In what way does Asperger's Syndrome impact dating?

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CJH123
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2014, 7:05 am

Transhuman wrote:
I've read somewhere that most young men with Asperger's never dated, and that the marriage rates in those with Asperger's Syndrome are very low compared to the general population. In what way, and how, do you think Asperger's impacts romantic (and/or sexual) relationships? Or do many Aspies also don't desire romantic (and/or sexual) relationships as much as the general population?

I have never dated but I will tell you that the misconception of Aspies not having romantic or sexual desires is wrong! It really gets on my nerves because at least this is how I have always felt most people think of AS, Its wrong however I have if not maybe the strongest desire to be in a relationship for love and companionship and when it comes down to sexual stuff yes but that's not like a really big driving force I'm looking for hugs and kisses, somebody to be around. However their are Aspies who don't care about relationships and don't desire them, the rates are like they are due to problems we and our partners due to AS can face but also partly due to rumors about AS. Not a single person I have met in my age bracket at least where I am now in school etc thinks I have any relationship or even sexual knowledge and desires sometimes I think its because they know I have AS but I wish people would see that I'm super lonely even a friend would be cool but then I'm one of those fairy love tale types and really could just absorb myself into my partner, problem is where to find somebody for me somebody that can see I want love and to give it and somebody that will help heal me.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

^^^

deep.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 4:35 pm

I can't speak for everyone, and I am not a diagnosed aspie yet either (my aspie boyfriend doesn't think I have as either), but the way my problems limit me in relationships and dating are:

1. I can be very introverted because I am stuck in my own mind/thoughs. This can happen right in the middle of social contact where I just seem to 'tune out' and get really quiet. Obviously, this doesn't help me when I am on a date with an NT guy. They will find this very awkward and may see me as aloof or weird.
2. I can be very obsessive when I meet someone that I really like. I start to research their everything. When a guy I like doesn't text or call me within a time period that I would consider normal, I get very nervous and angry. I automatically think the other person doesn't want me. Perhaps this has to do with mind-blindeness.
3. Because of this lack of empathy I also get really mad when my partner or crush disagrees with me on crucial moral topics such as racism, immigrant policy, or justice. I tend to feel personally attacked because I cannot seem to figure out that what someone says is not always a litteral or black and white reflection of what someone thinks or feels. Anyway, I get really fidgetey.
4. Obviously, because of my insecurity (I think new people automatically find me weird) I find it REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to go on dates with guys. I avoid this because of my fear of rejection. I actually think this probably my biggest hurdle in dating.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm

Common aspie traits that likely have effected me:

Inability to notice social and non verbal cues often leaves one oblivious to the fact that someone else likes them, as well as oblivious to flirting

Constant ability to 'put one's foot in their mouth' may often kill your chances

Awareness of one's own awkwardness often makes them shy to ask someone out

Lack of eye contact leaves potential mates feeling disrespected

Showing different signs often leaves other oblivious to the fact that you like them

Being unable to pick up on cues means you often can't pick up on what your partner wants, an partners covey this non verbally

Lack of experience magnifies all above points later in life

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

well being socially-awkward, socially-inept, or just having below average social-skills/conversation-skills, being socially-deficient I feel is going to affect guys much worse than girls since guys are still overwhelmingly expected to do the approaching and asking out, making the first move, initiating, etc., while girls still remain passive.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 1:47 pm

Hope no one minds me posting to this old thread.

I was just thinking, perhaps there is a course out there on how to date that aspies can do to improve their chances on dating. That and perhaps getting a neurotypical friend, (if anyone has one) who has experience in dating to act as a wing boy or wing girl.

My own experience in dating is interesting.
I have had a few relationships and have dating a little. Although I note that almost all my relationships were instigated by the girl or instigated during a drunken bout after a night at a night club.

And ironically, although i think I have a fair amount to offer as I am relatively ok looking, fairly fit (have some muscles as I train at the gym and do some martial arts) am relatively intelligent (have a degree in sound engineering) and have some good interests (music, xbox one, judo, kickboxing, computer programming), i still am rubbish at communicating with woman or when I do communicate, I am often too intense for the woman and scare them away. I think that the intenseness must be a lot to do with having anxiety but also partly an aspie trait.

My shyness is probably the main barrier to me getting dates. As having no confidence and also not being able to small talk is really hard, as i generally feel really awkward when trying to small talk and flirt with woman and if anything end up saying something that is way too much or completely inappropriate or offensive, such as something that you would say to a woman who you are in a relationship with who you know very well.

What used to be ironic, when i was younger, i used to hang out with a group of lads and when i did pull the woman usually perceived me as a "lad" who was looking for a one night stand. But being an aspie I was actually the opposite, seeking a long term relationship, where i would be completely faithful and honest in.

Some years ago I did get married, but to a woman who said she was a Jehovah Witness.
This all turned out bad for various reasons however and again ironically
many of the problems that occurred was because I am extremely honest where my neurotypical wife was not.
We argued a lot, and a lot of our arguments were to do with my neurotypical "wife" breaking the religious rules that she enforced on me. Ironic as I kept her rediculously strict religious rules even though i was not a jehovah witness while she, who enforced the rules strictly broke every rule that she enforced onto me from the religion that she prescribed to. What was also even more ironic is that she thought that my complaints about her breaking her rules made me abusive and gave her good reason to commit adultery.

I also think that this relationship didn't work as I was exploited because of my gullible and kind hearted nature (which is also often an aspie trait).

But nevermind...

Now, I went to a night club last night and had a similar crap experience due to my lack of social skills.
I met my female cousin in the club, who invited me to join her and her gang of friends.
One of her friends took my hand and tried to get me to dance with her. But she got upset because i danced too quick, dancing at double time rather than slow. I wasn't out of time, i just don't have much experience dancing with woman but loads of experiencing dancing on my own having been a raver.

This caused some trouble. Then she asked me why i was still single. I then tried to explain in my usual honest and complicated way (which wasn't too clever as it was too much info for her to take in).

She then just looked at me in a strange way and walked off and spent the rest of the night not interacting with me.
As it turned out, she was married anyway. But still, if she wasn't, i would have also driven her away by my intensity and incompatible dancing.

I really think that someone out there who is firstly experienced in dating and getting laid, who also understands aspies should design a course for aspies to learn basic skills in dating etc. Perhaps also including dancing.

They should teach these skills to people while they are at school so that people don't end up struggling all the lives with not being able to get dates etc.