Aspie manager of an Aspie employee -Dilemma

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Spawn195
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2012, 10:53 pm

I'm an Aspie manager and have a problem with an employee who also is an Aspie.
The fellow has worked for the company for about 14 years and became a manager after 10 of them. He screwed up really bad after 3 years of being a manager and lost his position; this is when I was hired to fill it in due to his professional incompetence.

My issue is that he has been screwing up a lot lately. He has made comments that borderline sexual harassment, he has nearly burned the establishment down, he has not been helpful with his coworkers and many other mishaps.

I have talked to him and warned him many times about my concerns, yet I have seen very little change in behaviour. He also told me recently that he doesn't have any drive in life but to make enough money to pay rent and to get the bare necessities so he may live and play videogames on his own -pretty much what he has already established for himself already. With that being said, he has made it clear that he is not willing to change his bad habits in the workplace.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I have empathy for his Aspergers, since I have it too.
But his professional attitude is very poor and I really wish he would get his act together so he puts his many skills to good use.
I really don't want to fire him as a result of him messing up and causing a significant disturbance in the workplace or company.

Any possible solutions that would increase his attitude towards work would be greatly appreciated!

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:08 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm

Spawn195 wrote:
I'm an Aspie manager and have a problem with an employee who also is an Aspie.
The fellow has worked for the company for about 14 years and became a manager after 10 of them. He screwed up really bad after 3 years of being a manager and lost his position; this is when I was hired to fill it in due to his professional incompetence.

My issue is that he has been screwing up a lot lately. He has made comments that borderline sexual harassment, he has nearly burned the establishment down, he has not been helpful with his coworkers and many other mishaps.

I have talked to him and warned him many times about my concerns, yet I have seen very little change in behaviour. He also told me recently that he doesn't have any drive in life but to make enough money to pay rent and to get the bare necessities so he may live and play videogames on his own -pretty much what he has already established for himself already. With that being said, he has made it clear that he is not willing to change his bad habits in the workplace.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I have empathy for his Aspergers, since I have it too.
But his professional attitude is very poor and I really wish he would get his act together so he puts his many skills to good use.
I really don't want to fire him as a result of him messing up and causing a significant disturbance in the workplace or company.

Any possible solutions that would increase his attitude towards work would be greatly appreciated!

Why don't you speak with your supervisor about this? That he commented that he has no drive in life might suggest he needs counseling of some sort.

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2012, 11:24 pm

"Now that's what I call a sticky situation."

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 12:12 am

Okay, I'm going to make a speculation here, so I may be way off base, but in the slight chance that this is helpful -

You mentioned that you filled his management position after he was demoted, so he may not have the proper respect for you, or may resent you, even subconsciously.

If he has absolutely no regard for any authority and doesn't value his job at all, then the chances of saving his job are probably unlikely.

However, if he has any desire to keep his job and may be just depressed at the moment, then I would suggest seeing if there is someone at the company who might be able to help you by being a mediator in this situation.

Because you replaced him (in his management role), and he's been at the company longer than you (I assume), he might take discipline from someone else differently. I'd also suggest if possible, to let him work alone as much as possible (but you may already do this).

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2012, 12:29 am

Spawn195 wrote:

In saying this, you've drawn a good picture of contrasts. Aspie or NT, it doesn't matter in business, because in any case you want to employ people who care enough at least to make an effort. By sharing this concern, you show that you care enough about your work environment. The other guy just doesn't seem up to the standard, assuming the accuracy of your description. Want to give an Aspie a break? Well, there's a LOT of unemployed Aspies out there, and like NTs, some would be an asset and some would be liabilities. The guy you described would appear to be of the latter.

Only question is in relation to the grounds for dismissal. But in your shoes, I'd probably create a vacancy where he's sitting.

Just my opinion.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 12:43 am

I would give him an ultimatum. Tell him to straighten up and fly right or he's fired. By keeping him on because you have empathy for him you are just enabling him. It's better to find out now that he needs to behave a certain way at work if he's going to keep a job, than it is to find out about it later. The older you get, the harder it is to get a new job.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kritie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

I know this might sound paranoid, but fired employees sometimes file discrimination lawsuits. If it's possible you might have to terminate the guy, you need to start documenting the reasons asap to defend your company in case he sues. Basically, if you do fire him for unsatisfactory performance, you will want to be able to show a court that he was fired for that reason and not because of his age or medical condition.

Keep a file of examples of substandard work and the feedback you give, log communications and save emails, document in writing the content of meetings where you discussed his performance, etc. If you do give him an ultimatum, put the terms into a written memo and have him sign it to acknowledge that he had the opportunity to ask questions and understands what is expected. Follow up (and documentation) is key.

Also, be very careful about what you say to him and others. Do not mention his Aspergers EVER to anyone. Keep all communications limited to his job performance. Even the most sympathetic "I realize you have Aspergers and know how hard it is, but..." comment can and will be twisted into evidence against you.

Hopefully he'll turn it around and improve his performance, but you need to be prepared in case he doesn't.