music pre "Bad" will be played a hundred or more years from now. The bandwagon that occurred after his death was completely nuts. Before he died, you almost had to be a closet Michael Jackson fan, if you were an MJ fan, you were immediately accused of being in cohorts with a child molester. You NEVER heard MJ on most radio stations after his whole 2000s case. Like overnight, my sisters's opinion on my limited amount of MJ music went from "you're weird, and it's old and lame" to overnight developing a massive appreciation of it magically or something. But, despite the bandwagon of people that now claim to have always been Michael Jackson's biggest fans, really, his music was spectacular, and nobody could really top him, I mean he certainly "faded away" as the years went on, but the first 3 albums can't really be topped. Now, too, it's ideal, as the craze has died down, so now not everyone and their dog is claiming to be MJ's greatest fans ever, but you can listen to his stuff without being accused of supporting a child molester. It's quite odd, in a sense, his death "freed" him, as now it's OK socially to listen to his music again. But yeah, MJ, obvious, but awesome.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2012, 3:05 am

Kurt Cobain.
Why didn't anyone else mention him?