Can my friend install some of his games onto my laptop?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

I will be rooming with a close friend in San Diego in a few weeks from now. He owns a ton of amazing games like Skyrim and Rage that I am dying to play. I am totally cool with playing them on his computer, but I am wondering if there is a way we can install them on my new laptop as well? I know that some games allow you to install and use the same CD key for more than one computer because they know that many people who own the games...own more than one computer. I really want to play these games at the same time as him, rather than take turns. I don't have a lot of money now, so I want to avoid having to buy all the games myself if I don't have to. I will even go as far as to say that I sold my laptop to my friend so that they allow him to install the games on it. Are there any computer experts on here that know if this is even possible with the latest games? I have done it with older games, but with nothing recent.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Buying another copy is the only way you can get yourself out of this, sorry mate.

It's a sad evolution.

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Uprising wrote:
Buying another copy is the only way you can get yourself out of this, sorry mate.

It's a sad evolution.

Yeah that blows.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 7:35 am

Depends on the game.

I know back in the day, my brother and I would log into each others' Steam account and play whatever, but I don't know if they still let you do that.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 5:33 pm

I don't see how you could be stopped from doing that. How would they know whether it was two computers owned by different people or owned by the same person? They are in the same house.

For example, if I get a new computer I'm certainly not going to buy new games. I'd reinstall them on my new computer. How does anyone know that that new computer is mine or if my mother decided to get her own computer and it was hers?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 7:27 am

hanyo wrote:
How would they know whether it was two computers owned by different people or owned by the same person?

Well they might not appreciate the fact that the same username is logged in on two different computers simultaneously.

hanyo wrote:
They are in the same house.

Incorrect.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 7:45 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Well they might not appreciate the fact that the same username is logged in on two different computers simultaneously.

I was assuming this was games that you install from disks and not thinking about whether it was games you have to log in to play. I was thinking of something like my Sims 3 game which are on dvd and I don't need to log in anywhere to play them.

I don't use things like steam or origin so I don't know about them.

Jackson1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

At a LAN party we had to borrow a friend's Steam account since I don't own Black Ops, and it worked fine. I also have another friend who borrowed his account to play Portal 2. The only thing is that they can't be both logged in and playing at the same time. You can either copy their Steam library, put it on your pc then log in with their account, or take the time to download the games after logging in with their account. As far as physical copies of games go, you would have to use a crack/no cd patch. Which is illegal most of the time, so I don't recommend it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:36 am

hanyo wrote:
I don't use things like steam or origin so I don't know about them.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were replying to my Steam comment. Looking back at it, I see that you were replying to the first post.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

Alienboy wrote:
Uprising wrote:

It's a sad evolution.

Yeah that blows.

The OP wants to be able to buy the game for half price. The developers, quite rightly, want to sell it for the full price that rewards their labour. Tough luck. At some point they'll almost certainly decide that to flog more copies of the game they'll reduce it to a lower price. Buy it then.

The year is still young.