Abnormal breathing pattern-"sobbing breaths"?



Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

17 Feb 2012, 1:37 am

I seem to have developed some kind of breathing irregularity; I think it might be from stress and depression. (?)

I've had it for a few years now. I haven't gone to a doctor in years because I don't trust most doctors, and if I do have some sort of critical medical issue, I don't think I want to know.

The only way I can describe this is: it's like those quick consecutive breaths after crying for a long time - "sobbing breaths"....except I'm not crying. I get these at least several times a day, and it seems to happen more often when I'm stressed. It's completely involuntary...well, it's just like breathing. I never know which breaths are going to be "sobbing breaths" before they happen.

They only happen when I inhale. It's not every breath; the most frequent irregular breaths might have several normal breaths in between them....but sometimes there are hours in between these "sobbing breaths".

Anybody else ever experience anything like this, or know someone who has this issue?



justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Posts: 433

17 Feb 2012, 1:46 am

I've done this my whole life. I think it's because I have poor posture and shallow breathing. Every now and then I'll have a deep, involuntary intake of breath that is somewhat spasmodic in nature.

Getting exercise helps...anything that ups my heart rate and induces deeper breather. Cycling has been especially good for it.



Lynners
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: Jan 30, 2012
Posts: 117

17 Feb 2012, 1:49 am

Poor posture, weak tone are possible reasons. I know I personally hahve trouble breathing if I sit up straight.

I sigh at random times and people will ask me what is wrong. It's embarrassing.



goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

17 Feb 2012, 1:52 am

justalouise wrote:
I've done this my whole life. I think it's because I have poor posture and shallow breathing. Every now and then I'll have a deep, involuntary intake of breath that is somewhat spasmodic in nature.

Getting exercise helps...anything that ups my heart rate and induces deeper breather. Cycling has been especially good for it.


Thanks for your reply :)
That totally makes sense. I definitely have shallow breathing - and then I guess need more oxygen so these quick little inhales all happen together. I had searched online but didn't really seem to find a likely cause.



goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

17 Feb 2012, 1:54 am

Lynners wrote:
Poor posture, weak tone are possible reasons. I know I personally hahve trouble breathing if I sit up straight.

I sigh at random times and people will ask me what is wrong. It's embarrassing.


Me too. When I sigh, my husband always asks why I'm upset, and I have to tell him I'm just breathing.



Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Posts: 1556

17 Feb 2012, 2:45 am

I have these weird quick shallow breathing patterns that I have to do sometimes. It's voluntary, but I feel a strong urge to do it. I have a bunch of different patterns too - it used to be worse when I was younger, although I also had many tics, stims, etc. at the time.

When I hear a recording of myself playing instruments, I can sometimes hear myself holding/very slowly releasing my breath (well, that part I can't hear), then suddenly and quickly filling my lungs. Obviously this doesn't happen with wind instruments, haha.



goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

17 Feb 2012, 3:21 am

Atomsk wrote:
I have these weird quick shallow breathing patterns that I have to do sometimes. It's voluntary, but I feel a strong urge to do it. I have a bunch of different patterns too - it used to be worse when I was younger, although I also had many tics, stims, etc. at the time.

When I hear a recording of myself playing instruments, I can sometimes hear myself holding/very slowly releasing my breath (well, that part I can't hear), then suddenly and quickly filling my lungs. Obviously this doesn't happen with wind instruments, haha.


That's interesting that you have different patterns. I guess that's a stim then?

I can't seem to control this breath pattern. My "deep sigh" breath is controllable, even though when I need to sigh, it's mandatory.

Wind instruments breathing :) ...I'd bet playing wind instruments is healthy, with all of that deep breathing. :idea:



justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Posts: 433

17 Feb 2012, 3:51 am

I hold my breath when I play, too (mostly stringed instruments). I wish it weren't so hard to just relax and play...I should probably get back into yoga and some meditation.

Also if you have poor posture/slump, situps/crunches can help. It also helps prevent back problems.

(Another instance in which I should be better about taking my own advice).



goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

17 Feb 2012, 3:58 am

justalouise wrote:
I hold my breath when I play, too (mostly stringed instruments). I wish it weren't so hard to just relax and play...I should probably get back into yoga and some meditation.

Also if you have poor posture/slump, situps/crunches can help. It also helps prevent back problems.

(Another instance in which I should be better about taking my own advice).


..... /\...... that's me too :wink:
I didn't have this breathing problem when I was taking better care of myself. I need to get back into Tai Chi.



unduki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 21, 2011
Posts: 660

17 Feb 2012, 4:10 am

I have great posture. Thanks Mom.

I wonder if it's not a stimming kind of thing. Several years ago I found out that I hold my breath or breathe shallowly.

I had to become aware of my breathing because I was getting debilitating headaches doctors couldn't explain. For me, it's stress induced, like stimming.

Yoga helped immensely. I do something called "belly breathing" at least once a day and when I bend over, I make sure to exhale. The headaches went away after 6 months but I have to pay attention to my breathing all the time.

I hadn't thought about it but I used to suddenly suck in a lot of air at once every now and then, usually during a yawn. It was a little loud. In reading this post, I realized I don't do it any more.


_________________
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.


b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Aug 14, 2008
Posts: 10150
Location: australia

17 Feb 2012, 9:19 am

it sounds like subconscious spasms of the diaphragm.
there could be some chronic infection which interferes with the diaphragmatic stimulus from your hypothalamus and limbic system.
i do not know.



goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

17 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

unduki and b9, I really don't know although those are logical explanations.

I'm tending to think mine isn't a stim, although Atomsk seems to be describing a breathing stim.

Chronic infection?, very possible, but it does seem to coincide with my lack of exercise lately. Also when I'm stressed I tend to hold my breath and I don't even realize it.


I think it's time to change my routine to get some exercise in during the day. I have such a tough time getting motivated - which is true for most people. I gotta do it.


I appreciate all of your responses and ideas of possible/probable causes of this condition. Thanks :)



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 17, 2004
Posts: 91549
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

17 Feb 2012, 11:20 pm

I have those sobbing breaths quite a bit. I thought that I was the only one who got them.


_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/C ... 20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula


Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Posts: 1556

17 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
Atomsk wrote:
I have these weird quick shallow breathing patterns that I have to do sometimes. It's voluntary, but I feel a strong urge to do it. I have a bunch of different patterns too - it used to be worse when I was younger, although I also had many tics, stims, etc. at the time.

When I hear a recording of myself playing instruments, I can sometimes hear myself holding/very slowly releasing my breath (well, that part I can't hear), then suddenly and quickly filling my lungs. Obviously this doesn't happen with wind instruments, haha.


That's interesting that you have different patterns. I guess that's a stim then?

I can't seem to control this breath pattern. My "deep sigh" breath is controllable, even though when I need to sigh, it's mandatory.

Wind instruments breathing :) ...I'd bet playing wind instruments is healthy, with all of that deep breathing. :idea:


I think mine is a stim, yes. It used to be a compulsive, though. It might still be, actually. These days I don't really think about or notice it usually, when I do it. Most others wouldn't either. They are all very fast and specific rhythms involving a low amount of air movement, thus they are noiseless for everyone but me, pretty much.

Could you perhaps go into a more detailed explanation about what it is you are doing during these "sobbing breaths"? I'm a bit hazy on what it is you are doing.



goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 28, 2011
Posts: 785
Location: Interplanetary

18 Feb 2012, 12:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have those sobbing breaths quite a bit. I thought that I was the only one who got them.


Hi Cockney Rebel,
I've been enjoying all of your new avatars. Thank you : )



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: