Who here has done well in customer service roles?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2012, 3:17 pm

I ask because I've been doing computer tech support for 4 years. From what I gather, any customer service job is traditionally very AS/AT unfriendly.
I've been working fulltime at my current job for 2 years. Gotta be doing something right.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:18 pm

I have worked at walmart lawn and garden, and am going to start that job again soon and did pretty well

NewlyHuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

I am also in IT/tech support. But I find that only tangentially customer service, to me it is mostly problem-solving, and my work is also largely admin work with rights, etc.

But I worked as a telephone operator in a retail company for years. Hell. Absolutely horrific.

OICU812
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

I've managed to work in customer service (Grocery Store) since Nov, 2010 but I'll probably be fired for circumstances beyond my control soon. I get anxiety talking to customers every now and than, especially on the phone. However I usually enjoy helping customers.

I don't deal with angry customers well at all though and usually just tune them out in an effort to get a manager quickly.

dark_angel198911
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

I nvr had problem with customers despite working in customer service for 4 years. It's coworkers I had problem with. Now even that is resolved after my pre-employment training at an employment agency. I now work at Sam's club giving out samples and I get along with everyone real well.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 7:50 pm

I've done cashier work a lot and I'm really good at it. I just have to have the right boss. If somebody at my register is an ass, I'll call them on it. If they ask me questions that are entirely too personal even for this town, I'll make up a very elaborate lie thats obviously a lie. I once told a guy I moved here because I'm in witness protection. I've refused to sell beer at a convenience store to somebody for making a rude remark about me to his friend when he thought I couldn't hear him. I got robbed once and even though my instructions were to turn over all the money, I gave the guy the stores money, when he asked for my purse he crossed a line. I said no, get out, I've already called the cops. I hadn't, there was no alarm. He didn't know that.

I'm great at running a register and I'm always within a dollar, and I'm very friendly to most people. It's when people are not, that I'm not. With me, the customer is right when he's right, and when he's wrong I'm not pretending that he's right.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm

I don't know if this counts but I work at Mc Donalds for 10 years and they nearly always put me on taking drive through orders for lunch rush. I don't know if that counts because it's less of a social interaction then most customer service. However I did get complemented regularly by my boss for "suggestive selling". That's when you try to up sell someone on thier fries or drink or offer a drink to someone that didn't order one.

taxman
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

I could see someone maybe doing well at a drive-thru because it probably involves a lot of repeated actions.

I worked at Borders for a while and did pretty well most of the time. I think it was because the customer questions tended to involve my special interests, I really enjoy books and have a literature background.

I did not like working the register, which tended to involve multitasking and made me nervous. A lot of the negative interactions usually involved the register.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 3:10 am

I've done well in tipped occupations, and my brother, who is symptomatic but undiagnosed, has done even better. I still do delivery part time, and clear enough to pay the bills on about 20 hours a week. My brother, on the other hand, waits tables at a wine bar and clears about a grand a week on 25 hours; almost makes me regret having gone to school and working in the trades. Delivery suits me better anyway though, minimal supervision and contact with the customer and relatively good pay.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 6:28 am

I work in technical support since >1 year and so far am doing well

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 6:36 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ms_squirrel
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

I can deal with customers just fine because it is usually not repeated interactions and I can fake it for 30 minutes or so. Co-workers are exhausting and I can't deal with them. They love to point out quirks and tell you how weird you are. I can't fake it that long. LOL I now work in a retail store by myself that only averages about 3 customers a day and I leave all music and computer sounds off. It works well for me. I really hate having to see people and loved working at home better but I have to pay bills somehow.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

I've done pretty well in customer service/tech support, I suspect because it is completely irrelevant to me whether the customer is upset/angry/stressed. I just focus on solving the problem or answering the question.

I do prefer email support to phone or face-to-face.

HiraikotsuRider
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2012, 4:34 am

I've been at a home furniture store for nearly two and a half years now, and I don't have a problem with customer service anymore. When I started (I was 17 years old) I was awful because I didn't have a clue how to act. But I learned by watching my colleagues and copying them. Now I love it.

Customer service, not the job. They're making me redundant.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

I worked in retail for a little over two years. I did OK for the most part, mainly because it was in one of my areas of interest (computers/tech), and a lot of interactions with customers involved more rote tasks than social ones (going over products, working the point-of-sale equipment, explaining the sales policy, etc...). I did have a hard time with approaching customers who needed help, and dealing with unusual customer service issues.

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2012, 7:27 am

I've been in the same customer service position at a Supermarket for 5 years, but I'm now in store #4. Besides store #4 being an absolute mistake (everyone is insane), I've survived okay. Funny thing is Centrelink may move me to the dole next semester (study allowance only covers minimum course length plus one semester, this is my "plus one semester") so I will have to quit.

In terms of my survival I have an innocent face and I've employed my acting skills to take advantage of it. I spent the first year playing the customer service assistant role until I got used to being one. I've also concentrated on being good at tasks which take me away from customers to help give me a break. Also when I've gotten regular shifts I've developed routines around them to help me prepare for them, such as having coffee before I start, arriving a bit early and planning my breaks to include food and drinks with minimal rush.